Ohio Gas Tax Increase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Jimzz
Originally Posted by TurboLuver
I would like to see a current line item budget. I want to know exactly how much is being taken in from gas taxes, vehicle registration fee's etc..
and where/how it is being spent.

I found a 2007 document from the Ohio Department of Public Safety that shows the total vehicle registration revenue ($464,035,986.74) add to that the ($1,848,000,000) in current gas tax revenue (this number didn't come from
an official government source, came from Dayton Daily News article) and that comes to over $2.3 billion in revenue per year.

Don't complain to much as other states look at Ohio for its much better roads.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news...re-so-much-better-than-roads-in-Michigan

"Why are the roads in Ohio so much better than the roads in Michigan?
The secret to success in Ohio comes down to money, and when you see the numbers, you might realize why Michigan is far behind other nearby states."

Bad Link, I'm not against the tax, I just want to know where the money is going. If the lion's share is going for payrolls, pension plans and prodigious health care plans etc.. I think a discussion is in order.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
people have demonstrated an inability to drive on slick roads, and road salt destroys roads. You got to pay somewhere.

Rod

Maybe the driving tests need to include a slick/snowy/icy roads test scored on a points system, and require 80% or more to get or renew your license. Just because you can identify road signs doesn't mean you're qualified to drive on them.

Over 30,000 deaths yearly in the U.S.. Two years data = more casualties than the whole Vietnam war.

You would think it was time to improve driver skills.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
In public discussions about this proposal, this is the first time I've really heard "the people" emphasize that the increased funding only, only, only go towards road repairs and not shuffled to other areas. If that is the case, the general public was more or less accepting of this tax increase.

What "public discussions"? You mean when the "public" was informed that the gas tax was going up without being shown any data as to why, just being told the ODOT fund was depleted?
There were no discussions, simply a mandate and by there being no organized protest you conclude the public was "more or less accepting of this tax increase"?

Again I'm not, on it's face, against the increase, I simply want to know how much is being taken in and how it is being spent.

Bad Link, I'm not against the tax, I just want to know where the money is going. If the lion's share is going for payrolls, pension plans and prodigious health care plans etc.. I think a discussion is in order.

What discussion would you like to have? You're going to somehow change the minimum wage or change health care costs which have been increasing much faster than inflation over the last 20 years?

Originally Posted by Wolf359

What discussion would you like to have? You're going to somehow change the minimum wage or change health care costs which have been increasing much faster than inflation over the last 20 years?

The discussion I would like to have is how much revenue is being taken in and exactly where is it being spent, pretty simple. The speculative part of my statement could then be discussed. If my speculation has any basis
I would then want to discuss the business model, because if Administrative expenses are consuming the largest portion of the pie then what's the point.

Originally Posted by cven
LOL,,,This will end up just like the lotto $...Never to be seen again,

That was one example I was thinking of too. The lottery is supposed to be add'l funding for public schools in Ohio.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by cven
LOL,,,This will end up just like the lotto $...Never to be seen again,

That was one example I was thinking of too. The lottery is supposed to be add'l funding for public schools in Ohio.

Yep just like it was supposed to do in WA state as well until it was discovered it wasn't.

The discussion I would like to have is how much revenue is being taken in and exactly where is it being spent, pretty simple. The speculative part of my statement could then be discussed. If my speculation has any basis
I would then want to discuss the business model, because if Administrative expenses are consuming the largest portion of the pie then what's the point.

Most places just bid out jobs as contracts. So what companies spend on their overhead is built into the bid they submit.

Originally Posted by A_Harman

Pennsylvania is one of my LEAST favorites states to run into. Its fuel cost is higher than Canada's, and that's saying a lot. I do PA runs, but only if I can get in and out without buying fuel. And if I do need to buy fuel, I only buy enough to make it out of the state. And guess what; their roads are as bad as any other states where winters are cold. They must be spending the money elsewhere. My strategy is to fill up in Ohio before entering Pennsylvania, and now Ohio's higher gas tax messes that up. They even tax diesel higher just to twist the knife a little more. (Yeah, I know, diesel vehicles are generally big rigs, and they do more road damage than gasoline vehicles, but the added cost is passed on to consumers in the form of higher transport cost.)

And don't get me started about running the Turnpike...

I believe we are still lower than PA. Just can't believe they dropped the front license plate!

There are a lot of good points made in this thread by my fellow Ohio BITOGERs.

I love the potential loss of the front license plate, though none of us should celebrate, yet. That legislation does not go into effect until July 2020 in order to give various bodies (mostly law enforcement) the opportunity to vigorously oppose that move.

