Ohio Gas Tax Increase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by earlyre
Originally Posted by Rmay635703
Ohio is also raising registrations on start stop, hybrids
Plug ins by $100/$200 a year respectively

which i stated in the original post.

btw, it looks like i'll have to pay that new$100/yr tax when i renew my registration in aug.

[cost of new tax ($) / gas tax increase($)= number of gallons new tax equates to]
100/.105=952.3
200/.105=1904.7

if anyone is curious, right now my(non-plug in) hybrid is avg a massive 36mpg. and i drive about 8k mi a year on avg.

I don't argue the point on electric cars needing to pay SOMETHING towards road repairs to offset the lost gas tax revenue, i just want to figure out where they came up with these specific figures.
For ME, specifically, to pay that much in the new gas tax, I would have to drive 34,272mi/yr
i'd much rather go with a use tax, where we had to report how many miles we drive each year, and pay so many cents per mile. (or implement annual safety inspections, and do the mileage reporting at such times) but I've lived around here long enough to know that that is a pipe dream.

I think your math is a little off. You should divide by the total gas tax, not the increase. It's probably based on a standard assumption that people drive about 15k miles a year and maybe the average car gets 20mpg. By having a higher mpg value than the average car, you're not paying enough in gas taxes to cover the roads. Another way to look at it would be if they eliminated the gas tax and every registered car paid a flat rate. Then hybrids and electric cars would be paying a lot more than they're paying now and that would wipe that smug look off their faces and maybe they'd actually use the pedal for a change.

Originally Posted by Wolf359

Then hybrids and electric cars would be paying a lot more than they're paying now and that would wipe that smug look off their faces and maybe they'd actually use the pedal for a change.

And your response answers what the tax is about and it has nothing to do with road funding.

So Yep you could wipe the smug off all 2 of their faces and no one will buy them after so the problem is solved right?

After that you can tax motorcycles mopeds for not paying their fair share, increase boat taxes, beatup bicyclists since they don't pay their fair share, then break legs on pedestrians since they don't pay their fair, then gotta find more ways to tax dogs since they don't pay their fair share.

The only reason hybrids sell is to save money, charge more and NONE sell at all, Wisconsin is the best example of that.

Wisconsin has had the largest sales decreases going on 3 years.

Do we really want to use the fuel as quickly as possible?

How will you feel if everyone follows your advice is gas boosts to $10/gal?

Our low gas prices are in no small part because we use less fuel per capita, why try to change this?

There are a lot of cheap used semis, maybe you should buy one to drive to work so you pay your fair share?

Indiana added 25 cents/gallon a couple of years ago and no one complained despite the governor and legislative body running on a platform of tax cuts for the past 15+ years without any tax cuts for the middle and low class residents.

So don't expect any fallout from this.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Indiana added 25 cents/gallon a couple of years ag

So don't expect any fallout from this.

Fallout doesn't come from per gallon tax increases, it only comes from special registration hikes.

Oklahoma had its special registration hike brought into court and thrown out.

Georgia had so much public opposition to the registration hikes on economy cars that it was repealed.

Scott Walkers registration hikes got him kicked out of office.

Folks are fine taxing plug ins even rediculous amounts but get p'd off of when specific cars that burn gas get taxed special registration fees that only apply to them.

And uneven registration taxes are very good at making folks stop buying a particular vehicle

Last edited:
Michigan is thinking of adding 45 cents tax a gallon to fund roads. This is what happens when things need to be maintained and you kick the can diwn the road for decades.

Originally Posted by Jimzz
Originally Posted by TurboLuver
I would like to see a current line item budget. I want to know exactly how much is being taken in from gas taxes, vehicle registration fee's etc..
and where/how it is being spent.

I found a 2007 document from the Ohio Department of Public Safety that shows the total vehicle registration revenue ($464,035,986.74) add to that the ($1,848,000,000) in current gas tax revenue (this number didn't come from
an official government source, came from Dayton Daily News article) and that comes to over $2.3 billion in revenue per year.

Don't complain to much as other states look at Ohio for its much better roads.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news...re-so-much-better-than-roads-in-Michigan

"Why are the roads in Ohio so much better than the roads in Michigan?
The secret to success in Ohio comes down to money, and when you see the numbers, you might realize why Michigan is far behind other nearby states."

I grew up in Ohio and used to complain about the roads. Until I moved to Michigan.

Originally Posted by ZZman
Michigan is thinking of adding 45 cents tax a gallon to fund roads. This is what happens when things need to be maintained and you kick the can diwn the road for decades.

A lot of roads here need a lot of work, but 45 cents per gallon is pretty hard to stomach.
I'd like solemn promises from the politicians that the money will not be diverted elsewhere.

Ten years ago, Ohio enjoyed a soft, warm and gentle shower of federal stimulous money which allowed the very astute and capable ODOT folks to repave and rehab everything, giving us pristine interstates as well as mostly very good two lanes.
Ten years later, all of these roads need mills and overlays and ODOT lacks the funds to do the job.
Hence, an increase in the state gas tax.
The governor asked for more than he knew he'd be able to get and probably got what he thought ODOT actually needed.
Portions of the interstates now are really awful and this will allow them to be repaired.
Those who say that the money will go to the homeless, the poor or otherwise be diverted have no idea what they're talking about.
Those who say that the funds will simply disappear are terminally clueless.
I don't like paying more, but I also don't like having to drive regularly on some truly bad interstate highway miles.
Should Ohio's roads not rapidly improve in the next couple of years, the governor is up for re-election in 2022.

Originally Posted by A_Harman
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
people have demonstrated an inability to drive on slick roads, and road salt destroys roads. You got to pay somewhere.

