The quickest cars on earth ... 0-60 times

I know back in the sixties one of the most feared sleepers was the Pontiac Catalina 2+2 421 Super Duty with a four speed. 1962-1966. They'd pull 13.8 quarter miles and 3.9 second 0-60 times. Remember this was in a 4,400 pound car with skinny bias ply tires.
Was that the one with certain Aluminum body parts?

Standard missile 2 extended range block 4 (SM2 ER B4). Mach 1 in less than 250 yards. Top speed: Mach 4.4 (~3300mph).

Would be interesting to see some of these cars take off on a drag strip with lots of rubber already laid down on the asphalt. I would guess that has to reduce 0-60 times by a little bit.

Wonder what 0-60 would be with a KX or CR-500 two stroke dirt bike?

I actually won a bet in college racing a two stroke 500cc racing dirt bike. I was on the road, and he was on the gravel shoulder. We did three runs, and I beat him every time. He was a sponsored rider. For the first 0-30mph he took the edge, but after a second I just walked away. I was on a late 90's GSXR 1100.

Would be interesting to see some of these cars take off on a drag strip with lots of rubber already laid down on the asphalt. I would guess that has to reduce 0-60 times by a little bit.

I believe most of the "published" times are on a prepped surface. I know I could never come close to touching the 0-60 published times for my Vette on normal streets...there just isn't the traction...spins through 1&2.

Last edited:
Back