The $100 Oil Change

People pay others to do this work for multiple and valid (to them) reasons. If $115 is the going market rate, so be it.... Telling someone they could save over 50% of that cost if they DIY, they don't care.
I agree. I meant those of us here. The average person gets the ewwies when you suggest they even pop the hood to check oil.

I’ve heard someone say that they make too much money to do something themselves. I guess I understand if doing something takes away from your salary but we’re not working 24/7.

Just to illustrate: I believe the OTD price for a 5qt Amsoil oil change at my shop currently runs in the $90-110 range, and that's using Amsoil OE along with an FVP jobber filter.

As an employee, I pay cost+10% for materials, plus tax. That same oil change runs me ~$35.

Just to illustrate: I believe the OTD price for a 5qt Amsoil oil change at my shop currently runs in the $90-110 range, and that's using Amsoil OE along with an FVP jobber filter.

As an employee, I pay cost+10% for materials, plus tax. That same oil change runs me ~$35.
You’re probably barely breaking even at those prices? Tech gets .3, it’s .3 that is normally sold at $200+/hr but has to get charged at a lower hourly rate in order to make the labor competitive with quick lubes. Parts get sold at a price that is barely above cost.

You’re probably barely breaking even at those prices? Tech gets .3, it’s .3 that is normally sold at $200+/hr but has to get charged at a lower hourly rate in order to make the labor competitive with quick lubes. Parts get sold at a price that is barely above cost.

By breaking even, you mean at the retail level? I won't claim inside knowledge of the books, but I have to imagine you're correct. Assuming the oil and filter cost $30 wholesale, add in .3 in labor (split between a vacuum/tire guy, an underhood guy, a bottom side guy, and a service writer), plus free windshield wash top-off which regularly amounts to a full gallon, plus the basic materials needed (oil reminder stickers, paper for invoices, toner, credit card fees, brake clean, rags) and it's a net loss.

By breaking even, you mean at the retail level? I won't claim inside knowledge of the books, but I have to imagine you're correct. Assuming the oil and filter cost $30 wholesale, add in .3 in labor (split between a vacuum/tire guy, an underhood guy, a bottom side guy, and a service writer), plus free windshield wash top-off which regularly amounts to a full gallon, plus the basic materials needed (oil reminder stickers, paper for invoices, toner, credit card fees, brake clean, rags) and it's a net loss.
That might be a different story since it sounds like a full service quick lube. Those employees are not being paid a full technician wage so the “hourly rate” can probably be a lot lower.

That might be a different story since it sounds like a full service quick lube. Those employees are not being paid a full technician wage so the “hourly rate” can probably be a lot lower.
It is a full service quick lube, and the employees are all being paid hourly + a small commission for selling things like filters, suspension checks, tires, etc. At our current rate of $165/hr, .3 equates to $49.50 regardless of the oil change being house semi-syn or Amsoil.

Using Amsoil as an example: assuming the wholesale cost of 5 quarts + filter lands at ~$35, plus the $49.50 in labor, you get $84.50. Account for shop supplies, general expenses, etc., and the $100 price tag suddenly becomes a bargain.

plus free windshield wash top-off which regularly amounts to a full gallon
Never thought about that and I'll bet that really does add up. Do you make your own washer fluid, use tap water + tablets or some concentrate ? Can't imagine your shop is buying 1-gallon jugs for this.

Not reading through the entire thread,

This is why I used to go to the local Chevy dealer for the truck. 6 qts. Dexos Syn, filter, tires, etc...$69.95

I could barely beat that at any of the parts stores since all the deals are 5 qts. My only gripe was the 2 hours it took so now I'm doing it myself.

9 liters of oil - $85
1 filter - $12

so with tax my cost for an oil change is more than $100

Dealer special . $69.95 . 5qts synthetic 0w-20 and Nissan filter . I make an appointment so I'm in and out in under an hour . Free coffee , bottled water , TV , Wi-Fi . I'm retired so my time is my own .

Never thought about that and I'll bet that really does add up. Do you make your own washer fluid, use tap water + tablets or some concentrate ? Can't imagine your shop is buying 1-gallon jugs for this.

We have dyed methanol concentrate delivered in 55gal drums, with a water mixing valve attached to the top. Very simple setup.

Back