Rod

Are you sure it's the salt that destroys the roads? I thought it was the freeze-thaw cycle of water, and snowplows.
I can see salt corroding steel bridge components and maybe rebar in concrete roads (but only if it can leach through 4 inches of concrete).

Our driveways may be 4" concrete. But I thought our roads were 6" concrete.
Yes, salt eats concrete. First small pitting that turn bigger quickly. Then it officially becomes a pot hole.

Leaving LAX reminded me more of Detroit in Winter than SoCal. You are definitely not getting your money's worth from your motor fuel taxes paid.

Originally Posted by ediamiam
Looks like they took a page out of California play book. More gas taxes for infrastructure. California played games for years with those gas taxes, moving them into general fund for leftist pet projects. They raised the taxes under the guise of necessity for road repair. Worse, the public voted to retain the increase. Ughh!

Originally Posted by fdcg27
Those who say that the money will go to the homeless, the poor or otherwise be diverted have no idea what they're talking about.

And you know this how? Please enlighten us dimwitted mouth breathers.

Ya.... all that lotto $ for the schools and they still can't fund them. Seems fishy....the folks who control the $ always do such a great job!...lol Talk about clueless......

Same thing happened here in Va for awhile... Lotto money was not going to the kiddies
lol.gif

In Wisconsin after a tax increase and the lottery windfalls the number of publicly backed bonds given to private interests to build unnecessary strip malls and motels skyrocketed, in this area the town had to condemn 2 such buildings that still owed the bond money back because they remained empty, didn't pay property tax and weren't maintained.

Many of us have seen the same payola play out many times in many areas and no one is willing to clear out those responsible

I have lived in Cleveland, Ohio all my life. Have driven all over the state many times, as well as neighboring states. Ohio is not nearly as bad as people make it out to be… I find our neighboring states to be worse, honestly.

As far as the tax goes, I don't mind it. I just bought a hybrid, too… But compared to my last car when I crunch the numbers, I get 40mpg now (camry hybrid SE) vs the 25mpg I used to get (Scion xB). I drive around 10,000 miles per year…

In my Camry (ref. $2.50 per gallon), I spend about $627 in fuel per year. My xB would be $1,003. So with the new tax, $727 per year in fuel/registration for the Camry.

In the end, I still save around $23 per month over my last car having a hybrid. It is what it is… Hopefully now with summer I can bump up my MPG as well to 44 or so and gain a bit more benefit.

Gas prices are up in Ohio 67 cents compared to a few months ago , which is the second highest after Michigan, and they haven't even installed the tax yet.

Originally Posted by D1dad
Gas prices are up in Ohio 67 cents compared to a few months ago , which is the second highest after Michigan, and they haven't even installed the tax yet.

Big oil is at it again. I guess after making reasonable profits for the last several years, they have decided it's time to get back to making record profits again....

Well, the dimwitted mouth breathers could start with learning a little bit about Ohio's budget process as well as the fact that no funds, not even those granted by the federal government or from agency revenue streams may be expended without statutory authority.
The proposed FYs 20-21 budget is easily found online. Have a look.
Basically, the state's budget divides into General Revenue Fund (GRF) revenues, which consist mostly of revenues from the state sales tax and the personal income tax and General Serviced Fund (GSF) revenues, which consists of many streams of revenue with dedicated flows, you know, things like the gas tax, vehicle licensing fees, hunting and fishing licenses and so on.
The state also borrows money for capital projects, but this represents only a small fraction of total expenditures.
So you see, funds can't simply flow to an unauthorized use without notice. There is a body known as the Controlling Board which authorizes all releases of capital funds and can approve certain other technical adjustments to the state's budget, but the hearings of this body are open to the public and its decisions are published online.
Nothing about the whole process that isn't perfectly transparent. Ohio also has a fairly robust open records law, in case you want to look deeply into the operations of any given agency down to the most granular level.
I hope that the above helps you understand that funds can't simply disappear. There is both accountability and full disclosure.
Now, whether or not you agree with the spending priorities the state adopts is another matter, but the process itself is pretty easy to understand.

Well, the dimwitted mouth breathers could start with learning a little bit about Ohio's budget process as well as the fact that no funds, not even those granted by the federal government or from agency revenue streams may be expended without statutory authority.
The proposed FYs 20-21 budget is easily found online. Have a look.
Basically, the state's budget divides into General Revenue Fund (GRF) revenues, which consist mostly of revenues from the state sales tax and the personal income tax and General Serviced Fund (GSF) revenues, which consists of many streams of revenue with dedicated flows, you know, things like the gas tax, vehicle licensing fees, hunting and fishing licenses and so on.
The state also borrows money for capital projects, but this represents only a small fraction of total expenditures.
So you see, funds can't simply flow to an unauthorized use without notice. There is a body known as the Controlling Board which authorizes all releases of capital funds and can approve certain other technical adjustments to the state's budget, but the hearings of this body are open to the public and its decisions are published online.
Nothing about the whole process that isn't perfectly transparent. Ohio also has a fairly robust open records law, in case you want to look deeply into the operations of any given agency down to the most granular level.
I hope that the above helps you understand that funds can't simply disappear. There is both accountability and full disclosure.
Now, whether or not you agree with the spending priorities the state adopts is another matter, but the process itself is pretty easy to understand.

First off, thank you for the info, it has provided a wealth of reading material. A preliminary scan has proved quite interesting.

Secondly, I never stated I thought the funds would disappear, or for that matter, that I was against the tax increase. I simply wanted to know how much revenue was taken in
and where it was spent.

Finally, I'm not an accountant but I'm sure we are all aware of, shall we say, creative accounting practices. With that said, the documents I found with a nudge in the right
direction provided by your post are, for the most part, what I was looking for.

If you want to get a good dose of gas taxes, move to WA !!
crazy2.gif
mad.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back