Gasoline isn't only rising cost for drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
More good news.

In terms of maintenance, will more people turn to diy, or just let it go?

From: http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5ju53DWzcLV_zY-xTUHDVaMyxPBgwD90SQRP00

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) — Does filling the gas tank leave your wallet empty and spirit sputtering? Get used to both because almost everything car-related is costing more.

From oil changes to parking lot fees, sticker shock will make this summer even stickier.

"Everything is more expensive," said Raj Amber, a partner at AAA Limousine in Alexandria, Va., bemoaning the recent oil change cost increase to $30, up from $25.

Amber's frustration is common among consumers facing $4 a gallon for gasoline, $45 a day for car rentals that cost $31 last year, and bigger bills from mechanics, tire shops and parking garages. Cost-fighting tactics are somewhat schizophrenic: vigilant tune ups to stave off new car purchases or bare-minimum crucial fixes combined with a hope-for-the-best mentality.

Fuel remains the single biggest expense for car owners over the lifetime of a vehicle at about 30 percent of costs, followed closely by depreciation and insurance. But the prices for maintenance and repairs, which combined account for less than 10 percent of an automobile's costs, are creeping up.

Travel agency AAA estimates that the average cost of owning and operating a car in 2008 will be $8,121, up from $7,823 last year.

"Purchases I'm making for our cars now are all driven by a preventative mentality," said Tony Farrell, a freelance writer in Richmond, Va., who has a 2001 minivan and a 20-year-old Honda Civic he had considered selling. "A year ago, I would have let it run ragged. Now I want that car in good working order because I want it to last."

Mirwais Niaz, manager of a Midas franchise in Arlington, Va., said many customers are opting for the most basic repairs, trying to buy time and save for more expensive work.

For example, a recent Midas customer whose car needed extensive brake work told Niaz: "I don't care about the squeaking, just do something so the car stops." Another customer, whose car needed a transmission fluid flush asked if it could last another three months without the $159 service since gas prices had sapped his funds.

Shell Oil subsidiary Jiffy Lube has seen its car count drop by roughly 2 percent in the last year as gas prices have surged and new vehicle technology gives drivers a better idea of when maintenance is needed, said Lisa Carlson, global director of marketing for Jiffy Lube International.

The dollar's decreased value, which makes imports more expensive, is an important factor driving up prices for oil, steel and other raw materials used in auto parts, said Harry Veryser, an economist at the University of Detroit Mercy and former chairman of an automotive parts supplier.

One spot of relief is auto insurance. Rates have remained steady or fallen in many states because insurers are losing less money on claims and face competitive and regulatory pressures to avoid rate increases, said Donald Light, senior analyst for Celent in San Francisco. If high gasoline prices prompt less driving, accidents — and insurance rates — should drop further, Light said.

In big cities, drivers are finding it more expensive to park. An annual survey by real estate services provider Collier's International found that daily parking rates rose in 2007 for the fourth straight year, a trend the company expects to continue in 2008.

But Benjamin Sann, founder of the Web site bestparking.com, which tracks rates in Boston, Manhattan, Philadelphia and Washington, said more companies have dropped prices recently as they struggle to attract and maintain business.

Indeed, some automobile-related businesses are trying to avoid passing their rising costs onto customers.

To retain his best limousine clients, Amber has not yet raised rental rates but has been forced to include a fuel surcharge of up to $5 on some trips. Customers, he said, "are not happy."

Midas has stopped advertising prices for promotions among its 1,700 shops in the U.S. and Canada after a deal on brakes last year was too low in busy metropolitan areas and too high in more rural locations, said Bob Troyer, director of corporate affairs at the company's Itasca, Ill., headquarters. Prices are set by individual owners based on their costs and local competition.

Despite motor oil costs rising 15 percent in recent months, Niaz has maintained his Midas location's prices to remain competitive and meet any local promotions. Visible from his front desk is an Exxon Mobil station where regular-grade gasoline was selling for nearly $4 a gallon.

