Tesla Stock

Looks like a great time to buy! TSLA is down 33% YTD while the S&P is up almost 10% in the same period.
From a market cap standpoint, with all of its troubles, it is only worth more than the next 5 or 6 auto companies combined...

I've been through a lot of cash the past 6 months, or I would be a TSLA buyer.

Looks like a great time to buy! TSLA is down 33% YTD while the S&P is up almost 10% in the same period.
From a market cap standpoint, with all of its troubles, it is only worth more than the next 5 or 6 auto companies combined...

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you on this one Jeff.

Tesla has a mountain of risk right now. If Trump wins and gets enough control of the legislative branch you can kiss those $7500 subsidies goodbye. The Cyber truck has been a big miss. China and Europe are struggling at the moment, and BYD is emerging as a strong competitor in Europe, Asia, and elsewhere.

They also are experiencing mammoth issues with ramping up production and adhering to their launch dates. I don't think it's all gloom and doom. India will be a great market and Tesla has unofficially become the most sought after prestige brand in the automotive industry. But EVs have hit a temporary plateau in several markets, and unless interest rates take a huge dive, I don't see Tesla leading with growth until the Model 2 is launched and by then it may have serious competition with BYD.

Given your telling others to catch a falling knife, but aren't buying yourself - this isn't a pump and dump scheme is it? 🤷‍♂️

Just kidding.:LOL:

The stock is down 56% from two years ago ago, down 14% from one year ago, and down 33% this year.

For an investor, looking for long-term gains, this stock is garbage, and I would warn anybody who doesn’t have money to lose to stay away, many knowledgeable and unknowledgeable people lost a fortune in this company. It’s down over 200 points from its high.

This is a gamblers stock. One that has not been anywhere near projected sales gains and profits and limited to only one aspect of the automobile market electric vehicles.

I say gamblers stock because every 3 to six months there’s more bad news for this company.

Not nearly as big a drop today as many (including me) expected and still above the 52 week low.

Pretty steady all day. It appears for now the street built in the news. We'll see.

The fans list a bunch of reasons why it's off - some legit, the cons have been saying every quarter is some kind of disaster for the last ten years.

The total value leaderboard hasn't changed.

It will be interesting to see if EVs remain the fastest growing segment or if that slides.

If this trend continues and Tesla loses more money on "cybertrucks", Tesla may be forced to remove Musk as a CEO.

It may be a good thing for Musk as well. He can make political endorsements without worrying about sales.
Many early cybertruck holders were flippers, according to many articles. This is apparently somewhat true as every week someone is trying to flip theirs for profit. Only one person so far has managed a decent sized profit after a Porsche dealership offered $200k. The last few have sold for far less than expected. One owner was offered $76, 000 by Carvana.

The stock is down 56% from two years ago ago, down 14% from one year ago, and down 33% this year.

For an investor, looking for long-term gains, this stock is garbage, and I would warn anybody who doesn’t have money to lose to stay away, many knowledgeable and unknowledgeable people lost a fortune in this company. It’s down over 200 points from its high.

This is a gamblers stock. One that has not been anywhere near projected sales gains and profits and limited to only one aspect of the automobile market electric vehicles.

I say gamblers stock because every 3 to six months there’s more bad news for this company.
Alot of manufacturers are seeing (and expecting)sales growth this year Tesla and Musk are seeing a decline. Musk said that this year would be a slow down. Pair this with several articles showing that the Tesla fanbase is shrinking after Musks rants are turning off customers to the brand.

@alarmguy @macarose @SC Maintenance
What will the stock do? Time will tell. A roller coaster for sure... I'm bullish!

Oh yeah, my TSLA is still in the black, showing a nice paper gain. Ya can't win if ya ain't in the game.
I agree, using your own words, you can’t win if you’re not in the game.
I’m sure you know I acknowledge is nothing wrong with being bullish on a stock. Who knows?

OK, back to being in the game, believe it or not I care about people, average Joe public.
Investment advisors all across this country were advising people to buy Tesla stock at double the price and everything in between including to some people in here.
It just didn’t make sense for someone to be advising to buy a stock at the multiples it was selling for in the automobile industry, and the sad part is those average people took a bath, some of which could not afford to.

The warning signs were all over the place, market share started to fall, cutbacks in production started taking place, price cuts started taking place, sales growth cut in half from what its own CEO said they needed for the company to grow. Now that sales growth just hit a negative for the first time I think four years.
All this is great if the stock was selling at 10 times earnings, but even at the current valuation of 40 times earnings it’s way too much money.

We also have to acknowledge electric vehicle sales in the USA not necessarily the rest of the world seems to have hit a brick wall meaning all manufactures now have electric vehicles and it seems like we approached a point where there was almost too much production and cars sitting on lots for the first time.

