Tesla reducing battery life with update?

Corolla and Hilux are high volume, low margin. Tesla Model Y and Model 3 are high volume, high margin. Quite a feat for Tesla to compete with low priced mass market vehicles, right?
As I said, I'm happy for Tesla, but we are comparing apples to oranges. Imagine what would happen if you build Corolla the same way you build Tesla, with the reliability rating of Tesla, and the price / margin of Tesla...

The fact is, the world needs a lot of Corolla, and Toyota is doing something right building Corolla the way they are.

Corolla and Hilux are high volume, low margin. Tesla Model Y and Model 3 are high volume, high margin. Quite a feat for Tesla to compete with low priced mass market vehicles, right?

They were, before the massive price cuts. We’ll see down the road.

Musk is already warning of a challenging 12 months ahead. I’m guessing the numbers won’t look nearly that great for a while.

They were, before the massive price cuts. We’ll see down the road.

Musk is already warning of a challenging 12 months ahead. I’m guessing the numbers won’t look nearly that great for a while.

Tesla's margins are still 2x to 3x almost every major manufacturer.

Toyota is a master of building cars the way they do, but with Tesla coming out of left field manufacturing the way they do, they're a problem. Completely different approaches but they're both accomplishing different things. As mentioned above, apples and oranges.

Tesla's margins are still 2x to 3x almost every major manufacturer.
For now.

Their stock price does not reflect optimism about their future.

It’s trading at about half what I sold it for 8 months ago. It’s still at a premium P/E relative to the broader market, but nowhere near where it was as investors sober up.

For now.

It’s trading at about half what I sold it for 8 months ago. It’s still at a premium P/E relative to the broader market, but nowhere near where it was as investors sober up.
I don't think stock has a single thing to do with what it costs them to make a car. The stock price isn't liquid to them.

For now.

Past 12 months TSLA is trending slightly down, or maybe sideways. TSLA is up 60% YTD. Volatile? Heck yeah.
With the Q2 sales numbers, I expect margins to rise due to economies of scale and more efficient factory use which spreads overhead over more units.

Last edited:
With the Q2 sales numbers, I expect margins to rise due to economies of scale and more efficient factory use which spreads overhead over more units.

That may help, and I can see that as a factor long-term. But cutting Model Y LR prices $13,000 overnight is pretty major.

I personally don’t believe they cut prices just to “put pressure on the competition”. Cutting prices, bringing back the referral program and announcing they’re gonna start advertising. That just doesn’t pass the “smell test” that demand is just endless.

Sometimes you don't know what you don't know until a warranty claim happens. It isn't something they intend to do and IMO they can always settle by providing a refund / credit for the owners affected.

30 miles range short? Here's $6000 to you in supercharger credit, or if you want to trade in we will swap the car for another one with 30 miles more in range (used of course). I don't think it is that big of a deal if they will pay for it.
We know full well that running a battery across too wide a state of charge range can affect its lifetime by orders of magnitude. No surprises there. We also know full well that batteries chemically age with calendar time and with cycles (and heat).

No surprises here. Established practice.

Past 12 months TSLA is trending slightly down, or maybe sideways.
Huh? This is not "slightly"
Screenshot 2023-05-18 at 8.40.24 AM.jpg

Back