"I'm complaining myself," said Niaz, who recently spent $62 to fill up his 4-cylinder Toyota Camry.

Quote:
... Cost-fighting tactics are somewhat schizophrenic: vigilant tune ups to stave off new car purchases or bare-minimum crucial fixes combined with a hope-for-the-best mentality...

To me this smatters of something done in third-world countries. I guess that's where we're headed.

Beware when AP is referencing anything related to Midas and Iffy Lube for an article. Or a car owner who suddenly changes his mind about keeping and maintaining his old Honda? Nice anecdote...

Last edited:
The opinions expressed in that article are making high gas prices and car ownership costs sound like the catalyst for another "great depression."

While the price of gas royally s#cks, there are MANY other reasons people go into debt, may I offer some common examples I see:
1) Buying alcohol, tobacco and lottery tickets.
2) Buying fancy cars (or more commonly, SUVs) one can't afford (and usually don't even need in the first place).
3) Shopping at organic food grocery stores instead of Costco or Sam's Club.
4) Excessive vacationing.
5) A laziness to invest the time and money into a college degree or grad degree to improve income and job title.
6) Buying a house that one's income isn't compatible with.
7) Having too many kids (someone try telling me kids are cheap to raise.)
8) Living with the belief that one is entitled to all the luxuries that people of higher socioeconomic classes enjoy.
9) Unwillingness to be be a penny pincher and actually invest time in searching for low prices or clipping coupons.
And my favorite one:
10) THINKING CREDIT CARDS ARE A FORM OF 'FREE MONEY' BECAUSE YOU CAN BUY SOMETHING WITHOUT HAVING THE FUNDS PHYSICALLY AVAILABLE AT THE MOMENT.

I'm having a hard time with that whole fuel is bigger than any other category, including depreciation.

I suppose that is becoming closer to reality with fuel approaching $4/gallon. Still, when one looks at the cost of a vehicle, if you keep the car until it's worth basically nothing, that still buys a lot of fuel.

Take your typical $25K sedan that gets 20 MPG and fuel at $4/gallon, $25K buys 6250 gallons of fuel. That's 125K miles. Since depreciation is not linear, meaning you pay more each year in the early years, I find it hard to believe that for brand new cars anyway, that this is the case.

Maybe when the car is 5+ years old does fuel outstrip depreciation. But it still takes a long time, even at $4/gallon for one to spend as much on fuel as you paid for the car.

Originally Posted By: Chuck1986
The opinions expressed in that article are making high gas prices and car ownership costs sound like the catalyst for another "great depression."

While the price of gas royally s#cks, there are MANY other reasons people go into debt, may I offer some common examples I see:
2) Buying fancy cars (or more commonly, SUVs) one can't afford (and usually don't even need in the first place).
5) A laziness to invest the time and money into a college degree or grad degree to improve income and job title.
8) Living with the belief that one is entitled to all the luxuries that people of higher socioeconomic classes enjoy.
9) Unwillingness to be be a penny pincher and actually invest time in searching for low prices or clipping coupons.
And my favorite one:
10) THINKING CREDIT CARDS ARE A FORM OF 'FREE MONEY' BECAUSE YOU CAN BUY SOMETHING WITHOUT HAVING THE FUNDS PHYSICALLY AVAILABLE AT THE MOMENT.

wow, I don't do any of that. I can buy a new corvette anytime I want, but I rather drive my sunfire

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cutehumor

And my favorite one:

wow, I don't do any of that. I can buy a new corvette anytime I want, but I rather drive my sunfire

From reading your posts you seem very financially conservative - I'm not at all surprised that you could afford a new Corvette, yet insist upon driving a car that may not be worth even four figures. If more people would adopt your mind set, far less people would be in debt. I hope I stick with my Eclipse as long you've stuck with your Sunfire. I'd also like to mention that I've instituted a lifelong "new car" boycott since they're such terrible investments given the cost and rate of depreciation.

