Tesla Stock

The Muskrat promised initially that the Model 2 wouldn't have a steering wheel as it would be "Fully Autonomous " by now. How many brain dead people live in this country? Can we legally rescind his business passport, and send him back to South Africa?
Elon Musk became a US citizen in 2002. Good thing people like you and others included in the "we" you mentioned don't have the power to kick people out of the country that have committed no crimes.

91 Octane gas is now up to $6.00 a gallon in my mountain town. And the Shell station which used to be $0.10 per gallon less than the Mobil station has now colluded with them and raised their prices to be the same across all three grades.

Recent events in Damascas Syria once again have people who would love to cause great economic harm to the US rattling their swords. And a seed has also been planted in the minds of terrorists just how easy it would be to hijack a big freighter and steer it into a major bridge. Or two. Or ten. Look at the impact of just that one incident already. Considering the tens of thousands of un-vetted military age males have crossed our borders in the last 4 years, there are plenty of people quite capable of some very serious attacks upon our infrastructure.

Events like these will make people who don't own EV's thinking what a great idea one would be. Considering of course that our electrical powerplants are still operating. But even if I am painting a worse case scenario, it wouldn't take much for gas to spike to $8 a gallon nationally and not just in places like California where about $2 of the cost per gallon is taxes. And for spot shortages to occur and people waiting in lines and with tempers flaring worse than when people at McDonalds don't get enough packets of their favorite dipping sauce.

We'll see what the waning demand for EV's looks like then and which automaker is capable of meeting that demand.

91 Octane gas is now up to $6.00 a gallon in my mountain town. And the Shell station which used to be $0.10 per gallon less than the Mobil station has now colluded with them and raised their prices to be the same across all three grades.

Elections have consequences. I paid $3.05 a gallon for Shell Regular, Tuesday evening 4-2-2024
If I remember correctly Premium was around $3.60's could have been closer to $3.80 for Premium but not sure.

Another supermarket gas station (Lowes Foods) its $3.67 for premium and 2 cents more for regular at $3.07 instead of $3.05 that I paid for Shell which granted is super cheap station for Shell all the time.

Last edited:

Recent events in Damascas Syria once again have people who would love to cause great economic harm to the US rattling their swords. And a seed has also been planted in the minds of terrorists just how easy it would be to hijack a big freighter and steer it into a major bridge. Or two. Or ten. Look at the impact of just that one incident already. Considering the tens of thousands of un-vetted military age males have crossed our borders in the last 4 years, there are plenty of people quite capable of some very serious attacks upon our infrastructure.

Events like these will make people who don't own EV's thinking what a great idea one would be. Considering of course that our electrical powerplants are still operating. But even if I am painting a worse case scenario, it wouldn't take much for gas to spike to $8 a gallon nationally and not just in places like California where about $2 of the cost per gallon is taxes. And for spot shortages to occur and people waiting in lines and with tempers flaring worse than when people at McDonalds don't get enough packets of their favorite dipping sauce.

We'll see what the waning demand for EV's looks like then and which automaker is capable of meeting that demand.
California gets there oil from off shore. East of the Rockies get there gas from here. Yes, there is a global price for oil, but its not going to $8 east of the Rockies.

So at best EV's make sense for this fearmongering reason on the West Coast.

Our gas has gone down quite a bit over the last week. Its below $3.

Elections have consequences. I paid $3.05 a gallon for Shell Regular, Tuesday evening 4-2-2024
If I remember correctly Premium was around $3.60's could have been closer to $3.80 for Premium but not sure.

Another supermarket gas station (Lowes Foods) its $3.67 for premium and 2 cents more for regular at $3.07 instead of $3.05 that I paid for Shell which granted is super cheap station for Shell all the time.
Bingo, elections have consequences. Regarding gas, at Costco on 3/30 it was $2.99 a gallon for regular. My local Sunoco was $3.17 yesterday. $6 a gallon in CA, no wonder EVs sell there. The people here in NY I associate with still want no part of them for a number of reasons, maybe $6/gallon gas would change some of their minds. As I said before: Choke someone long enough and they'll submit, or maybe they'll scoot out of CA. I can't help but think a decent % of CA EV owner's were choked into submission.

You are making alot of "we" talk, semi paranoid global generalizations which you are free to do. You happen to live in a state which is unfriendly to gas engines which is your choice but you also need to own that decision and give up blaming other factors.

What I have observed is the 3 presidential terms has done a pretty good job of shifting the US gas production to domestic production. What you think will happen, hasn't happened in the past 4 years because the US has protected itself pretty good from global instability. My bet is it wont happen.

