Tell me your fave choices of oil for a neglected engine

If you know or think an engine may have been neglected and "dirty". What oil(s) would be your pick to clean it up?

Looking at UOA's, I would think either Redline or Amsoil SSO would be my choices.

Can you run e85? I would run something that isn't going to cost you too much (fully synthetic) and go hard on the duty cycling for a few hours then put what you want in it. e85 does a heck of a job from what we saw in testing to "clean things up" especially at high load with a normal 1-2% blow by ... Wouldn't touch it after that session though lol.

Can you run e85? I would run something that isn't going to cost you too much (fully synthetic) and go hard on the duty cycling for a few hours then put what you want in it. e85 does a heck of a job from what we saw in testing to "clean things up" especially at high load with a normal 1-2% blow by ... Wouldn't touch it after that session though lol.
Neither car is spec'd for it.

When I had to clean my trucks engine do to previous owners neglect I used Castrol GTX 10W-40 conventional and it cleaned out the sludge and dirt with no issues or problems and man that engine was dirty when I got it because the previous owner was bad about going 5-6k over oil changes and used bulk oil from a quick lube place each time.

Shell Rotella Gas Truck Full Synthetic 5W-30 Motor Oil for Pickups and SUVs.​

It is on clearance at most Home Depots for under $15 for 5 quarts.

• Provides excellent protection for new and high mileage gas truck and SUV engines
  • Outperforms conventional motor oil in severe driving conditions including stop-and-go driving, extreme temperatures and towing
  • Provides extreme protection for hauling and towing
  • Protects horsepower
  • Provides unsurpassed wear protection3
  • Protects your truck engine in extreme temperatures and conditions
  • Maximum protection for both older and new truck engines
  • Helps prevent sludge and other damaging deposits
  • Synthetic base oil for added oxidation stability, improved volatility and low-temperature properties.
  • Helps keep your engine clean

I agree with this but many will say Castrol Ultraclean which is not wrong either.
Never heard of this oil! I wonder how good it works? 🤔

My preferences are Valvoline Premium Blue Restore, Castrol 0w40 Euro, M1 0w40 Euro, Redline, and for the cheap option an HDEO like Delo, Delvac, Rotella.
If I'm using a cheaper Synthetic/conventional and a short OCI then I would put in a "flush" as well.. Be it MMO, Kreen, Berryman chemtool (not Driving, fill, run, drain).
I would use a Fram Ultra or similar filter to catch all the little specs of crud down to the smallest micron.

I have a favorite, but it's just my personal choice, no real technical analysis. Pennzoil Yellow bottle synthetic with the Pure Plus (GTL) technology..
Your choice on the viscosity, but I used the 5W-40.
I'm not saying that it's cheap either, just that it worked for me.

Define "neglected engine"? In what car, How old?
Otherwise, it will be just a philosophical discussion which may be the intended question.

Back