Tesla reducing battery life with update?

OTA updates are great.
By and large the vast majority are upsides, some useless other silly, but stuff like combined breaking, and various track modes do indeed get you something.

No one complains when they get free stuff.

The last update to charging cues and reroute based on cue was phenomenal.

Id probably just keep rolling the dice on automatic if I owned one of anything - Id rather be cautious vs possibly risk a known or suspected overheat race loop.

Just the fact that they can mess with battery life bothers me. That goes for cell phones too. The more I read about EVs the less I like them.
27.gif
If your EV or cell phone had no software battery management they would both be extremely degraded after a short time and any deep discharges. A product I worked on recieved a software release that basically doubled the time the battery takes to reach 80% of initial capacity through careful load management and creative/intelligent state of charge reporting to the user.

A lot of people like to bring up that Apple story where they introduced throttling based on battery health as if it is a negative. The thing is, they aren't just trying to sell you new batteries, they are actually trying to protect what's left of your battery and prevent your phone from rebooting. It's really common to see very old phones reboot spontaneously at low battery percentages when a heavy transient load is placed on the battery, particularly in cold weather. As the battery ages and internal resistance increases, you increase the risk of brown-out / UVLO / reset when you draw a lot of current. By limiting the max CPU power usage they are able to ensure your phone is stable and it's less abusive to an already aged battery.

Last edited:
Just the fact that they can mess with battery life bothers me. That goes for cell phones too. The more I read about EVs the less I like them.
27.gif
Unfortunately, many electronics are not sold by performance but by the input, that's the analog nature of it. For example the SSD or hard drive you buy is advertised with certain number of bytes but some will get more than the others due to defects, and how much good stuff is left really depends on the nature and randomness of quality. How do you tell how long will a battery charge last is really one of the best example of it.

Yet drawn to discussion about them for some reason?
Morbid fascination?
Wrong, twice. I'm trying to learn, and seeing if the tech is improving and/or if something better is around the corner. In it's current configuration I'm not impressed. Since this is an open forum myself and others participate, which is one of the reasons this board exists. Like many topics unfortunately we aren't all going to agree. ;)

Last edited:
What stops them is they get caught because you cant really hide it. Can they do it - sure, but they never want to because the end users immediately take up the torches (rightfully so)

With some cars exactly what you are buying isnt precisely disclosed and this can manifest itself several ways -
the battery may or may not have a buffer you may or may not be able to access - things like negative mileage past zero.

Further compounding the problem is you arent allways allowed to use all the battery you do purchase - this can lead to you getting longer life than you would otherwise because your overhead covers degradation, or the occasional bonus allotment when the manufacturer is feeling generous or like when tesla unlocked cars leaving a city with a hurricane pounding down to give all their customers max range
This is one of my reasons not to own a Tesla. They pulled a similar stunt a few years back when they removed autopilot and tried to charge people to "install" it. The consensus is that Tesla is trying to eek out a little more life from the batteries so they don't have to replace them under warranty

Wrong, twice. I'm trying to learn, and seeing if the tech is improving and/or if something better is around the corner. In it's current configuration I'm not impressed. Since this is an open forum myself and others participate, which is one of the reasons this board exists. Like many topics unfortunately we aren't all going to agree. ;)
Supposedly battery technology based on salt is on the table and will provide more efficiency.

Supposedly battery technology based on salt is on the table and will provide more efficiency.
That would be great, and if the fires are easier to put out and less toxic it could be a step in the right direction.

Apple is famous for doing this, so no surprise Tesla would try it too :sneaky:

Yay glad to see the hide emoji again :D

Apple and Tesla are like 🍎 and 🍊. The Apple updates provide more usability and features and these take power. If your iPhone or other device is a few years old it will be noticeable on your battery. Same with Android. That’s why battery management software is in place.

I’m not sure why a Tesla update would affect battery life.

They have been around for over 100 years, they are popular in the off-grid power community. They are not as energy dense as other batteries but do last twice as long as FLA.

I have no idea but it seems a bit diabolical that they are able to reduce the range with a simple update. In 10 years when they think you have had enough life out of this car or battery what is to stop them taking it out?

Another media pet peeve of mine regarding media incompetence, most reporters today know nothing about the person or subject they write about, its just media pushed out to the public as fast as possible to get to the next subject, next page = more advertising revenue.
No one cares about facts.
I wonder if anyone in BITOG noticed the glaring incorrect statement right in the first sentence.

"Tesla owners have filed a lawsuit against the Elon Musk-owned company, claiming a their vehicles' car batteries with ill-conceived automatic software updates."

