07' Chevy 5.3...Massive oil Burner? Chevy problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2001 5.3 burned oil for about the first 15,000 miles, then it burned none until about 50,000. It now burns some oil, but it depends on the brand and weight. I get my oil on sale or with rebates, so it is very seldom that I run the same oil twice in a row. The most the engine ever burned was a little more than a quart in 5200 miles. That was my last oil change. I think it was 4 year old (Oct 2006) Quaker State 5W-30 Synthetic.

I have grown up in a Chevrolet family and this breaks my little heart... although... I did buy two souped up Ford Fusions :)

Anyway... I don't know about this "baffle" fix. One even said that after performed GM, found it acceptable to burn 1 QT per 3000 Mi. So really it doesn't fix a dang thing and you are then driving around starving some pistons from lubrication. At what point does that become a problem? and what backwoods hillbilly band aid will they throw on it then?

IMO... I'd sell the truck... may seem drastic and the thing may run for 500,000 miles... but isn't peace of mind worth something?

Originally Posted By: kemo
3/4 and 1 ton, yes.

I could show you a few Ford "commercial" videos too.
thumbsup2.gif

Doesn't change anything.

...to the OP, sorry for going off topic.

I can only add to this that I had a 2007 Silverado with the 5.3L( with AFM )and burned no oil at all between 5K OCI's. Not a drop( measurable on dipstick anwyay ). Had a 2005 Silverado with the HO 5.3l( VIN B )before that and no oil burned there either over 5K OCI's. I would be furious if I burned 2qts in 3K and the mfg told me it was normal.

Last edited:
If you have a 5.3 with AFM, don't stretch out those OCI's.

Take that to the bank. I don't care what the monitor says.

Do a search under GM 5.3 oil consumption. Definitely a problem with AFM engines from 2007. Not sure about later models. I'd be plenty mad if I spent 40-50K on a vehicle that had this problem.

I find the whole situation unacceptable.

Define "better" oil.

while GM drags their feet, we still have the problem at hand of the oil burner which he still would like to remedy. quite honestly... i see a dead horse being beaten, but if we could try a couple of experiments with viscosity and something were to lower consumption or end it, then i would leave well enough alone after that...

any thoughts? I have considered running Kendal fs 10w30.

Diesel like delvac 15w40 if your climate isn't too cold.
I would also check for leaks,oil pressure sending unit,main seals,PCV if present could be feeding oil back through the combustion cycle.
What do your plugs look like?

So is the 5.3L a 'massive oil burner'? Or is it only the 5.3L with the AFM /8 cyl. that deactivates to 4 that is burning oil? Or is it neither?

Since the 4.8, 5.3, 6.0, and 6.2 are essentially the exact same engine I can't see much here... just another case of "internet amplification" where the Net makes a lot of smoke over a very samll fire.

We own several 6.0's and a few 5.3's and have no oil consumption issues in anything with less than 250k miles on it even in extreme duty cycles.

We have an 07 trailblazer with the 5.3 and afm. 70k miles and uses maybe 1/2 qt between 3k mile changes. Castrol 5-30 Dino and Gm filter. Great engine so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back