Helping a friend with an oil change (previous change was at an oil-change chain)

A friend phoned Sunday afternoon - he had his 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan up on ramps, and found he did not have the correct socket to remove the plastic cover on the cartridge-filter housing. I think he'd had all previous changes done at the nearby oil-change franchise.

I took a 6-point 24 mm socket over (after doing a quick online search), and with much effort he cracked the cover loose. This was new to me, but the housing is plastic with a protruding hex nut. The socket did slip once, which makes me think previous oil-changers had perhaps used a slightly larger socket (perhaps a 1") and rounded off the plastic hex a bit.

Then it was time to drain the oil. The drain plug was also on way too tight. It was a real battle to crack it loose.

It all turned out fine, but the the overly tight filter cap and drain plug reinforce my desire to do my own oil changes until I can't any longer. I get how they don't want any leaks, but with the filter housing particularly, there's a big fat O-ring - the housing really doesn't have to be very tight.

I know, I preach to the choir - consider this merely another data point.

I changed my son's GF's oil Sunday, 2010 Subaru Outback. Both the drain plug and oil filter were on tighter than the main screws of the USS Missouri. I always get a bit nervous having to crank down on someone else's vehicle in these cases. Would love to ask the jackass who last worked on that Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Kumbaya......let's all join hands. Glad you were able to reinforce what ever decision was at hand.

Smart choice on the 6 point socket. I’ve rounded off many of those type with a 12 point socket. Then I bought the oil filter socket set which is low profile 6 point sockets. I’ll be using a 24mm this weekend on my uncles truck oil filter. Since it’s up top I’ll just take a regular 6 point 24. Hope it’s not on too tight. My dealership has done the only two oil changes on it. Those cartridge housings are always tight. Personally I think they swell up a bit too along with over tightening. I know I was practically hanging off one the other day and couldn’t get it broke free it took 3 people pulling on my monster sized ratchet.

Kumbaya......let's all join hands. Glad you were able to reinforce what ever decision was at hand.
Y'know, I was quite worried that the plastic filter housing was going to break. I said to my friend, "It's your call - part of me thinks you should wait until tomorrow and take it back to your oil-change place and let them deal with it."

But he was determined to go ahead with it, and it all worked out.

Should be good for next time.

Smart choice on the 6 point socket. I’ve rounded off many of those type with a 12 point socket. Then I bought the oil filter socket set which is low profile 6 point sockets. I’ll be using a 24mm this weekend on my uncles truck oil filter. Since it’s up top I’ll just take a regular 6 point 24. Hope it’s not on too tight. My dealership has done the only two oil changes on it. Those cartridge housings are always tight. Personally I think they swell up a bit too along with over tightening. I know I was practically hanging off one the other day and couldn’t get it broke free it took 3 people pulling on my monster sized ratchet.
With the 24 mm socket being a bit sloppy on the housing, I think he should try a 15/16" (which is a tad smaller). Should fit perfectly.

Anymore I just keep a filter housing on the shelf
20230620_173117.jpg

You just need to eat a few more eggrolls for more powah!

For the first time in a very long time I was blocked by an overly tight bolt on a Honda CR-V.

It wasn't the oil, but the transmission. Just one turn and it was supposed to be a quick and easy fluid change. It turned out to be so impossible, that I broke a pretty big sweat trying to get it removed.

The fluid had been changed at least three times beforehand so I'm not too worried. But like a lot of you I tend to be a perfectionist.

That one bolt kept me from doing all the fluids and filters I wanted to before handing it off to my daughter who will be two and a half hours away. The car drives fine but I was planning on having her keep it for a long time since she isn't into cars at all and that one should be easy to service. Just have to handle that one bolt.

Hyundai's and Kia's manual transmission drain plugs are a very thin head 24mm hex, so they say. But you better use a six point 15/16ths! They use a aluminum washer and it's way too easy to overtighten.

Back