That's all folks....last Aussie car produced today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hate to see that … sad to see any country lose manufacturing jobs and the opportunity it brings for folks of all backgrounds …

Well, hope for a smooth riding Caprice on Monday …

As a Adelaide resident it's no surprise to see them close. they were making cars for a market that no longer existed and GM USA (much like ford USA) wouldn't let them make cars for the global market. with Australia's small 23million pop, you cannot support a domestic car market that can only sell cars to one small market.

I'm glad the aussie tax payer (me) is no longer bank rolling a poorly managed foreign business that has been abusing the good will of the government and tax payers for years.

Yes it's sad Australia no longer makes cars, but in order to compete in a global market, you must have access to that global market. Ford and GM never gave the Aussie's a chance.

Regards
Jordan

P.S: I'm honestly surprised that one of the Korea or Indian firms didn't swoop in and get all the plant at fire sale prices. I guess they don't want to go though the union bull-dust (another reason and story part of the failure, for another day)

Yeah, I read about that. A sad bit of history passing.

A year of so ago, my brother and I were at a local car show. There was an unusual car at the show. It looked a bit like a late '60s Dodge Dart, but it didn't look like a Dart. The front and rear were like no Dart we had ever seen. Under the hood was the familiar slant six, and the drivers side was on the right hand side of the car. Seems it was an Australian car that had found its way to Pennsylvania. An unusual car in this neck of the woods.

I was sorry to read that news.

Jordan,
back in 2014, it was an interesting thing with Toyota...they were claiming that their cars were uneconomical, as wages were so high, so it was time to close and import.

An astute reporter suggested that it was a circular argument, Oz high prices (not just for cars) , Oz high wages to pay for the cars, so how much will a Camry drop for the average Aussie, reducing wages pressure when they are imported....ummmmm....none as it seems.

When we moved to Adelaide in the '70s so that my sister could go to school (Vic wouldn't let a spina bifida kid in a chair into "normal" schools), Dad welded chassis for Chrysler.

"More than a third of its "future product portfolio" will now come from Europe, with vehicles also to be sourced from North America and Asia."

Huge shame ... apparently a decision by the dudes at headquarters to outsource. Someone sold them a business model that supposedly helps the bottom line.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Jordan,
back in 2014, it was an interesting thing with Toyota...they were claiming that their cars were uneconomical, as wages were so high, so it was time to close and import.

An astute reporter suggested that it was a circular argument, Oz high prices (not just for cars) , Oz high wages to pay for the cars, so how much will a Camry drop for the average Aussie, reducing wages pressure when they are imported....ummmmm....none as it seems.

When we moved to Adelaide in the '70s so that my sister could go to school (Vic wouldn't let a spina bifida kid in a chair into "normal" schools), Dad welded chassis for Chrysler.

I have only visited Australia and admittedly don't know much about it's manufacturing economics. But, if its car manufacturing is anything like America, the "high-wages" statement means high for the skills set required to do the job.

There are people I personally know, who work in automotive manufacturing, who think assembly workers should have the same wage as tradesmen (plumbers, electricians, carpenters, etc.) Which is utter nonsense when you compare the job related tasks, training, and certifications require to do each respective job.

When low-skilled assembly workers unionize and/or demand higher wages, it sounds great in theory. But, they are unknowningly contributing to their own future layoff. It would be great if an assembly line worker straight out of high school with a little on-the-job training could make the same money as skilled tradesmen with yrs of experience and certifications.

But unfortunately, and as the comments about gov't funding for Holden likely indicate, ecoonmics do not work that way for long... or at least not without the tax payer propping it up.

Mixed feelings. I happen to agree with the sentiment with numerous other posters, but its hard to see people's livelihoods swept away too.

Part of this blow will be offset in the short-term with S.A. government putting out a tender for 400 buses; with an aim for final assembly and bodywork to occur locally. For those unfamiliar with this; the Government will purchase bus chassis from a manufacturer such as MB, Volvo, Scania, M.A.N., etc. The bodywork (i.e. interior and exterior fitment, chassis extension to desired size etc) is then performed locally.
In many locations, buses are often sold as "Integrals," that is, like you'd buy a car - its driveable the minute you sign the dotted line.
News article on the tender: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south...899fd74a78043c7

Last edited:
I feel badly for you guys. There is a whole bunch of junk produced today, most of which won't meet the needs of those down under.

