Texas bill that introduces $200 fee on EVs to fund roads just passed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have city stickers in your area? Where I grew up at in Illinois we had a stupid sticker that had to be put in the windshield yearly in addition to the plate stickers. Illinois is good at keeping a grip on your wallet for sure.
Where I live, no. I believe that is a Chicago thing for inspections. We don't have inspections in Central IL. Unless you are running a commercial vehicle that needs the 6 months inspection sticker.

Where I live, no. I believe that is a Chicago thing for inspections. We don't have inspections in Central IL. Unless you are running a commercial vehicle that needs the 6 months inspection sticker.
Oh I was in a small town. There wasn't any inspection, but any car in city limits had to have the sticker in the corner of the windshield. I think it was $75.

Oh I was in a small town. There wasn't any inspection, but any car in city limits had to have the sticker in the corner of the windshield. I think it was $75.
Weird, never heard of that in this area. Surprised we don't have it though, they keep raising the property taxes every year and the money still goes to nothing useful. Anything they can do to steal from the taxpayers.

$200 per year is likely less than the fuel tax for people driving typical distance in Texas per year, I wouldn't overthink it. Of course we all would get the short or long end of the stick once in a while, but if you bought the right vehicles you are usually ahead of the curve.

My take is if you drive little to no commute, takes no regular road trips, you don't need an EV, a cheap small used car is all you need, cost you $5k every 10 years. If you drive a lot of miles (30k a year), need long trip like courier does for delivery run, then hybrid is the way to go as time is money, you don't want an EV, at most you want a plug in hybrid. If you drive regular milage like 10k-20k a year for only commute, EV is the way to go if your area has the infrastructure like office charging for low cost and home charging with 240V 30A, then the savings in fuel tax is going to be more than 200 a year, just pay it.

Do you have city stickers in your area? Where I grew up at in Illinois we had a stupid sticker that had to be put in the windshield yearly in addition to the plate stickers. Illinois is good at keeping a grip on your wallet for sure.

In Virginia, most jurisdictions have done away with windshield stickers. Except for the one with the highest property taxes in the state, Manassas Park.

In Virginia, most jurisdictions have done away with windshield stickers. Except for the one with the highest property taxes in the state, Manassas Park.
I wonder if my old hometown did away with it. I haven't lived there in 20 years and I couldn't find anything about it on their DMV site now. I'd have to ask any of my family that still lives there.

$200 per year is likely less than the fuel tax for people driving typical distance in Texas per year, I wouldn't overthink it. Of course we all would get the short or long end of the stick once in a while, but if you bought the right vehicles you are usually ahead of the curve.

My take is if you drive little to no commute, takes no regular road trips, you don't need an EV, a cheap small used car is all you need, cost you $5k every 10 years. If you drive a lot of miles (30k a year), need long trip like courier does for delivery run, then hybrid is the way to go as time is money, you don't want an EV, at most you want a plug in hybrid. If you drive regular milage like 10k-20k a year for only commute, EV is the way to go if your area has the infrastructure like office charging for low cost and home charging with 240V 30A, then the savings in fuel tax is going to be more than 200 a year, just pay it.
$200 is tax on 1,000 gallons at the pump, 25,000 miles in a no better than average car. And it isn't about what anyone thinks someone else needs. It's about people getting what they want and if that's an EV then it should be fair and similar to someone with a gasoline vehicle. I drive 3k a year and pay ~$20 a year in fuel tax at the pump. If I decide for whatever reason I want an EV then I should pay $20 or so as well, not 10 times that. Conversely, if Fred drives 50-60k a year and pays $500 in gasoline tax at the pump he should pay that in an EV, not pay only $200. A flat fee is an idiotic idea and solution.

$200 is tax on 1,000 gallons at the pump, 25,000 miles in a no better than average car. And it isn't about what anyone thinks someone else needs. It's about people getting what they want and if that's an EV then it should be fair and similar to someone with a gasoline vehicle. I drive 3k a year and pay ~$20 a year in fuel tax at the pump. If I decide for whatever reason I want an EV then I should pay $20 or so as well, not 10 times that. Conversely, if Fred drives 50-60k a year and pays $500 in gasoline tax at the pump he should pay that in an EV, not pay only $200. A flat fee is an idiotic idea and solution.
What other choice do they have? It's not like they can install a meter in your garage. They can maybe figure out a way to tax public chargers, but not folks garages.

I used to work for "a closely involved state agency" up until the end of July 2022. $200 is on the low side of what was being discussed in board and subcommittee meetings.

My dad was grousing about it also, they live near me and their only car is a 2023 ID.4 so they will definitely need to pay. My Navigator gets 15mpg so I'll probably still pay more in gas tax than they will in their flat fee.

What other choice do they have? It's not like they can install a meter in your garage. They can maybe figure out a way to tax public chargers, but not folks garages.

I used to work for "a closely involved state agency" up until the end of July 2022. $200 is on the low side of what was being discussed in board and subcommittee meetings.

My dad was grousing about it also, they live near me and their only car is a 2023 ID.4 so they will definitely need to pay. My Navigator gets 15mpg so I'll probably still pay more in gas tax than they will in their flat fee.
The choice they have is the sensible choice, a reasonable and realistic fee per mile. Nothing to do with meters or gauges or anything else, just how many miles driven at a penny a mile, a reasonable rate since 20c gas tax at the pump in a 20mpg vehicle is a penny a mile. Calculated during annual state inspection, already in place and operating in Texas.

They couldn't choose a figure based on expected tax revenue by taking into account avg miles driven and average mpgs? Or was there a punitive slant to the legislation?

The vast majority of charging is done at home or at work. Public charging is too expensive along with the wait. It would be easy to track mileage; an EV could simply send in yearly mileage.
A fixed cost is easy, but hardly fair.

A few places, like East St Louis has them. My community doesn't. Not sure if they still do. Probably.

What do you think is a good solution?

Just wait until the Federal government mandates that all vehicles sold after a certain date have a telemetry system that transmits data to some agency that then bills the owners for the annual mileage. Oh, and also transmits your driving habits to your insurance company so they know how often you exceed the speed limit or do other things that Big Brother frowns upon. And your rates are adjusted accordingly.

Think it won't happen ? Then you aren't paying attention to the kind of people that are employed at high decision making levels in the government, and furthermore are implementing new regulations on their own that are never voted on by Congress.

Just wait until the Federal government mandates that all vehicles sold after a certain date have a telemetry system that transmits data to some agency that then bills the owners for the annual mileage. Oh, and also transmits your driving habits to your insurance company so they know how often you exceed the speed limit or do other things that Big Brother frowns upon. And your rates are adjusted accordingly.

Think it won't happen ? Then you aren't paying attention to the kind of people that are employed at high decision making levels in the government, and furthermore are implementing new regulations on their own that are never voted on by Congress.
More likely the insurance companies will mandate this information. It's all about the $$.

More likely the insurance companies will mandate this information. It's all about the $$.
There has been talk of insurance companies basing rates on actual miles driven (not what you tell them) for years.Now with how connected vehicles are-this could surely become a reality.

Makes sense-more miles driven = additional possible increase of accidents.

The only fair way to do it we could come up with in our nuclear group is a base weight penalty + the miles driven.

This way Ev's, Trucks and SUV's pay more per mile because of their weight than smaller lighter cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back