Tesla Stock

Serious question:

Is this an electric vehicle topic question? - because we’re talking about the stock of one company.

We have lots of threads on Tesla. But this thread title, and the preponderance of the discussion, are about the stock price.

Seems to be more of a general and off topic discussion

I dont think the stock ever deserved a dedicated thread on an oil forum. Tesla's do not use motor oil.
This entire topic has run its course in my opinion, the same cheerleaders, the same cynics chasing their tails. (myself included on the latter end).

I dont think the stock ever deserved a dedicated thread on an oil forum. Tesla's do not use motor oil.
This entire topic has run its course in my opinion, the same cheerleaders, the same cynics chasing their tails. (myself included on the latter end).
I honestly thought it was more about car care than anything, oil though be a huge topic for most cars. Certainly stocks don't come to mind with the name.

Teslas use gear oil, is that enough?

Serious question:

Is this an electric vehicle topic question? - because we’re talking about the stock of one company.

We have lots of threads on Tesla. But this thread title, and the preponderance of the discussion, are about the stock price.

Seems to be more of a general and off topic discussion
Yeah, like all threads, it gets polluted. Seems like it's hard to post in here without other subjects coming up.
I thought it was a good thread and valid because it is turning out to be a strong indicator of the state of Tesla EVs of which they were the ones to break ground on EVs.
But I guess run its course now. Seems impossible to talk about Tesla sales, either good or bad and the financials for the company. Maybe "Other Topics" is fine, just weird it has to do with EVs and the future. SO is the EV section just to talk about cars and not the industry?
I dont know the answer either, seems weird that a new ground breaking automobile technology brought about by Tesla wouldnt have a place in the forum but maybe the "Other Topics" if no one wants to talk about the company here?

I lost 100% of my investment in GM when they were forced into bankruptcy. One could argue that it won’t happen again. But they have not improved.
Here are GMs numbers after the financial crisis of 2008, the last true survivor of the US auto industry that turns profit and income numbers like this. There are no others, Ford hanging in there, unreliable with its losses since that time.
We eat our own in the USA and why everything is made offshore. GM and Ford one of the last two big ticket survivors.
Here is GM coming out of bankruptcy after the 2008 financial meltdown that took down some of the biggest.

Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 9.46.32 AM.jpg

We have lots of topics, lots of sections, even, that are not strictly oil. The firearms section. The aviation section discusses, well, aviation, and not just airplane oil. We have investing threads, threads on food, threads on vacation, and those threads are in the "general and off topic" section.

So, your comment doesn't answer the question, doesn't take into account all those other threads, and as such, it is simply another "anti-Tesla" post.

Teslas do use oil, by the way. It's sealed up in the drive unit, but there is actual lubrication that is provided by oil.

We have lots of topics, lots of sections, even, that are not strictly oil. The firearms section. The aviation section discusses, well, aviation, and not just airplane oil. We have investing threads, threads on food, threads on vacation, and those threads are in the "general and off topic" section.

So, your comment doesn't answer the question, doesn't take into account all those other threads, and as such, it is simply another "anti-Tesla" post.

Teslas do use oil, by the way. It's sealed up in the drive unit, but there is actual lubrication that is provided by oil.

My answer was to the point and direct. What you are asking is really an internal moderator question. My take on that is If its taking too much effort to control a hotly contested and often political discussion, redirect folks to the investor thread.

My answer was to the point and direct. What you are asking is really an internal moderator question. My take on that is If its taking too much effort to control a hotly contested and often political discussion, redirect folks to the investor thread.
There is no Investor Section Look are the dozens of sections on BITOG
You seem to be blending official topics with user generated threads that come and go on a daily basis.

What I dont understand so much is why those who dont want it bother to click on it and join the conversation or read it.

There is no Investor Section Look are the dozens of sections on BITOG
You seem to be blending official topics with user generated threads that come and go on a daily basis.

What I dont understand so much is why those who dont want it bother to click on it and join the conversation or read it.
Thats a good solution too, but only mods can answer if they want to put in the effort.

