Temps & Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a bit confused and need some clarification.

I was talking to a so called oil expert at my last track day and he told me the temps my motorcycle reaches at the track is damaging my oil to the point of excessive engine wear.

I run Maxima Ultra 5W-50 in my 2008 GSX-R750 and do not run extended intervals.

I often see temps of 230+F when the bike is in the pits with the engine off after a session.

While on the track with the motor running the temps stay below 230F.

So is this guy correct? Are temps in the 230F killing my oil and damaging my engine or can the oil handle the temps no problem.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Originally Posted By: rraiderr

I was talking to a so called oil expert at my last track day and he told me the temps my motorcycle reaches at the track is damaging my oil to the point of excessive engine wear.

I often see temps of 230+F when the bike is in the pits with the engine off after a session.

So is this guy correct? Are temps in the 230F killing my oil and damaging my engine or can the oil handle the temps no problem.

230 degree oil temps are easy for a synthetic. You're not pushing it hard at all.

I have a feeling you're talking about water temp since you say it goes up after shutdown. For that, I have no idea. Oil usually runs hotter than water so it would just be a guess as to what the temp is and if you're in the danger zone.

I see oil temps between 220 and 240 on my 67 VW every time I drive it. I did re-route the cooler lines to try and help it stay a bit lower since the car has always seen 30wt dino its entire life. The oil has always been changed at 3k miles for the last 24 years, its still running strong.

Originally Posted By: rraiderr

If Maxima Ultra can't handle track riding temps, there is no oil that can. That oil is 100% Group V Diester synthetic basestock and can stand as much heat as any synthetic oil can. It also has one of the most robust additive paks of any oil on the market.

Use it with extreme confidence. There isn't any better on the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back