TGMO 0w20 vs. 0w16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NH73

Ok, I need some clarification here. Now butwnkl says that it is OK to run 0w20 up to 10,000 miles in a 2018 Camry and earlier someone said it wasn't. Which one is it now?

If it isn't, someone needs to bring it up to Toyota about why the difference. If its purely for CAFE, you could run 0w20 10,000 miles.

I don’t think you’re trying very hard. I didn’t “say” anything. I quoted from the owner’s manual that’s sitting in our car. Given that the ‘18 Camry offers both a 4-cyl for which they spec 0W16, and a 6-cyl for which they spec 0W20, it would reasonable to conclude that they’re saying you must go back to 0W16 after 5k on the 4, or back to 0W20 on the 6 (they allow 5W20 if 0W20 is unavailable).

As I said in I think my very next post, I took the dealer’s use of 0W20 (when their parts dep’t has Toyota 0W16 in stock) to Toyota, and they declined to get involved with getting the dealer to put 0W16 in 5k from now.

Originally Posted By: Astro_Guy
You highlighted "That's why Toyota doesn't allow 10,000-mile OCI's on TGMO 0W-20 SN, despite its SN rating." and yet my Toyota dealer does perform 10K OCIs on the two Prius we own. Are you saying that the dealer is using something other than TGMO 0w20 or what?

No, we're talking about the 2018 Camry four-cylinder here. It specs 10,000 miles on 0W-16 and 5,000 miles on anything else.

For the Camry V6 or Prius, it's 10,000 miles on 0W-20 and 5,000 miles on anything else.

Toyota's logic in xW-20 was that since 0W-20 is synthetic, they can do a longer OCI with that. Since they don't have OEM certifications like GM dexos1, this obscure recommendation regarding 0W-20 arises, as they have no way of distinguishing between synthetic and conventional otherwise.

For the 0W-16 case, my guess is that it uses the GF-6B technology, which hasn't become official. The new Camry's release beat the official release of GF-6B by a year or so. So, they are probably saying that you can do 10,000 miles on a GF-6 synthetic versus 5,000 miles on a GF-5 synthetic. Again, the lack of an OEM certification is the culprit behind the confusion here.

Regarding GF-6B, the newly introduced 0W-16 would have to pass all its draft tests because it makes no sense from a financial point for ExxonMobil to reformulate and retest it, which costs millions of dollars, when the specification becomes official next year.

So your saying I not trying vary hard. Look what you said, "That's not what our 2018 Camry's maintenance manual says. It says, starting from the beginning, that you must change the oil and filter at the 5,000 mile interval if "0W16/0W20 was not used" at the last oil change. "

So this leaves an exemption for 0w16/0w20 for something else. Probably a 10,000 mile oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back