BTW- back to Tesla Stock
-If you invested 2 years ago today you lost 40% of your money;
-If you invested 1 year ago today you gained 12% on your money
-If you invested Jan1st you lost 27% of your money

I call this risk reward in an unstable company that never made any money except for 3 years out of its 15 year history.
But because of that risk people did make a fortune, just like BitCoin. (actually the coin is more stable)

GM
- If you invested 2 years ago today you made 16% on your money
- If you invested 1 year ago today you made 35% on your money
- If you invested Jan 1st you made 24% on your money

To me, this is the difference from a stable company with a track record of steady boring profits for the last 15 years. Risk is much lower

Either way, retail is scary... ;) and just because I post this, some may not realize I do not hold GM long term, I trade in and out of it knowing that if I mess up, sooner or later it will come back. But its swings are more boring but the risk, less. Just my thoughts, in my tiny limited stock trading world. I fall in love with no one company and I can get out the next time I want to grab another 15 to 20% profit.
One thing for sure, as much as GM LOVES to step on their own two feet ALL the time, they are currently hitting it out of the ball park, sales and profits soaring as much as some in here hate to hear of successful American companies.

To me GMs two latest blunders were cancelling the BOLT which now they are reconsidering and maybe finalized to revive it.
The other is annoying everyone (almost) on planet earth getting rid of Apple Play in their cars. They just sometimes cant get out of their own way, who knows, maybe their will get the bugs out of their proprietary entertainment system after annoying enough of their customers *LOL* Its unbelievable yet the sales and profits keep rolling in. I personally believe they have some of the best looking cars on the market that the majority of Americans can afford matched by no one.

Last edited:
Tesla us more than an electric vehicle company.
People say that but they make no money to justify the stock price to prove it. Nor do they name the products.
There is only other product that produces a profit is battery storage solutions still nothing compared to automobiles and it doesnt come close to significantly enhancing the bottom line yet.

Tesla solar is in the toilet, a huge fail with falling sales. I wouldnt be surprised to see them shut down.

BTW- GM is entering the storage business, though with what is seemingly a more cloudy future with this whole so called earth friendly agenda they are not too heavy invested to pull out. Just like GM is cutting back EV production of which Tesla has no option at the moment.
GM Energy - Click here

Last edited:
I honestly thought it was more about car care than anything, oil though be a huge topic for most cars. Certainly stocks don't come to mind with the name.
BITOG is a "social media" type site now. Just look at all the different forums and subject matter.

BITOG is a "social media" type site now. Just look at all the different forums and subject matter.
I mean it always kind of has been, but there's an off topic section. The EV section didn't really do what the other topics did, as in staying on topic.

Anyone who doesn't like how BITOG is managed could start their own chat board and manage it how they'd like. ;) 😄

I wonder how much the Model 2 has been ‘finalized’ and how much still needs to be engineered ?

We shall see how things play out in the next year.
If the Model 2 is still a thing and is "supposed to be delivered " sometime mid 2024. That was last year according to Musk. The problem is that nobody has seen and camo test vehicles driving around that could be it. Manufacturers traditionally test three years out (see the spy shots I grabbed last August and uploaded of the I'm fairly sure Audi. It's a 2026 model). The model 2 would have to have been on the ground testing as far back as 2021 to get a mid year 2024 on sale date.

Does anyone know what the Model 2 is supposed to be? A small crossover like a Trax?

If the Model 2 is still a thing and is "supposed to be delivered " sometime mid 2024. That was last year according to Musk. The problem is that nobody has seen and camo test vehicles driving around that could be it. Manufacturers traditionally test three years out (see the spy shots I grabbed last August and uploaded of the I'm fairly sure Audi. It's a 2026 model). The model 2 would have to have been on the ground testing as far back as 2021 to get a mid year 2024 on sale date.

Yeah, what excuse will Elon have when no press cars the media can drive or no Model 2 available to purchase ?

I still believe Tesla is very innovative and stock still waaaaay overpriced.

Does Tesla have a ‘test track’ to test Model 2 like BMW has in Greer, SC ?
Maybe Tesla has one and no spy shots yet.

Last edited:
Back