I filled up at $2.84 for my v8 gas guzzler last night, it was a good moment.

Bingo, elections have consequences. Regarding gas, at Costco on 3/30 it was $2.99 a gallon for regular. My local Sunoco was $3.17 yesterday. $6 a gallon in CA, no wonder EVs sell there. The people here in NY I associate with still want no part of them for a number of reasons, maybe $6/gallon gas would change some of their minds. As I said before: Choke someone long enough and they'll submit, or maybe they'll scoot out of CA. I can't help but think a decent % of CA EV owner's were choked into submission.
Gas does not cost $6 per gallon in most of CA; only isolated spots. Beyond that, wages are higher here, so the cost is relative, right?
The elections thing is bogus (no politics talk). Gas is sold on the world market.

Having said that, the high cost of energy here does make EVs attractive. Ditto solar panels, which is why I installed them. We drive a lot.
Rag currently starts about $4.75 and goes up from there; Costco is generally 20 cents cheaper, often more than that.
A short time ago you could get rag for about $3.75.

Gas does not cost $6 per gallon in most of CA; only isolated spots. Beyond that, wages are higher here, so the cost is relative, right?
The elections thing is bogus; we agreed to not talk politics, right? Gas is sold on the world market.

Having said that, the high cost of gas here does make EVs attractive. Ditto solar panels, which I have. We drive a lot.
Rag currently starts about $4.75 and goes up from there; Costco is generally 20 cents cheaper, often more than that.
Even $4.50-$5.00 a gallon gas is high. One of your CA neighbors was talking $6/gallon on his mountain, I used that for my reply. It is clear CA has a lot more EVs than most of the US, maybe all of it. Elections bogus? lol OK that's your opinion, I can certainly elaborate but I won't take the bait. IMO my choke comment sums up a large portion of CA EV sales nicely. NYC and Long Island has high wages too, and a ton of very wealthy people, lower gas, and a lot less EV's, go figure.

Even $4.50-$5.00 a gallon gas is high. One of your CA neighbors was talking $6/gallon on his mountain, I used that for my reply. It is clear CA has a lot more EVs than most of the US, maybe all of it. Elections bogus? lol OK that's your opinion, I can certainly elaborate but I won't take the bait. IMO my choke comment sums up a large portion of CA EV sales nicely. NYC and Long Island has high wages too, and a ton of very wealthy people, lower gas, and a lot less EV's, go figure.
Yeah, Agree, it is something that @JeffKeryk isnt informed about.
The county that Jeff states as so wealthy in reality is only $11,000 more in median income than that of Nassau County NY.
and just like his county, that is median, some towns in Nassau county are the most wealthy in the nation. A public servant Nassau County Police Officer makes the median in about ten years, not counting perks and overtime.

"10. Nassau County
Median Household Income: $120,036
Nassau County ranks as the 10th wealthiest county in the US given its median household income of $120,036. The New York county is also one of the biggest by population on our list of 25 Wealthiest Counties in the US. According to the 2020 census, Nassau County has a population of 1,395,774."

"3. Santa Clara County​

Median Household Income: $130,890

Santa Clara County is a California county that’s the home to Silicon Valley which is arguably the world’s tech capital. As a result, Santa Clara County is the headquarters to a lot of major tech companies such as Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) which is the world’s most valuable company. According to the Census, Santa Clara County has a median household income of $130,890."

Bottom line they are both in the top ten out of the entire country and most other wealth counties on the East Coast are in the top ten.

Source = https://finance.yahoo.com/news/25-wealthiest-counties-us-180300049.html

and the top income counties in the USA are on the east coast -
Source - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-income_counties_in_the_United_States

Of course it's high and the high prices hurt a lot of people. I've said that a million times. But using the extreme case of a remote area skews the information.

Yeah, Agree, it is something that @JeffKeryk isnt informed about.
The county that Jeff states as so wealthy in reality is only $11,000 more in median income than that of Nassau County NY.
and just like his county, that is median, some towns in Nassau county are the most wealthy in the nation. A public servant Nassau County Police Officer makes the median in about ten years, not counting perks and overtime.

"10. Nassau County
Median Household Income: $120,036
Nassau County ranks as the 10th wealthiest county in the US given its median household income of $120,036. The New York county is also one of the biggest by population on our list of 25 Wealthiest Counties in the US. According to the 2020 census, Nassau County has a population of 1,395,774."