After all, what will they use as an aiming point while targeting vehicles with their laser radar?

And it's a pathetic argument on their part to say the front license plate is needed "to solve crimes."

I am not aware of a higher level of unsolved crimes in the states or Commonwealths of Michigan, Indiana, Kentucky, and Pennsylvania, all of whom appropriately find no need for a front license plate.

What you will find is that road tax VRS road funding aren't coorellated
My state proves that,

So...
If the state has a bumper year of road tax it has zero effect on road repairs

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Originally Posted by Reddy45
Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by Reddy45
The tax on the EVs makes sense because Teslas use the same roads as every other car and induce wear and tear in the same manner.
Except public policy should encourage saving gas by rewarding those buying electric cars, not taxing them more. The electricity isn't free or without taxes and fees.
Owning fuel efficient vehicles and funding road repairs are completely different things, and has been pointed out in this thread, run opposite to each other. (a more fuel efficient vehicle consumes less fuel during its life, and when roads are fixed by gasoline taxes, then less taxes are paid)
An electric car owner pays taxes to the electrical utility grid that gasoline cars don't. Therefore, gasoline cars should have a tax to the electric grid instead of freeloading like they do, avoiding electrical taxes with those new-fangled gasoline engines.

I pray you're being facetious.

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
Ohio is also raising registrations on start stop, hybrids
Plug ins by $100/$200 a year respectively

I'm not sure anyone with a hybrid or EV will complain too much. They put the same wear and tear on the roads that I do and are obligated to help fund roads just like me.

Now, charging owners of vehicles that have start/stop technology ? Can't agree with that. First off, at least the ones I looked hardly get any better MPG. Second, how do they determine if a car has it ? We have a '14 Fusion that doesn't have it but it's available. Will they simply ask ? Doubt it....

Originally Posted by dkryan
After all, what will they use as an aiming point while targeting vehicles with their laser radar?
I am curious what they aim at in other states w/o front plates. Sure, there's bound to be a fairly vertical surface that will work but some cars it will be pretty tricky.

Originally Posted by dkryan
And it's a pathetic argument on their part to say the front license plate is needed "to solve crimes."

I am not aware of a higher level of unsolved crimes in the states or Commonwealths of Michigan, Indiana, Kentucky, and Pennsylvania, all of whom appropriately find no need for a front license plate.
They can use that argument but facts can and should throw it out the window. Maybe criminals in Ohio are more likely to flee a scene of their crime by going in reverse, allowing law enforcement to read their front plate ???

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
Ohio is also raising registrations on start stop, hybrids
Plug ins by $100/$200 a year respectively

which i stated in the original post.

btw, it looks like i'll have to pay that new$100/yr tax when i renew my registration in aug.

[cost of new tax ($) / gas tax increase($)= number of gallons new tax equates to]
100/.105=952.3
200/.105=1904.7

if anyone is curious, right now my(non-plug in) hybrid is avg a massive 36mpg. and i drive about 8k mi a year on avg.

I don't argue the point on electric cars needing to pay SOMETHING towards road repairs to offset the lost gas tax revenue, i just want to figure out where they came up with these specific figures.
For ME, specifically, to pay that much in the new gas tax, I would have to drive 34,272mi/yr
i'd much rather go with a use tax, where we had to report how many miles we drive each year, and pay so many cents per mile. (or implement annual safety inspections, and do the mileage reporting at such times) but I've lived around here long enough to know that that is a pipe dream.

Originally Posted by thooks
Alabama just passed a pretty similar tax increase.

Seems like the new trend in raising taxes.

Alabama's tax mainly affects hybrids and the 900 plug ins in the state, the supply side gas tax is a little decimal point pertaining to tax efficiency.

What I find silly is the let's tax that one single person taxes that pass lately

Implementation of a law usually costs a minimum of $200,000, and when such a small number of people are affected the state looses money on the deal just to tax them.

In Ohio (I have a link to the exact number of plug ins somewhere) it's still under 10,000 plug ins on the road out of over 9 million registrations for road going vehicles , not even enough to worry about,
Hybrids is under 35,000 cars, which again isn't worth worrying over since they already pay tax.

Very poorly thought out law, a little Honda VX pays about $28 a year gas tax, why should the very few hybrids or plug ins on the road pay more than that?

Also after this type of tax passed in Wisconsin here is the sales graph, see if you can guess when the tax was announced versus when it implemented

611F0E4B-2762-4523-B4B7-FA211861D2AE.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back