Test drove a Ford PowerBoost

I test drove a PowerBoost yesterday. The ICE never shut down on idle. I asked the salesman about that, and he told me, it isn’t because the A/C is running. Seemed not impressed with that. Do these truck hybrid designed to use the ICE more? Makes me believe now that it is not worth getting for the sake of better mpg. Liked the Toyota syenergy drive.

I've not been paying attention to this new "PowerBoost" naming. It's to differentiate between their "EcoBoost" gasoline turbo engine vs "Powerboost" being gasoline engine, twin turbo, w/electric hybrid drive train. Reminds me of the DVD/VHS combo units. 😆 I'm happy to see some evolution towards all electric vehicles. It would be interesting to know how the electric worked with the batteries. I can't even find MPG ratings for one of these. Anyone have that?

EDIT: Found a review that seems to explain more.
"Because of the extreme heat and A/C set to max cool, the vehicle’s gas motor ran a significant portion of that time."
https://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/tested-is-the-2024-f-150-powerboost-as-efficient-as-ford-says/

Last edited:
They will keep the ICE running if the electrical demand is high, batteries have low state of charge or heating demand. They have electric A/C and will shut down the ICE when determined.

FWIW, I had to lemon law a PowerBoost. Sat at the dealer for months waiting on module after module. Truck is a cool idea, but in the real world, with sub-par dealers (even the best dealers don't receive the appropriate manufacturer support), they are a headache. What also baffled me was the truck had a time where I was getting on the thruway and it had a flashing CEL with multiple cylinder misfires. There was no history codes for this event. I'd expect a CEL to have been set and stayed until cleared.

Dealer had no clue what that was.

CEO drives one that i service. the mobile recall service is always at the office or his house replacing things. stay far, far away.

Could also be that the battery was not fully charged.
I thought it ran long enough for that. I asked salesman about it and claimed the A/C was running. He also said that the vehicle was not taken out of transport mode. It may have something to do with that, because I couldn’t find the battery indicator.

Last edited:
What year? What often is wrong with it?
just endless modules and safety stuff. stack of recall’s for 4 fords. two are 22’ models, and the other two are 23’ models. buy chevrolet IMO or atleast stay with their 5.0 offerings.

image.jpg

just endless modules and safety stuff. stack of recall’s for 4 fords. two are 22’ models, and the other two are 23’ models. buy chevrolet IMO or atleast stay with their 5.0 offerings.

View attachment 224372
Do you not like turbo engines? Ford had issues with their 5.0 coyote and GM had issues with their lifters.

Do you not like turbo engines? Ford had issues with their 5.0 coyote and GM had issues with their lifters.
5.0 has been the best thing ford has done in a long time. i am simply just anti ford. if you are going to buy one we have far less issues with the 5.0’s. there is a reason there are only 7 fords out of over 100 total vehicles in the fleet. the rest are chevrolets.

Last edited:
5.0 has been the best thing ford has done in a long time. i am simply just anti ford. if you are going to buy one we have far less issues with the 5.0’s. there is a reason there are only 7 fords out of over 100 total vehicles in the fleet. the rest are chevrolets.
I had a 1993 Chevrolet S-10 and a 2003 Chevrolet Blazer. Both would seem to have problems here and there as they got older. That kind of sored me on Chevy. Everyone wanted to say how good those 4.3 v6s were, but some how Chevy didn’t get the rest of it right. Even on the 03 Blazer, I had to replace the intake manifold gasket. Now GM just refuses to make enough of their Express vans.

I had a 1993 Chevrolet S-10 and a 2003 Chevrolet Blazer. Both would seem to have problems here and there as they got older. That kind of sored me on Chevy. Everyone wanted to say how good those 4.3 v6s were, but some how Chevy didn’t get the rest of it right. Even on the 03 Blazer, I had to replace the intake manifold gasket. Now GM just refuses to make enough of their Express vans.
no one said GM products were perfect or free of flaws. just simply require less work compared to fords over time in our fleet. we’ve never had a stack of recall envelopes for our chevrolets. i like the ford 5.0 motor, its quiet smooth and makes very good power. i could even support the eco boost, just stay away from the power boost. the CEO is letting it go as soon as warranty goes out.

I have owned 3 Ford F150's. Two 5.0's and now a 3.5. They have all been solid trucks. I am killing the mpg with this 3.5 EcoBoost and the power and torque is incredible. I'd steer clear of the PowerBoost. It is a combo of the 3.5 EcoBoost and Electric Battery. It is having a lot of issues. Not quite ready for primetime. Stick with the 2.7, 3.5, or 5.0.

I have owned 3 Ford F150's. Two 5.0's and now a 3.5. They have all been solid trucks. I am killing the mpg with this 3.5 EcoBoost and the power and torque is incredible. I'd steer clear of the PowerBoost. It is a combo of the 3.5 EcoBoost and Electric Battery. It is having a lot of issues. Not quite ready for primetime. Stick with the 2.7, 3.5, or 5.0.
Don't you think they got the bugs worked out of 24?

Back