The $100 Oil Change

My son mentioned to me today that he does 8K mile oil changes on his 2020 Ford Explorer, 72K miles. Since his company pays the maintenance on the vehicle and he drives a lot he doesn't really worry about the cost. Goes to the local Valvoline franchise and gets 5/6 quarts Synthetic, filter and a new plastic Ford drain plug. I think Valvoline is very good oil and the service at the center is top rate but the cost astounded me.

I am a lifetime do it myself oil changer and can't fathom paying that much.

What do you figure an oil change costs?

Valvoline.jpg

$109.99 for 5 qt of PP at our local Jiffy Lube.

Then again, you can buy 5 qts of boutique oil (HPL, Redline, etc.) and a filter for $90-100 too, so there are many ways for your oil change to cost that much.

OTOH, $59.95 at my local Honda dealer for 4.6 quarts of Petro-Canada 0w-20 full synthetic and a Honda filter. No appointment needed, 45 minutes in and out. Kinda makes you think…

I pay a bit over $30 with tax. I supply oil and filter. Been doing business with the local guy for years, and spent much $ there and never whined about the price. He takes care of me. Too old and broken down to do it myself anymore.

He knows I am fussy about oil and filters. Normally give him an extra $20 and say buy donuts tomorrow for the crew.
Seems to work. I call for an oil change, he asks what day and what time? Good for both of us. (y)

I imagine an itemized bill looks like this:

(1) quart synthetic oil, $6.50 x 6 = $39
(1) oil filter = $15
(1) drain plug = $10
Shop supplies = $5
Disposal fee = $5
Total $74

$25 for labor wouldn't stand out to anyone, so there's your $100 oil change. What's the issue ?

What you or I can go to Walmart and buy the oil and filter for is irrelevant. People going to oil-change shops have zero interest or ability or tools or space to do oil changes, so they pay others to do this.

It's about $90 where I work for full synthetic Pennzoil Platinum. Valvoline is extremely fast and convenient so you pay extra for that. Many shops no longer do oil changes as a loss leader, and often the people who get the "$20 special" are the worst kinds of customers. Their wheel could be about to fall off and they'll think you're trying to scam them with unnecessary services.

That’s a 19.95 oil change at my local Ford dealership. They’d just use Motorcraft blend instead of full syn. If you really pressed the issue they’d probably use their bulk dexos full syn stuff for you. They do the same 19.95 deal for GM’s that require dexos. The drain plug would be additional though.

When I picked up my BMW in Munich 9 years ago, Mobil 1 0w40 was approx $100+for a 5liter jug. That was at a big box store, not the dealer. America has dirt cheap oil.

I don't know what local shops charge now, but I worked at a franchised oil change and tune-up shop here back in 1980.

Note that all prices are in Canadian dollars.

We charged $14.88 for bulk (Esso) 10W-30, and $19.88 for Quaker State 10W-30. We did not offer a synthetic, and no weights other than 10W-30.

The cost included lubing the front end and u-joints (if applicable), and a cursory 15-point inspection, of which four points were a visual inspection of the four tires. We also checked the air filter, tranny fluid (manual or automatic), PSF, brake fluid, diff, belts and hoses ... perhaps lights too, it's been a long time.

Taxes were extra.

Let's say that synthetic would have been $25 - $30 had we offered it. Per the Bank of Canada's inflation calculator, $25 then translates to $87.50 now, and $30 would now be $105.

So maybe $100 isn't bad.

My cost of doing oil changes on the three vehicles I service now varies from about $25 to $30. That's using ST synthetic and generally factory filters.

The whole system is designed to take coupons, which will drastically cut the cost so if you do go to a lube place always download a rebate or coupon.

I worked for VOIC during their heyday here when they were open seven days a week up until 7 or 8PM M-F, but they've since retracted to bankers' hours and with the automotive centers at Walmart and dealerships offering quickie lube services for less or with a bit more of a service guarantee, the quickie lube market here is nowhere what it was circa 1995. I'm not positive, but it looks like I can get a virtually free oil change at the local Ford Quick Lane with the payoff for them is getting to go over the car for other things like brakes or radiator flushes, and getting me as a customer used to going to them on a regular basis. But can't be bothered as I use full syn and my car is literally the easiest car to work on I've ever had. It probably doesn't help that there was a major local chain here called Mr. Oil Change that initially used Quaker State, then shockingly to us, moved to Castrol products. The owner was a crank that scammed Castrol with fake books and they got wise and stopped supplying him, so he left the signage up and was using a local "Superior" oil supplier until his disgruntled employees blew him in and he was indicted for fraud...

Our basic oil change then was $19.99 (w/ coupon IIRC) which equates to about $39 today. We charged about $50 for full syn which is $97 today adjusting for inflation, pretty close to what Walmart charges I think. I was thinking of going to a VIOC a couple years ago during a particularly brutal winter and was shocked that they wanted like $73 for a MaxLife blend OC, plus other "fees" and taxes. Nope! The one good thing about VIOC is the free "top-offs" of any fluid including windshield washer fluid, especially if you had a burner, and we did a lot of those...

A Jiffy Lube finally opened in the area about 1-2 years ago but can't think of bothering with them. Having said that, I probably would be my most annoying quickie lube customer at this point, the guy who did it himself spring to fall, but would come in for a change during the long winters and was super anal about everything LOL....

My last PP oil change was 6$ for 5.5qt, roll of shop towels, and filter.
A roll of shop towels?

(Passport) I would never pay that much but atleast the task is getting done and I am sure his company can afford it. I'm with you and that's why the last time I paid to have an oil change was long ago in 1980.

Last edited:
I see the math. Anyone can. Post #10 is in focus.

However, I too can't trust. The fast lube joint personnel I've seen scare me. Anyone who's the "manager" knows he's in a backwater and wants nothing but to get out. The lower level employees in my neck of the woods are not at all attractive.

I'd seriously consider the theory that corporate customers are targeted for the "cheap oil flim-flam" because they're disconnected from the vehicle.

Back