Chevy 5.3 oil pickup tube Oring...done!

Rather than hijack the other 5.3 Oring thread I’ll start a new one. My 2005 2WD Chevy 5.3 was experiencing startup lifter rattle and low oil pressure. I considered doing it myself but when my local shop said they would do the labor for $200.00 if I furnish the pan gasket and Oring, I told them to have at it! It took them 2 1/2 hours, even in between customers and answering the phone. With the old Oring cold start oil pressure was 25 lbs and hot oil pressure was 40 lbs at 70 mph at 1,900 rpm’s. With the new Oring cold start oil pressure is 40 lbs and hot oil pressure at 70 mph is 50 lbs and the rattle on startup is gone! At 219,000 miles I was fearing the worst but this seems to have worked for me....fingers crossed.

Hope it holds. That’s awesome you found a shop that would let you bring your own parts. They are few and far between these days and most use junk parts.
If my cousin, or my tech friends can't do my automotive work, there's an indy shop in town that does it. He has no problems with me bringing my own parts. And, his labor rate for me is $60 an hour. Yes, he and his other mechanic (only him and another tech) are ASE certified.

Hope it holds. That’s awesome you found a shop that would let you bring your own parts. They are few and far between these days and most use junk parts.
This is a small dad and son rural shop I’ve used for years. I told them I would like to use the ac/delco pan gasket and they said it would be fine if I supplied it.

If my cousin, or my tech friends can't do my automotive work, there's an indy shop in town that does it. He has no problems with me bringing my own parts. And, his labor rate for me are $60 an hour. Yes, he and his other mechanic (only him and another tech) are ASE certified.
That’s great. At my shop we allow it too. Though their is a parts shortage so we have angry customers and no work. We need head gaskets for a Chevy S10 ordered them two weeks ago they should be here tomorrow hopefully the customer or us could not find them in stock anywhere and same with some other parts for different vehicles too. The parts people at all the stores said they can’t get hardly anything from their suppliers which is hurting all the independent shops.

This is a small dad and son rural shop I’ve used for years. I told them I would like to use the ac/delco pan gasket and they said it would be fine if I supplied it.
That’s great. At least you could find the part here in my area can’t find anything right now due to the shortage. 😡

That’s great. At my shop we allow it too. Though their is a parts shortage so we have angry customers and no work. We need head gaskets for a Chevy S10 ordered them two weeks ago they should be here tomorrow hopefully the customer or us could not find them in stock anywhere and same with some other parts for different vehicles too. The parts people at all the stores said they can’t get hardly anything from their suppliers which is hurting all the independent shops.
Just like the ammo situation. I guess this pandemic has affected everyone in the business world.

Rather than hijack the other 5.3 Oring thread I’ll start a new one. My 2005 2WD Chevy 5.3 was experiencing startup lifter rattle and low oil pressure. I considered doing it myself but when my local shop said they would do the labor for $200.00 if I furnish the pan gasket and Oring, I told them to have at it! It took them 2 1/2 hours, even in between customers and answering the phone. With the old Oring cold start oil pressure was 25 lbs and hot oil pressure was 40 lbs at 70 mph at 1,900 rpm’s. With the new Oring cold start oil pressure is 40 lbs and hot oil pressure at 70 mph is 50 lbs and the rattle on startup is gone! At 219,000 miles I was fearing the worst but this seems to have worked for me....fingers crossed.
Thank you for the info! So many people never tell “ the rest of the story”.

I might have to do this eventually on my 05. It does have some lifter noise on cold start but oil pressure is still over 40 at startup and close to 50 on the highway hot. 203k miles.

I might have to do this eventually on my 05. It does have some lifter noise on cold start but oil pressure is still over 40 at startup and close to 50 on the highway hot. 203k miles.
I've been told (no way of knowing if it's true) that if it's just starting to go, air will get into the lifters and make them noisy, despite having good oil pressure still. It would explain why it's dead silent when hot I guess.

I always thought it was just a little piston slap when cold but then I realized one day that it always goes away under load, so it's not piston slap.

I've been told (no way of knowing if it's true) that if it's just starting to go, air will get into the lifters and make them noisy, despite having good oil pressure still. It would explain why it's dead silent when hot I guess.

I always thought it was just a little piston slap when cold but then I realized one day that it always goes away under load, so it's not piston slap.
It’s because the oil has to cycle up to there when it’s cold and it doesn’t do it as fast as when it’s warm. Every older vehicle I have does it. Hydraulic lash adjusters (lifters) is what it is making the noise.

It’s because the oil has to cycle up to there when it’s cold and it doesn’t do it as fast as when it’s warm. Every older vehicle I have does it. Hydraulic lash adjusters (lifters) is what it is making the noise.
I guess I'm just used to my old small block Chevy's and my 76 350 Olds that don't do it. Just my 4.8. I know the Olds is known for pumping too much oil to the top end and starving at high extended high rpm, so I guess it comes down to the design.

Back