Tell me about Range Rovers circa 2008

D60

I had a client just purchase an '08 Land Rover Range Rover Sport. Supercharged. Mileage unk.

No, he didn't consult me.

I'm the only wrench he trusts so I know I'll be asked to fix pretty much anything that goes wrong.

What are common issues/failures? Gotchas? Repairs I should absolutely decline?

I don't think I've ever laid a finger on a Range Rover -- they're just not common around here in BFE

Brave...

Electronics, air suspensions, some years around then had an oil pump issue, but I cannot remember the specifics. Get to know Atlantic British. Those weren't their best years for reliability, but are some of the best looking years, both interior and exterior. I see the appeal.

I always liked them, but didn't buy a new one until '12 when I was more comfortable w/ their suitability as a DD.

Good luck.

I had a client just purchase an '08 Land Rover Range Rover Sport. Supercharged. Mileage unk.

No, he didn't consult me.

I'm the only wrench he trusts so I know I'll be asked to fix pretty much anything that goes wrong.

What are common issues/failures? Gotchas? Repairs I should absolutely decline?

I don't think I've ever laid a finger on a Range Rover -- they're just not common around here in BFE
Air suspension pumps, more specific the dessicant system that purges the air lines of moisture. My boss only had one instance of it having an issue.

Reactions: D60
Brave...

Electronics, air suspensions, some years around then had an oil pump issue, but I cannot remember the specifics. Get to know Atlantic British. Those weren't their best years for reliability, but are some of the best looking years, both interior and exterior. I see the appeal.

I always liked them, but didn't buy a new one until '12 when I was more comfortable w/ their suitability as a DD.

Good luck.
Thank you. He wants a receiver on it and Atlantic British pops up as having a kit with wiring harness

As a former Range Rover owner, I have two words: money pit.
This guy is good at making bad decisions. I predict he gets frustrated and dumps it off in ~2 years. I hope I'm wrong and it's ultra reliable.

The old ones can be...needy, really needy. A good friend owns a very respected local Rover indy who specializes in later, off warranty LR's but also does the very early ones including a few 6 figure restos.

It is amazing how much better LR became under Tata. We've had 4 since ~2012 and they have been great, on par w/ BMW and, based on our experience, have had less issues the domestic SUV's we had previously. That said, I generally don't keep them after ~80K or so as that is an inflection in their value curve and I am just not that brave:D

The old ones can be...needy, really needy. A good friend owns a very respected local Rover indy who specializes in later, off warranty LR's but also does the very early ones including a few 6 figure restos.

It is amazing how much better LR became under Tata. We've had 4 since ~2012 and they have been great, on par w/ BMW and, based on our experience, have had less issues the domestic SUV's we had previously. That said, I generally don't keep them after ~80K or so as that is an inflection in their value curve and I am just not that brave:D
Yep, this guy makes poor, impulsive decisions and I think he's got ADD combined with PTSD from military service. The latter is why I tolerate him -- I never enlisted and his sacrifices mean I can live the life I do.

He said excitedly, "It was ninety-three thousand new!" I didn't have the heart to ask if he had paused to think why it doesn't hold value -- I have no idea what he paid.

Rovers and Jags are the worst of the bunch
Well, then the 2008 is the worst of the bunch because 2008 had the jag engine.

Good news is the trans is likely ZF I think?

Air suspension and other expensive modules that are likely hard to come by at this point. There is a reason a 15 year old car that cost $70K new are $4K now.

Still - if I found a clean one for $4K I would likely be dumb enough to buy it. Luckily every time I see one its been put away wet.

That can possibly be a complete total disaster if it wasn't maintained but then again if all the troublesome areas have already been addressed then it could be a good vehicle but there will always be something to fix on it. I service a few 2015 and newer and and they are extremely unreliable. Even as late as 2016 they have the plastic cooling pipe issues. I have also already replaced a motor in a 2017 Sport.

I looked at a slightly older one once and was surprised to discover that it was running an old Buick V8 variant.

good news is it’s not a 5.0, the 4.2 sc is a very good engine. zf6hp trans can make it the distance but usually before 200k it’s time for a rebuild

air suspension compressors burn out, update the software calibration and get the new amk compressor and drier. air shocks last a long time

heavy pig…suspension bushings take a beating so do wheel bearings

brake lines rot out crazy bad, like old gm truck bad

Last edited:
Does air suspension need to be "locked out" like Allroads before lifting?

Are there good lift points for a 2-post?

Admittedly, the parts costs for air suspension have come down alot over the years. Used parts are plentiful and common problems are known and documented.

Does air suspension need to be "locked out" like Allroads before lifting?

Are there good lift points for a 2-post?
no. you can lock it but it doesn’t have to be

use 2x4s and find the spot of your choice, it’s a body on frame vehicle. they have adapters for the rack pads to go into drain holes on the frame

I saw the vehicle today. It's black and seemingly in pristine condition. 109k miles. I helped them figure out how to use the joystick on left side of column to move the "tilt" wheel :D

He paid $9k which strikes me as high given the potential maintenance burden, but maybe that's a fair price and maybe some of the problems have been addressed

Back