Tesla reducing battery life with update?

I have no idea but it seems a bit diabolical that they are able to reduce the range with a simple update. In 10 years when they think you have had enough life out of this car or battery what is to stop them taking it out?

So 7-10 years ago 1743 cars got temporarily gimped 10% for up to 10 months, they got 695.00 for their trouble and then Tesla fixed it.

During that case, Tesla's outside counsel Sean P. Gates admitted via court declaration that 'Data from Tesla shows that 1,743 2012-2016 Model S vehicles in the United States were subject to a 10 percent voltage limitation caused by a May 2019 software update.'
The issue, Gates said, was reportedly corrected in future software updates over the course of the next ten months.

I have no idea but it seems a bit diabolical that they are able to reduce the range with a simple update. In 10 years when they think you have had enough life out of this car or battery what is to stop them taking it out?

What stops them is they get caught because you cant really hide it. Can they do it - sure, but they never want to because the end users immediately take up the torches (rightfully so)

With some cars exactly what you are buying isnt precisely disclosed and this can manifest itself several ways -
the battery may or may not have a buffer you may or may not be able to access - things like negative mileage past zero.

Further compounding the problem is you arent allways allowed to use all the battery you do purchase - this can lead to you getting longer life than you would otherwise because your overhead covers degradation, or the occasional bonus allotment when the manufacturer is feeling generous or like when tesla unlocked cars leaving a city with a hurricane pounding down to give all their customers max range

Sure it's possible, but that seems like a dangerous step. It bit Apple in the ass before and got them to go back and fix it in a similar fashion as UncleDave mentioned for Tesla. I get the answer that they're trying to protect the battery for longer term usage which is what Apple said. Now whether that was a real or BS answer, it did affect the end user's experience in a way that caused backlash. If they managed to pull something like that again and hide it well enough to get away with it for any real period of time, I'd likely pursue a different brand the next time.

I guess that wouldn't be hard to for me to choose to do in the automotive world. Except with my wife sometimes having the same brand of car as me occasionally, I have never bought the same make of vehicle twice. Cars are always an experience for me and I have favorite brands, but it doesn't equate to loyalty for purchases.

Just the fact that they can mess with battery life bothers me. That goes for cell phones too. The more I read about EVs the less I like them.
27.gif

Just the fact that they can mess with battery life bothers me. That goes for cell phones too. The more I read about EVs the less I like them.
27.gif

There is a simple workaround - disable the update until you know what it does.

Every car you have ever owned is effectively rev locked anyway.

I hear ya, but not everyone is tech savvy. Many people go for every update thrown their way.

There is no doubt Tesla can modify battery range; they increased mine with an update years ago. OTA updates can be pretty insignificant to pretty major.

In this case, which cars are affected and how many? What is their evidence?

So 7-10 years ago 1743 cars got temporarily gimped 10% for up to 10 months, they got 695.00 for their trouble and then Tesla fixed it.

During that case, Tesla's outside counsel Sean P. Gates admitted via court declaration that 'Data from Tesla shows that 1,743 2012-2016 Model S vehicles in the United States were subject to a 10 percent voltage limitation caused by a May 2019 software update.'
The issue, Gates said, was reportedly corrected in future software updates over the course of the next ten months.
10% voltage limitation could be like 3% drop in capacity.
IMG_5487.jpeg

Last edited:

I agree with you, but going back to my cell phone analogy - if you don't update you loose functionality or access to certain apps.

For a EV, they could for example limit your ability to charge at a Supercharger, or throttle your charge speed even at home. Again, this would cause some public outcry, but they could come up with some safety excuse for example.

However on a similar note, I know how to disable the DRM on our new Toyota, but I haven't done so yet. Guess I am too trusting their also.

I agree with you, but going back to my cell phone analogy - if you don't update you loose functionality or access to certain apps.

For a EV, they could for example limit your ability to charge at a Supercharger, or throttle your charge speed even at home. Again, this would cause some public outcry, but they could come up with some safety excuse for example.

However on a similar note, I know how to disable the DRM on our new Toyota, but I haven't done so yet. Guess I am too trusting their also.

Sort of - The car OS has been pretty much stand alone unlike a phone with millions of 3rd party apps of dubious security intent.

I'm pretty sure they could have waited this one out it was only 10 months and no one got their wings clipped at a supercharger.

People like getting free bennies OTA so they are usually really quick to accept an upload.

I hear you - over the air updates has the potential to be intrusive and I get where this is an issue for some.

If it helps anyone, I have updates set to "Advanced" or something like that. Living on the edge...
Each to their own, but this car is amazing. OTA updates are great.

I also believe that if many people got to know these cars, they would love them. Evidence? Owners are rabid about their Teslas, warts and all.

Back