Thank you Pennzoil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally found an oil that my 02 Civic really responds to. PZ 5w20 sm. Previous fill was m1 5w30 sl. The difference is noticible. The car feels like its rev happy! Can't give you percentage improvement,but by the butt dyno, its noticible. This oil rocks. I read the post from Terry Dyson, where he calls it a sleeper oil. I think I'll second that. Thanks Pennzoil!
fruit.gif

Good to hear that the oil is working out for you. Pull a uoa of this stuff after a few thousand miles to demonstrate to the doubters that this oil can stand the heat and protect your motor.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Eddie:
Hoping you run a UOA at 5,000 miles to test its' worthyness. Anything less is usless to us daily drivers.

A UOA on someone's else engine isn't guaranteed to produce the same UOA in your engine even if it is the same oil. Climate, driving conditions, driver, different engines contribute to the UOA.

I have an '03 Civic VTEC and changed to M1 5W-30 (SL) at the first oil change at 3900 miles. I noticed that the engine did not rev as freely with this M1. This also occurred in my other 2 cars that I switched to M1 5W-30 also. When I reported this on BITOG, most people on this site told me I was nuts...

In January I changed the oil in all 3 cars to M1 5W-30 (SM). This is NOT the "Extended Performance" version. I immediately noticed that all 3 cars, esp the Civic, revved much more freely, just like before. I reported this and 7 of 8 BITOG members told me I was crazy...

I'm glad that Pennzoil has helped you - I think that it is a very good oil! However, based on my obervation you might try the new SM-rated M1 5W-30 sometime. I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Best Wishes as you motor along!

dustyjoe..I have the same question as Buster..regular 5w20 Penz or Platinum synthethetic 5w20 oil?

Has anyone seen the Platinum synth? Wallyworld doesn't have it, nor does anyone else around.

Snagged a 5qt jug of 5w-20 PZ SM in the clearance rack for $5.00
smile.gif

I agree with Terry, this oil is a sleeper and consistently shows good UOAs.

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:
Has anyone seen the Platinum synth? Wallyworld doesn't have it, nor does anyone else around.

Snagged a 5qt jug of 5w-20 PZ SM in the clearance rack for $5.00
smile.gif

I agree with Terry, this oil is a sleeper and consistently shows good UOAs.

Actually the Wally world in Newton NJ has the Penzoil Platinum quarts in stock, suprisingly. I don't know the viscosities they stock though
dunno.gif

offtopic.gif
A new Target Super Store opened up near me and they sell various Penzoil oils and their own Car and Driver brand but no oil filters, go figure
confused.gif

Whimsey

quote:

Actually the Wally world in Newton NJ has the Penzoil Platinum quarts in stock, suprisingly. I don't know the viscosities they stock though

Wally World? Never heard of it. Whimsey, where is Newton NJ? I'm in south Jersey 15 mins outside of Philly.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:

quote:

Wally World? Never heard of it. Whimsey, where is Newton NJ? I'm in south Jersey 15 mins outside of Philly.

Im not whimsey, but I live near newton. Newton is north west new jersey. Im in Stanhope NJ, which is about 30 miles from the Deleware Water Gap. That should give you an idea of where in the state newton is.
Joe

quote:

dustyjoe..I have the same question as Buster..regular 5w20 Penz or Platinum synthethetic 5w20 oil?

The plain ol' yellow bottle. 1.90 at wal-mart. My honda was broken in for 10k miles on the old pz 5w20 sl oil and it ran well but had a minor consumption issue (had to add a little at 3500 miles) so I moved on to other oils, but after terry's comment, if figured i'd give it another try....glad I did. If the consumption issues are gone it might be a keeper.

To the guy with the revvy m1, I haven't tried the sm m1. If I do it will be in the 5w20 flavor. Maybe you should do the same, the lighter oil, might give you even more throttle response. And I don't think you are crazy, I noticed the "sluggishness" with m1 many moons ago. It does protect well though...I'll give it that.

Pennzoil has a coupon out that will rebate to you a $15.00US mastercard (cash card?) if you buy 6 qts of the Platinum.

Pep Boys in my area advertised the oil at $3.99US per quart. The catch is.....none of the Pep Boys had it in stock.
mad.gif

$24-15. = $9/6 = $1.50 per quart. The coupon is not limited to Pep Boys - appears you can buy it anywhere and send in the receipt.

There is no way you can tell the differnece between a light 5w30 and a 5w20 by driving it.

Need to have a cup of reality and realise all you are seing is mental horsepower.

quote:

Originally posted by BlazerLT:
There is no way you can tell the differnece between a light 5w30 and a 5w20 by driving it.

Need to have a cup of reality and realise all you are seing is mental horsepower.

"In God we trust
all others bring DATA"

Let's see the 1/4 mile time slips or 40-70 mph data....
grin.gif

I agree that in my typical driving I probably could not tell the difference between M1 5W-20 and M1 5W-30.

However, I am sure that there was a change between M1 5W-30 (SL) and the new GF-4 M1 5W-30 (SM) in terms of my engines revving more freely. In the Civic and Odyssey, it was an instant surprise the moment I had the oil changed with GF-4 (SM), and the difference was big. Same tanks of gas, same weather, same roads, same driver, etc. I had the oil changed on both cars at the same time at the same dealer. The M1 lot numbers on the old SL oil being drained were the same for both cars, and the lot numbers for the new M1 SM oil were the same for both cars!

I doubt that I could do 1/4 mile runs consistently enough to prove my point - I have never done it and I can't bring myself to run a car that hard. 40-70 acceleration would be more in my league...but I'm not planning on changing back to (SL) to prove my assertion!

quote:

Originally posted by BlazerLT:

I don't agree. What if the 5w-20 is a superior forumlation that reduces friction (as a result of the higher demands of the 20wt oils) compared to the 5w-30 oils? In my ride, I just switched from dino 5w-30 to M1 5w-20, noticeable differences in performance. MPG is up, too!
smile.gif

cheers.gif

quote:

Need to have a cup of reality and realise all you are seing is mental horsepower

I also beg to differ on this point. I plan on trying the pz 5w20 in the wife's expedition next oci. If it performs as well there, I'd be willing to bet that I'll see the "difference" quite clearly at the pump. My estimate would be one to three bucks saved per tank (per week). If its three that's about 150 bucks a year I keep in my pocket, so the oil changes would be for free.

r.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back