11) eating out
12) living somewhere with nice weather all the time.
13) medical bills

And my favorite one:
Several people that I know are struggling financially or now going through bankrupcy now "well educated no brains though" for the exact reasons that your list mentions. I call it living beyond your means.

Fuel is still relatively cheap in the overall automotive equation.

For me the I have found the cost of food the largest impact in my life of fuel prices. The other major impact is heating my home currently with oil.(500gallons/year with price now at $4+/gallon.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
11) eating out
12) living somewhere with nice weather all the time.
13) medical bills

The eating out is definitely worth mentioning - although #8 kinda covers that. Here's a story: When I'm back in AZ for college I NEVER go out to eat, but earlier this month when I came home I went out with my parents at a typical family restaurant and when I saw the tab I couldn't believe it! For three people to eat (no dessert, no alcohol), it cost more than a week's worth of what I'd spend on groceries! With this in mind, I believe that people who dine out have no right to complain about the escalating cost of groceries. (Just like how those driving SUVs are not entitled to complaining about gas prices.)

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Fuel is still relatively cheap in the overall automotive equation.

For me the I have found the cost of food the largest impact in my life of fuel prices. The other major impact is heating my home currently with oil.(500gallons/year with price now at $4+/gallon.

While the rising cost of food is certainly astronomical, people can still easily deal with it if they adjust their diets accordingly. I'll spend as much as two hours at Costco or Walmart trying to decide what to buy so I can live off $50 of groceries a week and I still eat like a horse! Furthermore, if someone is overweight (as most Americans are), they're not entitled to complain about grocery costs.

Heating in New England is a very serious cost of living issue. I live in 3,000 square foot house when I'm home for winter break and my step dad would have a heart attack if I ever turned the thermostat above 68 degrees. We are REALLY frugal about the heating bill, yet it still is a significant living expense.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
11) eating out

The eating out is definitely worth mentioning - although #8 kinda covers that. Here's a story: When I'm back in AZ for college I NEVER go out to eat, but earlier this month when I came home I went out with my parents at a typical family restaurant and when I saw the tab I couldn't believe it! For three people to eat (no dessert, no alcohol), it cost more than a week's worth of what I'd spend on groceries! With this in mind, I believe that people who dine out have no right to complain about the escalating cost of groceries.

The Powers That Be keep telling us there are more restaurants open in New Orleans now than there were before Hurricane Katrina. That may be, but decently-priced restaurants are a vanishing species. The level of service is awful too. I've lost interest in going out to eat.

Though when I do, the portions are so big I take enough home for one more small meal (which I've done for years), so I get two dinners out of it, thus bringing the cost per meal down.

Quote:
people who dine out have no right to complain about the escalating cost of groceries

WOW - I don't understand the logic, but okay.

Quote:
if someone is overweight (as most Americans are), they're not entitled to complain about grocery costs.

WOW, WOW - and what about fat people who eat out?

Quote:
I live in 3,000 square foot house

Given the above logic, I guess you can't complain about heating costs?

As for eating out, my wife and I cook most of our meals and it is cheaper for us than dinning out. However, I used to date a woman who would order a $.99 burger OR a side salad and often take some home for her dog. She typically ate out 2 meals a day like this and claimed it was much cheaper than cooking at home.

Quote:
If more people would adopt your mind set, far less people would be in debt.

...and far fewer people would be employed. All the remedies/follies that you cited are only viable if a fringe do or don't practice them. If everyone was a tightwad, most of our auto sector would be long ago collapsed ..the sales infrastructure that sells them ..the parts industry that lives off of them ..the service industry ..etc..etc. Spread that to every sector and to the depth of forever and it doesn't seem to work as well. All those things are great if you're capitalizing on a dysfunctional situation and avoiding its pitfalls. Everybody can't just educate themselves out of poverty or lower income status. That is, if we were all Einsteins ..most of them would be poor Einsteins.

Now I'd rather have a bunch of poor(er) Einsteins as opposed to our current herd ..but
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back