Elon Musk does not own Tesla, he does own slightly less than 24% of the company which is very significant of course but he could be kicked out of his CEO position if the Tesla board no longer wanted him. You can bet the writer has no clue.

This is one of my reasons not to own a Tesla. They pulled a similar stunt a few years back when they removed autopilot and tried to charge people to "install" it. The consensus is that Tesla is trying to eek out a little more life from the batteries so they don't have to replace them under warranty

From what I can tell every EV car can take control of the the BMS remotely, or force a change down your throat - look at the Bolt for an example of what could happen.

I don't recall the autopilot issue? I know there were several instances of used cars that had the SW pulled from them.

Wrong that you are drawn to discussion about them? that part seems true, by your continual return to the topic.
The other was a guess.

I have zero issue with anyone being here, and that wasnt a slam on you in any way, more of an acknowledgment you hate despise and want nothing to do with them which I have no issue with either.

We have much more in common than not.
You and I have always been able to disagreee without becoming disagreeable which is one of the many reasons I enjoy your contributions.

As Alarmguy points out, there is frequently bias against Tesla in news stories. Like where it is mentioned that a Tesla is involved in some incident but the make of the vehicle has absolutely nothing to do with it.

A couple of days ago there was a multi-vehicle accident on the freeway where a Chevy suburban that crashed was carrying one more passenger than it had seatbelts for and multiple passengers were ejected resulting in 3 fatalities. Sounds like several passengers weren't belted in regardless of whether or not a belt was available.

Then it was mentioned that the Suburban ran into a Tesla and the writer furthermore had to add a speculative statement that "it wasn't known if the Tesla was in self driving mode"

So it appears that the Suburban was overloaded, probably had some children that weren't in child seats, had several passengers who weren't belted in, no mention of excess speed or if the Suburban was poorly maintained with bald tires and worn brakes and suspension, if the driver was under the influence at 7:30 AM, had no license or insurance or other pertinent information, but the writer has to point out that it was a Tesla that was ran into and the Tesla could have been in the self driving mode. This is what passes for journalism today.

Wrong that you are drawn to discussion about them? that part seems true, by your continual return to the topic.
That's how I learn, something piques my interest I read about it, and I can post if I decide to. I'm not the only member posting in these threads who isn't a fan. Once again you can always block me if you desire.

Last edited:
That's how I learn, and I can post if I decide to. I'm not the only member posting in these threads who isn't a fan. You can always block me if you desire.

I'm certainly not saying you shouldn't, this place is filled with haters.

As with many others I can reliably guess what their input will be on nearly any topic related to the issue - one more reason not to own a BEV. Really massive leaps in tech aren't a month out for these vehicles so I doubt anyone mind will be changing soon.

I have no desire to block you, I like your posts even on this topic.

As with many others I can reliably guess what their input will be on nearly any topic related to the issue - one more reason not to own a BEV. Really massive leaps in tech aren't a month out for these vehicles so I doubt anyone mind will be changing soon.

Here's something we might have in common. I can also reliably guess others input on nearly any topic related to the issue as well. Thick thin, EV's, additives, favorite oils, etc. Maybe we both spend too much time here. ;)

I don't think it's "haters" per see but you have to admit that Musk promises "full level 5 fully autonomous" Teslas every year for the last what 7,8, 9 years? Many people purchased said vehicles because Musk "promised " a product with certain characteristics. That's fraud no matter who you are. If you ran a business with those types of promises and didn't deliver you'd be in jail or bankrupt why isn't he?

Here's something we might have in common. I can also reliably guess others input on nearly any topic related to the issue as well. Thick thin, EV's, additives, favorite oils, etc. Maybe we both spend too much time here. ;)

As with all topics - I personally value input based on experience more than mere opinion, but am happy to hear about both.

No doubt Im here too much, for the most part I really like these guys.

I don't think it's "haters" per see but you have to admit that Musk promises "full level 5 fully autonomous" Teslas every year for the last what 7,8, 9 years? Many people purchased said vehicles because Musk "promised " a product with certain characteristics. That's fraud no matter who you are. If you ran a business with those types of promises and didn't deliver you'd be in jail or bankrupt why isn't he?

The guy totally overpromises and under delivers, but he's very careful about what the software license claims.

The reason it isnt fraud is that technically he didnt recognize the revenue and he didnt promise something it cant do it in writing - its sitting in an account if he's forced to refund it.

At the same time the guy builds the best electric car and revolutionized the business - regardless if one likes him personally or not.

He changed the auto world, he changed spaceflight, and he fundamentally changed the internet.

Last edited:
Back