On the other hand, after a time it may be a good opportunity to start up an automotive manufacturing business, building a domestic vehicle.

Government can only support a car manufacturer for so long .

It also doesn't help the people not buying vehicles that are manufactured in their own country.

Well that succs. I remember when GM needed a hot rod sedan and coupe combo for their flailing Pontiac division around, when as it, 2004, who did they turn to? Holden. Took the Commodore was it?... and boom-- Pontiac G8 and whatever model of Holden was the coupe version rebadged as Pontiac GTO.

The Pontiac G8 GTP or whatever the top shelf hotrod trim pkg was, was a seriously cool car.

I'm a Ford guy myself but still a shame...
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
Yeah, I read about that. A sad bit of history passing.

A year of so ago, my brother and I were at a local car show. There was an unusual car at the show. It looked a bit like a late '60s Dodge Dart, but it didn't look like a Dart. The front and rear were like no Dart we had ever seen. Under the hood was the familiar slant six, and the drivers side was on the right hand side of the car. Seems it was an Australian car that had found its way to Pennsylvania. An unusual car in this neck of the woods.

I was sorry to read that news.
My wife had a Dart in the 70s. I bought a shop manual for it which included the "special" Oz models, on to the slant six block were grafted a tri carb head AND an OHC head... never to be sold in the US. I would have been happy to drive one of those. In the US when you paid extra you got a heavy 271 V8.

Sorry to hear that, I had heard that this was coming down the pike. We have also lost many US manufacturing jobs since NAFTA, GATT, and Permanent Normal Trade Relations with China, all signed by Bill Clinton. Our US astronauts are sub contracted out to Russia for launch at $81 Million a round trip, thanks to Obama.

My mom's dad drove Holdens for years through the 1950's to 1980's, always liked them.

I'm actually surprised, with the way the world works today, that this didn't happen years ago...hard to justify keeping maufacturing going for such a small market.

Hey, you "Blokes" in Oz.

I love your TV show "Doctor Blake Mysteries ". I don't miss an episode.
Love his original car, a 1934 Standard. I keep telling my wife that I would love to have that car. They now switched to using a 1956 Holden. (Blah) To those of us not familiar with the show, it is set in the years 1958-1959 and the cars, busses, police vehicles, etc. are just as I remember when I lived and worked on the British Crown Colony of Cyprus. (I had a Triumph TR3A back then). (My favorite British car of the era was the Humber Super Snipe.)

I've mentioned the show to my cousin in Brisbane, but he never watches it. (Well, what do you expect from a #%£^*&@ Queenslander? ) 😳😏😏😜

Thank you Australia and New Zealand for being our ally through good times and bad times. My hope is that our countries will see a better tomorrow.We appreciate your friendship and the common bond of countries that grew out of wilderness.
smile.gif

Back in 1990, I drove a big Holden Falcon from Kakadu National Park, down the Stuart Highway to Alice Springs. Took about three days. I remember the car kicking up huge clouds of red dust on dirt track roads and driving through wide, deep fords (scared witless that the car would stop halfway across and we would be eaten by crocs!). Haven't had so much motoring fun ever since!

On a serious note, even though there's a significant short-term hit, now might be a good time to get out of the conventional car manufacturing business. They're not there quite yet but the Chinese are definitely coming and whilst their cars won't be everyone's cup of tea, they will be very cheap and good enough. The UK government has said sales of petrol & diesel cars will be banned from 2040 (strange given that for our current Conservative administration, long-term planning equates to 'what's for lunch?'). This together with our idiotic Brexit, will probably kill off car manufacturing here too sometime in the next five to ten years.

Originally Posted By: ATex7239

...There are people I personally know, who work in automotive manufacturing, who think assembly workers should have the same wage as tradesmen (plumbers, electricians, carpenters, etc.) Which is utter nonsense when you compare the job related tasks, training, and certifications require to do each respective job.

When low-skilled assembly workers unionize and/or demand higher wages, it sounds great in theory. But, they are unknowningly contributing to their own future layoff. It would be great if an assembly line worker straight out of high school with a little on-the-job training could make the same money as skilled tradesmen with yrs of experience and certifications.

But unfortunately, and as the comments about gov't funding for Holden likely indicate, ecoonmics do not work that way for long... or at least not without the tax payer propping it up.

thumbsup2.gif

Unfortunately, when government officials collude with Unions for subsidies, one sees that that business model usually doesn't last for very long.

Governments and Unions are both financial blood suckers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back