"3. Santa Clara County​

Median Household Income: $130,890

Santa Clara County is a California county that’s the home to Silicon Valley which is arguably the world’s tech capital. As a result, Santa Clara County is the headquarters to a lot of major tech companies such as Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) which is the world’s most valuable company. According to the Census, Santa Clara County has a median household income of $130,890."

Bottom line they are both in the top ten out of the entire country and most other wealth counties on the East Coast are in the top ten.

Source = https://finance.yahoo.com/news/25-wealthiest-counties-us-180300049.html

and the top income counties in the USA are on the east coast -
Source - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-income_counties_in_the_United_States
I wonder what the difference is state wide? Picking the highest may not be the most representative.
Regardless, we pay a lot for energy here, across the board. And we drive a lot.

Of course it's high and the high prices hurt a lot of people. I've said that a million times. But using the extreme case of a remote area skews the information.
@demarpaint

Im not sure if the both of you realize that $6 ref was for premium.

I see this over there in CA lines up a little more with what Jeff says

I wonder what the difference is state wide? Picking the highest may not be the most representative.
Regardless, we pay a lot for energy here, across the board. And we drive a lot.
I only picked your county because that is what you referenced. I picked Demarpaint because that is his county.
Long Island is an island, separated by most the of the state of NY.
However it still stands, CA incomes are only less than $11,000 higher than all of NYS. With that said, well, we cant talk politics here but the gas prices are only one indication. Long Island is an Island unto itself in many ways, disconnected from the rest of the state.
You brought incomes into the conversation and both I and @demarpaint wonder why?

I only picked your county because that is what you referenced. I picked Demarpaint because that is his county.
Long Island is an island, separated by most the of the state of NY.
However it still stands, CA incomes are only less than $11,000 higher than all of NYS. With that said, well, we cant talk politics here but the gas prices are only one indication. Long Island is an Island unto itself in many ways, disconnected from the rest of the state.
You brought incomes into the conversation and both I and @demarpaint wonder why?

Because cost is relative. If you make minimum wage, $2 gas may very well be a big expense. If you make $300K, well $6 gas doesn't hurt as much. So you drive a big fat Benz, or even a gas hog Tundra.

All good.

No it wont. I wouldn't want one as a gift no matter how much gas cost and I have paid $8 a gallon when gas was almost 2 Euro a litre.
You ev fan boys need to get this into your heads some people just don't want one, period.
I hear ya, and if I were to get one as a gift, I'd sell it. Truth be told anyone in a position to give me one as a gift knows better, and would give me something else. ;)

I wanted to be a stock broker. Or an economist. I grew up in a small farming town. Bankers were the people that took peoples farms away. People like me weren't allowed to grow up to be bankers. I became an engineer. I don't do much engineering anymore, but that is where I started.

Anyway stocks are a hobby. Started buying them in very small amounts right out of college. I read lots, I listen lots. Now days you can podcast lots. I find the whole financial system very interesting - so for me its a hobby. But as I mentioned, its money I can loose.

My 401K is 100% in a S&P500 ETF.
Here's where I say typically engineers have above average intelligence, they need it to complete their bachelor's degree. I made it one year then switched to economics. I like to think that regardless of occupation, engineers have a lot of practical knowledge. My dad was aeronautical but never worked one day in the industry. Did his masters in electrical and applied math...

What I'd bust on my dad about? I'd say you're very intelligent, more so than I am, and you understand probability well and can explain it. So why do you buy lottery tickets? And he would laugh 😊

Here's where I say typically engineers have above average intelligence, they need it to complete their bachelor's degree. I made it one year then switched to economics. I like to think that regardless of occupation, engineers have a lot of practical knowledge. My dad was aeronautical but never worked one day in the industry. Did his masters in electrical and applied math...

What I'd bust on my dad about? I'd say you're very intelligent, more so than I am, and you understand probability well and can explain it. So why do you buy lottery tickets? And he would laugh 😊
I buy the occasional lottery ticket. I understand completely - my odds of winning are approaching 1 / infinity - ie the asymptotic limit. The odds of winning without a ticket are zero. :ROFLMAO:

I buy the occasional lottery ticket. I understand completely - my odds of winning are approaching 1 / infinity - ie the asymptotic limit. The odds of winning without a ticket are zero. :ROFLMAO:
I used to have FOMO, even before that term was invented. I'd be afraid I'd come to work and all my coworkers would be gone. I'd actually be really irritated if they didn't collect from me :ROFLMAO:

The lotto scares me. I believe it to be a tax on poor people. I have never bought a ticket.
I have bought a lot of investment products. They have done quite well.

Back