The good news, Jeff is, I think at this point the only sure thing will be as accurate as flipping a coin.
By the way, just enjoying this discussion in a friendly manner and by no means, does this mean in another year or two this stock can be the best thing in sliced bread again then again so can many others 🙃

Last edited:
Investment advises all across this country or advising people to buy Tesla stock at double the price, including some people in here.
It just didn’t make sense for someone to be advising to buy a stock at the multiples. It was selling for in the automobile industry, and the sad part is those average people took a bath, some of which could not afford to.
Sad, but unfortunately that is on them.

Buying individual stocks is no joke. I do it, and I am not wealthy, but if I lost 100% of that money tomorrow it wouldn't change my daily life one bit.

If you need the money in the next decade (or ever) it shouldn't be in an individual stock.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you on this one Jeff.

Tesla has a mountain of risk right now. If Trump wins and gets enough control of the legislative branch you can kiss those $7500 subsidies goodbye. The Cyber truck has been a big miss. China and Europe are struggling at the moment, and BYD is emerging as a strong competitor in Europe, Asia, and elsewhere.

They also are experiencing mammoth issues with ramping up production and adhering to their launch dates. I don't think it's all gloom and doom. India will be a great market and Tesla has unofficially become the most sought after prestige brand in the automotive industry. But EVs have hit a temporary plateau in several markets, and unless interest rates take a huge dive, I don't see Tesla leading with growth until the Model 2 is launched and by then it may have serious competition with BYD.
India is a tough market to crack. Many brands that aren't already very established and British haven't faired well. I think Ford pulled the plug 2-3 years ago.

The only stock I have lost on in a decade is Rivian (I don’t buy many stocks and tend to be more conservative like csx, cboe, costco, Lowe’s, VMware so now I have Broadcom. Amazon has really trailed which is unexpected (who wants 98% when you can have more than that from Lowe’s or Costco.)

Not that I like to admit it, I simply bought some stocks buffet said he bought around 2008. Now they are large holdings for me. I mean Tahoe High Country holdings.

I’ve never hit it big in a short time other than a few hundred to a couple thousand etc. nothing to write home about. But 2008-2024, some are remarkable.

As far as Tesla, I recall in 2020 many analysts saying they won’t touch it as they sincerely couldn’t understand its meteoric rise at the time. I’d only put decent amounts into what I think I know. Not what others say. Again 3/4 money managers can’t beat the index. Why pay them to try—Jack Bogle

I keep thinking about that comment that we’re really hairless apes with advanced tools and exaggerated self worth…. 😆

Sad, but unfortunately that is on them.

Buying individual stocks is no joke. I do it, and I am not wealthy, but if I lost 100% of that money tomorrow it wouldn't change my daily life one bit.

If you need the money in the next decade (or ever) it shouldn't be in an individual stock.
I have two accounts…E Trade which is a play account. Then I have the buy and hold forever brokerage account at Vanguard. That came about because my wife worked there and I was required to move securities there. Have not bought nor sold a thing in 13 years.

I really don’t recommend individual
Stocks its takes time imho. And we don’t get the info the way the big dogs do. If we did, we wouldn’t be here taking about it.

Whereas S&P 500 just keep buying regularly. Trend has been up for a long time. Dollar cost avg it out…

I have two accounts…E Trade which is a play account. Then I have the buy and hold forever brokerage account at Vanguard. That came about because my wife worked there and I was required to move securities there. Have not bought nor sold a thing in 13 years.

I really don’t recommend individual
Stocks its takes time imho. And we don’t get the info the way the big dogs do. If we did, we wouldn’t be here taking about it.

Whereas S&P 500 just keep buying regularly. Trend has been up for a long time. Dollar cost avg it out…
I wanted to be a stock broker. Or an economist. I grew up in a small farming town. Bankers were the people that took peoples farms away. People like me weren't allowed to grow up to be bankers. I became an engineer. I don't do much engineering anymore, but that is where I started.

Anyway stocks are a hobby. Started buying them in very small amounts right out of college. I read lots, I listen lots. Now days you can podcast lots. I find the whole financial system very interesting - so for me its a hobby. But as I mentioned, its money I can loose.

My 401K is 100% in a S&P500 ETF.

After the election and start of recession, I’m very interested in the spending habits of upper middle class buying new Teslas.

No doubt people will be spending less when recession hits and job cuts are inevitable.

Tesla is a very good company but the perfect storm if forming on the horizon.

Last edited:
TSLA's problem is that it's already valued beyond a mere car company and a lot of that faith in the company was driven by feelings about pre-ketamine and social media addict stage Elon Musk. They have to deliver on very lofty promises to even justify the current valuation. Every quarter without something shiny to distract investors or at least strong growth will see the stock taking a hit.

I'm looking to buy back in. Not sure it's the right time yet. Now we need to make a judgement about the strength of China's economy to evaluate Tesla well, and that's not in my wheelhouse.

BTW gas prices are rising again.

Back