Not open for further replies.
Only been 3 fires,

Two were caused by road debris,
that would have killed a gas car or electric
(tow hitch hit at 60+)

Tesla has addressed the problem,
Front of battery pack (bottom of car)
has more armor...

I already wanted the Model S, but this quicker 0-60 makes it even more appealing to me! That mode would be a heck of a lot of fun, like owning your own roller coaster!
smile.gif

If I owned a Tesla, I would use the free charging stations all the time, I'd never use my own electricity. I would simply visit the charging station in my area as needed (I could probably go two weeks on a charge), and while it's charging my wife and I would get our exercise by going for a nice long walk in that area (we already go for long walks all the time to get our exercise) So even if it took an hour or two to charge, that's no big deal, we'd fit that time into our schedule like we already do anyways.

And if we wanted to take a long road trip, we'd use those charging stops as time to stretch our legs, get a bite to eat, etc. Sure it might add a little bit of time to the journey, but I think it would make for fun adventures. And it has a 250 mile range, so by the time that runs low you'd need a bathroom break anyways.

My only problem is that I wouldn't be able to agonize over what oil should I run in it!
laugh.gif

People keep saying the range is an issue. I'm sure they said they same thing when the car started replacing the horse.

The Model S is the best 4 door sedan you can buy now for around $100k.

Awesome car.

Electric motors have far more potential for performance than gas engines, for the simple reason they make all their power and torque from revolution 1. Lets not forget to mention that they are simpler, smaller, lighter, have almost no moving parts so they will last almost forever, and have no service requirements.

Remember if you put say an Audi S8 up on a lift and a Tesla the Tesla probably has like 80% less parts to make it AWD. No transmission, no transfer case, no axles. All that [censored] ages and needs work after a certain point. Tesla gets AWD by just adding another simple electric motor up front!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oilboy123
I say keep pushing the envelope on electric cars. Those bashing them do so out of allegiance to gas vehicles.

I don't need a car that can do 0-60 in 2.8 seconds as a stunt. I do need a car I can drive 500 miles without having to stop for hours to 'refuel'.

In the long term, I suspect electric cars will replace ICE cars as telepresense makes long trips far less common, because you'll be able to 3D print the car of your dreams in your garage with batteries good enough to drive around town for a few days. But that's still a long way off, yet.

I would think a couple of those quick 0-60 runs will eat up battery power pretty quick and shorten the range.

I still see the electric car as a toy. they are expensive and still have limited range. In the future I am sure they will get better, have longer range, and be more reasonable in price.

Originally Posted By: Patman
I already wanted the Model S, but this quicker 0-60 makes it even more appealing to me! That mode would be a heck of a lot of fun, like owning your own roller coaster!
smile.gif

If I owned a Tesla, I would use the free charging stations all the time, I'd never use my own electricity. I would simply visit the charging station in my area as needed (I could probably go two weeks on a charge), and while it's charging my wife and I would get our exercise by going for a nice long walk in that area (we already go for long walks all the time to get our exercise) So even if it took an hour or two to charge, that's no big deal, we'd fit that time into our schedule like we already do anyways.

And if we wanted to take a long road trip, we'd use those charging stops as time to stretch our legs, get a bite to eat, etc. Sure it might add a little bit of time to the journey, but I think it would make for fun adventures. And it has a 250 mile range, so by the time that runs low you'd need a bathroom break anyways.

My only problem is that I wouldn't be able to agonize over what oil should I run in it!
laugh.gif

They aren't free. It was a $2,000 option for base model and it is included in the price of higher cost models.

This super-charge marketing is like every other company, they charge money up front and advertised it as a free service for buying their cars.

Tesla discourages owners regularly using local fast charge stations, they said that these stations are for long distance travelers. If you use it once every 2-3 months is okay with them, more than that they may disable the fast charge of your car.

I think the super chargers stress the battery.

Part of the luxury of having a Tesla or any electric car for that matter is being able to charge it up in your garage. No trips to the gas station, just plug it in, and the next morning your at 100%.

If your a typical $100k car buyer you have a house and may have solar panels on it. In a situation like this the Model S really excels in terms of centers per mile operating costs.

The way I drive I would have to plug in once every 7-10 days for a Model S.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: emg
Originally Posted By: oilboy123
I say keep pushing the envelope on electric cars. Those bashing them do so out of allegiance to gas vehicles.

I don't need a car that can do 0-60 in 2.8 seconds as a stunt. I do need a car I can drive 500 miles without having to stop for hours to 'refuel'.

In the long term, I suspect electric cars will replace ICE cars as telepresense makes long trips far less common, because you'll be able to 3D print the car of your dreams in your garage with batteries good enough to drive around town for a few days. But that's still a long way off, yet.

The current range of about 200 miles is about 3 hours of driving. Or long enough that most folks will need to get out and use the facilities unless going for the Iron Bladder title. That 200 mile range is what's available from a 20-minute quick charger. Stop, plug in the car, use the facilities, stretch, and hop in for another 3 hours.

