Tesla Roadsters with "upgraded 400 mi" battery packs are experiencing battery failure. Those with original 200 mile packs are still fine. -Gruber MoCo

I wonder if the plan is to move to a US made pack?
Hope so. Maybe a smaller 4680 pack? That would be a nice option.

But it sounds like CATL might be making an LFP Prismatic pack factory in the USA for Tesla. Something similar to what Ford and CATL recently confirmed.

Last edited:
Or lower the price, like they did after the 2018 discount was halved 1/1/2019.
We bought in Dec 2018 and just snuk in for the full $7500 (or was it $7000?).
All good. I am waiting for the Highland.
What's the highland you speak of?
Is this the "model 2".

What's the highland you speak of?
Is this the "model 2".
The Model 3 refresh.
Musk idolized Henry Ford; he is honoring the 1st moving automobile assembly line with the "Highland Project." Remember before the Model T, cars were made by hand by a small group of workers. And were only for the rich.
For built his assembly line factory in Highland Park, Michigan. This was the 1st moving automobile assembly line and made extensive use of interchangable parts. "Using division of labor relentless cost-cutting and process optimization, the factory went through an experience curve to reduce price and increase volume." The rest is history.

The Model 3 refresh changeover is currently underway in Fremont; production is scheduled for Q3. Elon time, of course.
The new lines will incorporate everything Tesla has learned, use new Giga Presses and more. Cost to Mfg is expected to be dramatically improved. The Model Y refresh will follow. The results will pave the way for Monterrey.

I was planning on a M3P late last year; now I am waiting for the Highland.

Last edited:
A "panacea" no. I agree.

The question is, which is a better bet given everything we know and have seen?

I'd choose a cylindrical every time if I had a choice.
I truly don't know. The OG LEAF is hanging in there like a BOSS when you consider it is air cooled.

The Model 3 refresh.
Musk idolized Henry Ford; he is honoring the 1st moving automobile assembly line with the "Highland Project." Remember before the Model T, cars were made by hand by a small group of workers. And were only for the rich.
For built his assembly line factory in Highland Park, Michigan. This was the 1st moving automobile assembly line and made extensive use of interchangable parts. "Using division of labor relentless cost-cutting and process optimization, the factory went through an experience curve to reduce price and increase volume." The rest is history.

The Model 3 refresh changeover is currently underway in Fremont; production is scheduled for Q3. Elon time, of course.
The new lines will incorporate everything Tesla has learned, use new Giga Presses and more. Cost to Mfg is expected to be dramatically improved. The Model Y refresh will follow. The results will pave the way for Monterrey.

I was planning on a M3P late last year; now I am waiting for the Highland.
In 1912, almost 40% of the vehicles in the US were EV's. Ironically, it was Henry Ford's assy-line methods that made gas cars much more affordable, and killed the EV...until now. SO much irony.

In 1912, almost 40% of the vehicles in the US were EV's. Ironically, it was Henry Ford's assy-line methods that made gas cars much more affordable, and killed the EV...until now. SO much irony.
Exactly. That's my point and why Musk named the project "Highland". It is more of a factory redesign as the Model 3 refresh. Henry Ford changed the world; he put us in cars. He did things differently; ultimately better. Musk idolized him and is following the same mantra. Continuous improvement, cutting cost and time. Maximizing factory output to spread fixed costs over more vehicles. Ford offered 1 color and minimal (zero?) options to simplify production. Tesla has white, black, grey, blue and red. Pick color, drivetrain, wheels and AP. That's it. I wonder how many BOMs GM has for a given vehicle? Gotta be quite an exploded parts tree.

BOM is Bill of Material. A Master BOM is a decision tree that allows for all the possible parts on an assembly. It is a template.
Each physical assembly BOM will list all the parts required/used in that instance of the Master BOM. Serialization comes into play as parts are assigned to that vehicle's work order.
Parts can be piece parts, sub-assemblies, etc. Mfg Engineers strive to simplify BOMs for mfg efficiency.

The costing function will include the sum of materials costs as a cost component. Fixed Cost + Indirect Cost + Materials + Labor + Overhead + Warranty Holdback + Royalty is a typical cost calc. Selling Price - Cost is the Gross Margin calc; it is often reported as a ratio to Selling price, or GM / Price.

I truly don't know. The OG LEAF is hanging in there like a BOSS when you consider it is air cooled.
"working" yes.. degraded to the point of struggling to get to your mailbox and back in some instances, but they work.

"working" yes.. degraded to the point of struggling to get to your mailbox and back in some instances, but they work.
...and yet the main thrust against pouch cells is "it will swell and kill the pack". What we're seeing with leaf is just horrible degradation. Not pack death. What do you expect? It had no cooling.

...and yet the main thrust against pouch cells is "it will swell and kill the pack". What we're seeing with leaf is just horrible degradation. Not pack death. What do you expect? It had no cooling.
Yes thats the main criticism of the pouch.
Also correct in what we're seeing with the leaf, and not surprising its degraded.

The Nissan BMS handled this pack pretty well.

If I wanted a pro pouch story Id probably point at the leaf.

That said the leaf was never a deep and fast cycling contender comparable to new model offerings that charge at much higher rates. Its never been a competitive long range vehicle.

Last edited:
Also correct in what we're seeing with the leaf, and not surprising its degraded.

That said the leaf was never a deep and fast cycling contender comparable to new model offerings that charge at much higher rates. Its never been a competitive long range vehicle.
And yet we see failures from the 2016+ 400mi pack model S.
My point is, pack design and bms and quality > pouch vs cylinder.

And yet we see failures from the 2016+ 400mi pack model S.
My point is, pack design and bms and quality > pouch vs cylinder.

I completely understand that position. Poor design and bms can kill anything.

All other things equal I prefer cylindrical.

How EGMP performs over time will either moderate or harden my current position.

I completely understand that position. Poor design and bms can kill anything.

All other things equal I prefer cylindrical.

How EGMP performs over time will either moderate or harden my current position.
So far it's doing great mileage wise. Cars with 50-70k miles having little/no degradation based on forum reports I'm reading. That said, time levels all.

This is the only 3rd party data I have so far:
battery-degradation-study-shows-that-ev-batteries-last-much-longer-than-initial-estimates_7.jpg

battery-degradation-study-shows-that-ev-batteries-last-much-longer-than-initial-estimates_5.jpg

Last edited:
Like Ive said...cylindrical cells arent a panacea for longevity.
The phenomena associated with ageing and degradation aren’t geometry specific. 18650 crimp seals can creep. I’d rather have that than a pouch thst is reliant on a melt seal and a special Mylar to metal tab seal, but that’s a different discussion.

To get more energy in the cells, the separator is made thinner and the coat weight heavier. That can affect many things.

Yep. And a pretty speciality market at that.
Wow, im sure glad I can still get support and parts for my w123 diesel coupe. They only made 8800 of those ever. Same with my 350sd cars. That was only a few thousand over two years. Doesn’t give me much confidence in the tech company model when I expect value from my vehicles for longer than 15 years, niche or not.

Isn’t the leaf LTO?

Back