TGMO/MAZDA OW-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know the difference in the base stocks of these 2 oils? I would assume they are the same. Right? Are they both using the New Star branch Polymers to get the VI so high?

Thanks

Originally Posted By: asharris7
Anyone know the difference in the base stocks of these 2 oils? I would assume they are the same. Right? Are they both using the New Star branch Polymers to get the VI so high?

Thanks

They would HAVE TO BE using those asteric polymers in order to be at those VI levels, since it just cannot be done with current base stocks and the regular, old school polymers.

I only WISH that all of my fave boutique oils would start using these as well.
Anyone for a 235 VI, very high anti-wear/anti-friction content add pack, group 4 & 5 base stock 0W-30??
(I'd even accept/live with the greater volatility/NOAK percentages to have this!
wink.gif
)

Ok thanks. I like both the TGMO and Mazda oils. With the amount of boron and moly, I tend to think the Mazda might slightly be better. Who knows..

^^^It also seems to have a higher VI (from using more of those cool asteric VIIs, or a different base than the TGMO???), but I don't know if it pays a penalty for that with a higher NOACK percentage or not.
21.gif

It's the one I would use between the two, since the TGMO is RIDICULOUSLY priced around here.
wink.gif

It is really interesting to see the use of Grp III oils so prevalent. When I lived in Germany in the early 80's while M1 was the rage in the US Shell's top oil was called Shell TMO and it was a Grp III. Now 30 years later Grp III is a staple.

Evonik also has some new PAMA chemistry that can easily reach these VI numbers. Not a star geometry like the Asteric product, but a similarly unconventional geometry PAMA. To my knowledge, neither of these products has been approved for ILSAC GF-5 oils. At last check, there was a significant amount of engine testing left for approval. Though, I'm not sure what else makes sense for a VI that high in engine oil?

Originally Posted By: jake88
Evonik also has some new PAMA chemistry that can easily reach these VI numbers. Not a star geometry like the Asteric product, but a similarly unconventional geometry PAMA. To my knowledge, neither of these products has been approved for ILSAC GF-5 oils. At last check, there was a significant amount of engine testing left for approval. Though, I'm not sure what else makes sense for a VI that high in engine oil?

THIS^^^ could be VERY interesting in the future, especially if the oil it is eventually used in does NOT exhibit the increased NOACK percentages (and consequently, the possible increased deposits of the current ultra high VI asteric using oils).
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back