Tesla V4 Superchargers...

The charging network and capability keeps getting better. The V4 Superchargers are being unveiled in Europe this month.
Supposedly much faster (twice?) as the V2 250 kW chargers.

A Tesla owner spotted the electric car specs of the charger, revealing a rated voltage of 1,000V and a rated current of 615A.
That doesn’t mean you can magically access it.

What is the battery in your model 3? 300V?

So 615A @ 300V means 185kW. You need a higher voltage battery to achieve an actual faster charge. What is using 1000v batteries? The semi?

What is the long term affect of fast charging?

Degradation. No matter how you look at it, heat is generated as the square of current. Charge faster by forcing more current in, you automatically generate more heat. Also, to force more current into a given impedance, you need to drive higher voltage, which damages the electrolyte.

There are smart algorithms that notionally help limit overpotential and heat, but you can’t avoid physics.

You can cool your battery better though… and reduce its impedance.

What is the long term affect of fast charging?
As @JHZR2 points out, fast charging will wear out, perhaps even damage, the EV battery. Tesla Superchargers use an algorithm to throttle rate to help with heat. My understanding is, non-Tesla charging stations do not have this, but I cannot say for sure.

I have not seen actual data and it might be difficult to capture 240V charging vs fast charging data. How much is too much? That's above my pay grade.

And as pointed out, your vehicle would need to be able to take advantage of the higher power. I have to wonder what Tesla has in mind, going forward?

Importantly, Tesla recommends charging to 80% or 90% unless you are on a longer distance trip.

That is good thing. But unless it is France, there might be message: “sorry, our environmentally friendly coal plant cannot deliver that charge.”

Heat is the killer, though I'm sure it's still possible to charge too fast and cause damage even if its kept cool. What that would be I don't know.

That is good thing. But unless it is France, there might be message: “sorry, our environmentally friendly coal plant cannot deliver that charge.”
What?

As @JHZR2 points out, fast charging will wear out, perhaps even damage, the EV battery. Tesla Superchargers use an algorithm to throttle rate to help with heat. My understanding is, non-Tesla charging stations do not have this, but I cannot say for sure.

I have not seen actual data and it might be difficult to capture 240V charging vs fast charging data. How much is too much? That's above my pay grade.

And as pointed out, your vehicle would need to be able to take advantage of the higher power. I have to wonder what Tesla has in mind, going forward?

Importantly, Tesla recommends charging to 80% or 90% unless you are on a longer distance trip.
BMS is on the vehicle, this controls the rate of charge based on myriad factors.

When you travel whats critical is what you can put in the first 15 minutes.

Having a marginally higher voltage amperage even for a few minutes shaves off travel time and bring the EV ever closer to the ice travel time.

This higher voltage and amperage allows allow the same station to offer viable performance for vehicle that can consume more - hummer size stuff - existing and upcoming Ev trucks, it also bridges the 800 Volt cars better than the existing V3.

Porsche has already surpassed Tesla with their 1,000v three phase charger over Tesla's single phase charger. Yes more superchargers exist but Porsche is rapidly expanding their technology.

Porsche has already surpassed Tesla with their 1,000v three phase charger over Tesla's single phase charger. Yes more superchargers exist but Porsche is rapidly expanding their technology.

Theoretically all the 350KW chargers have surpassed tesla as well.

Theoretically 800V cars should work much better than 480V cars.

Sadly, the higher voltage chargers and cars show no improvement in travel times over 480 volt cars and in most cases are slower.

Back