The $100 Oil Change

Super Lube advertises full synthetic @ $82.99 + tax. Not sure whether they add a "disposal fee" like Midas does. C$, so not bad, but I'll keep doing my own.

In the late '80s a friend gave me a $5 off coupon for a new place. If everyone he gave a coupon to used it, he got a free oil change. Anyway, they were really aggressive and insisted on adding a $5 additive, so there went my savings. I never went back.

I see the math. Anyone can. Post #10 is in focus.

However, I too can't trust. The fast lube joint personnel I've seen scare me. Anyone who's the "manager" knows he's in a backwater and wants nothing but to get out. The lower level employees in my neck of the woods are not at all attractive.

I'd seriously consider the theory that corporate customers are targeted for the "cheap oil flim-flam" because they're disconnected from the vehicle.
This. This right here.

I do my own and generally pay around $15-$20 for a full syn oil change with good filter.

I have to bring my fleet Ford Escape to get oil changes though. Ford Dealership (this one seems pretty good) is about $75-$85 dollars for filter and 6 quarts of Motorcraft 5W-20. Not sure if they're using synthetic or a blend to be honest. I'll go look at invoice.

I had several $100 oil changes at the subaru dealership. Mostly to build up some good will if the car has problems at some point. I'm not going to a quick change place for $100 unless we are in the middle of a road trip, and/or have severe time constraints.

I used to use the Firestone 19.99 semi synthetic coupon and then they switched to conventional. Then it was Walmart 19.99 pit stop oil change until I had an experience there that now makes me very careful about who touches my car.

I had several $100 oil changes at the subaru dealership. Mostly to build up some good will if the car has problems at some point. I'm not going to a quick change place for $100 unless we are in the middle of a road trip, and/or have severe time constraints.
Wife's car went to two different Subaru dealers for 99 dollar oil change the past 2 OC. I was with her when she picked the car up as it was a drop off. The writer said, "Sir, the technician noticed the drain plug wasn't tight. You would not be covered if you damaged the engine."
I replied, "The last service was done by the selling authorised Subaru service centre" That shut him up. No drips seen over months of parking the hot engine in the driveway.
This was after my haggling with them on the phone earlier to do an "A' la carte" rear diff fluid D&F. The best price they came up with was $131.00. for this 15min. job - on a bad day - with the car already on the lift getting an OC. I said "No, that is excessive. I guess you are going to make this old man lay on the ground!"
I also asked then to check for a bad rear axle bearing. They said it was a tire in the rear with odd wear. There are no tire on this car with odd wear. I check them every couple months. Noise is so loud you can barely think. Now I am worried about my wife's safety on the highway. I am not used to Subaru giving us the GM style warranty blow off. - Ken

Last edited:
Everything is going up. I believe $100-120 for a oil change is the standard now. 5 quart jugs of oil for $30-35 or more are the new standard.

The dealership I have prepaid maintenance through is at $85ish for the oil change, which after taxes is darn close to $100. With a tire rotation, it comes out to about $125-130.

I vaguely miss having a vehicle I could put conventional or synth-blend into. Ah well.

The dealership I have prepaid maintenance through is at $85ish for the oil change, which after taxes is darn close to $100. With a tire rotation, it comes out to about $125-130.

I vaguely miss having a vehicle I could put conventional or synth-blend into. Ah well.
Have I missed it or is there still is no API or ILSAC requirements or tests for calling oil "synthetic" or "semi-synthetic"? So its mostly marketing fluff anyways IMO. My subaru needs API SN "Resource Conserving" so I put that in at least. In the manual it says 5W30 or 5W40 conventional oil maybe used if 0W20 synthetic is not available.
For some changes, I looked on my shelf, no 0W20 was available and a jug of 5W30 PYB SN (now a "synthetic blend"!) was sitting there so it got put in... Maybe with a turbo engine you should be a bit more careful, but the 2.5l in my car spends most of its time on the highway at 60mph and 1600rpm so the oil isn't getting too hot, but I do feel better with a XW30 in there for helping keep the bearings happy with all the low rpm running.

Valvoline has the most coupons in the industry.

90 percent of my changes I go there for a syn blend oil change

After a 50 percent coupon I pay about 30 bucks for the ford (6qt) and 26 bucks for the hyundai (4.5qt).

If your time is money you dont want to have the dealer do it and mess you around for a few hours in a waiting room, I can get in and out of valvoline in 15 minutes most times with no wait.

Looks at title of post
Looks at cost of oil and filters in my stash, shakes head and wonder why people ask why I have a stash.

sheet.JPG
filter.JPG

... and a new plastic Ford drain plug. ...
Do you need a new plug every oil change? Was the old one bad?

Last edited:
There’s a place in Seabrook NH I used to go to for a basic oil change when I didn’t use a coupon at Firestone and it was $24 (now $28) and they used Sunoco Ultra 5w30 synthetic blend with (I think) ProTec oil filters. They did an ok job, I never had any issues. Sunoco full synthetic is $52 which compared to the Jiffy Lube and VIOC down the street isn’t too bad. Now I just do it myself.

When I picked up my BMW in Munich 9 years ago, Mobil 1 0w40 was approx $100+for a 5liter jug. That was at a big box store, not the dealer. America has dirt cheap oil.
1999. Dijon France. My wife’s brother paying $120 for oil and filter change on his 316 BMW.
Friend with Peugeot 607 back in 2006 paying even more than that.

They use REAL Synthetic s in Europe. Not the group III used here.
Can’t imagine the cost today.

You should be happy to pay them extra so their liability fund will cover when they underfill by 3 quarts and theoretically buy you a new engine.

1999. Dijon France. My wife’s brother paying $120 for oil and filter change on his 316 BMW.
Friend with Peugeot 607 back in 2006 paying even more than that.

They use REAL Synthetic s in Europe. Not the group III used here.
Can’t imagine the cost today.
Were they running 20k km OCI's? Did those engines really need especially great oil except for very long OCI's?

I bought the $199 BMW 3 year oil change package for my 2 Series and X1; you get as many oil changes as the CBS calls for over 3 years. At worst it works out to around $66 per change

Wife's car went to two different Subaru dealers for 99 dollar oil change the past 2 OC. I was with her when she picked the car up as it was a drop off. The writer said, "Sir, the technician noticed the drain plug wasn't tight. You would not be covered if you damaged the engine."
I replied, "The last service was done by the selling authorised Subaru service centre" That shut him up. No drips seen over months of parking the hot engine in the driveway.
This was after my haggling with them on the phone earlier to do an "A' la carte" rear diff fluid D&F. The best price they came up with was $131.00. for this 15min. job - on a bad day - with the car already on the lift getting an OC. I said "No, that is excessive. I guess you are going to make this old man lay on the ground!"
I also asked then to check for a bad rear axle bearing. They said it was a tire in the rear with odd wear. There are no tire on this car with odd wear. I check them every couple months. Noise is so loud you can barely think. Now I am worried about my wife's safety on the highway. I am not used to Subaru giving us the GM style warranty blow off. - Ken
Ask who the factory representative is for the area and get his phone number.

Back