Originally Posted By: whip
People keep saying the range is an issue. I'm sure they said they same thing when the car started replacing the horse.

Yes, when the electric car started replacing the horse.

Then the ICE car rapidly replaced the electric car, because electric cars sucked for all the reasons they still suck.

You guys think the gas stations just showed up all over the USA overnight? Not only you don't know any history, you also lack imagination. Once upon a time, ICE had the same kind of "range anxiety" over the horse.

Originally Posted By: emg
Originally Posted By: whip

Yes, when the electric car started replacing the horse.

Then the ICE car rapidly replaced the electric car, because electric cars sucked for all the reasons they still suck.

What reasons do they suck?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: Patman
smile.gif

laugh.gif

They aren't free. It was a $2,000 option for base model and it is included in the price of higher cost models.

This super-charge marketing is like every other company, they charge money up front and advertised it as a free service for buying their cars.

Tesla discourages owners regularly using local fast charge stations, they said that these stations are for long distance travelers. If you use it once every 2-3 months is okay with them, more than that they may disable the fast charge of your car.

A person I know who own a Volt (sure not same battery size) told me a full home recharge costs him 0.90 CAD$.

The other good thing is in Quebec, and partly in Ontario as they buy some of our electricity, electricity is mainly from hydraulic dam: That is the cleanest you can find (nothing is clean).

Should not be that expensive even if you do not use the super chargers (in my case, it is free to recharge at work: about half a dozen Volts, 2-3 Leaf and a Miev owners)

You have a citation on this?
I think that rumor has as much weight as like Don't sign up for comcast, they have download caps and you'll hit the cap.

I think it's more like if you're in the top 0.1% users who for whatever quirky reason use it 2x every day then they'll have a convo with you; not the once a month or even once a week or couple times a week guy.

Plus unless you are really weird, folding in supercharging to a daily routine is going to change your lifestyle.

The venn diagram of people who spend $100,000 on a car but also would want to willingly go out of their way and wait 30min on a daily basis to get a free charge is kinda small.

I think Elon would like to see nothing else but have all his supercharger stations in full use all the time. That represents optimal efficiency, and speed up the plans to build more.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: raytseng

You have a citation on this?
I think that rumor has as much weight as like Don't sign up for comcast, they have download caps and you'll hit the cap.

I think it's more like if you're in the top 0.1% users who for whatever quirky reason use it 2x every day then they'll have a convo with you; not the once a month or even once a week or couple times a week guy.

Plus unless you are really weird, folding in supercharging to a daily routine is going to change your lifestyle.

The venn diagram of people who spend $100,000 on a car but also would want to willingly go out of their way and wait 30min on a daily basis to get a free charge is kinda small.

I think Elon would like to see nothing else but have all his supercharger stations in full use all the time. That represents optimal efficiency, and speed up the plans to build more.

No, Tesla didn't officially threaten to disable the fast charger on cars that use local supercharger station regularly, that was a rumor they may do it in future.

Quote:
The trend has caught the attention of Chief Executive Elon Musk. During the company’s annual shareholder meeting in June, he indicated the Superchargers are too often being used by people who are driving around town instead of those needing energy for longer road trips, creating lines of people waiting for juice.

“There are a few people who are quite aggressively using it for local supercharging,” he said. “We’ll sort of send them just a reminder note that it’s cool to do this occasionally, but it’s meant to be a long-distance thing.”

http://www.wsj.com/articles/tesla-owners-frustrated-by-recharge-waits-1435690694

Searching "Tesla San Juan Capistrano" you will find more articles about super charging station.

Originally Posted By: horse123
Originally Posted By: gregk24
The p85/90d are electric muscle cars, nothing more. Get it as capable as the GTR for 100k then it might be impressive.

No, muscle cars are terrible handlers. The Model S handles like its on rails, and scoots to 60 in 3 seconds...all while being wrapped in luxury. Would I ever buy one if I had the money? No, because of the unproven reliability factor.

Actually, any modern muscle car would beat the Model S in handling easily.

I don't know the weight of the Model S but I would assume, lighter than comparable HP muscle car. So I would assume better handling?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
You guys think the gas stations just showed up all over the USA overnight? Not only you don't know any history, you also lack imagination. Once upon a time, ICE had the same kind of "range anxiety" over the horse.

A lot of people are unable to see the big picture.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
Originally Posted By: gregk24
The p85/90d are electric muscle cars, nothing more. Get it as capable as the GTR for 100k then it might be impressive.

No, muscle cars are terrible handlers. The Model S handles like its on rails, and scoots to 60 in 3 seconds...all while being wrapped in luxury. Would I ever buy one if I had the money? No, because of the unproven reliability factor.

Actually, any modern muscle car would beat the Model S in handling easily.

I don't know the weight of the Model S but I would assume, lighter than comparable HP muscle car. So I would assume better handling?

I would be happy to take that challenge. The last test I saw was 2wd and it weighed a staggering 4700 pounds! But the weight is all very low so steady state cornering is good, but transients is where the Tesla will stink. You can't beat physics. Tires will likely be eaten up pretty fast, too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back