Teflon oil/grease insde barrel bore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK in what sense? For storage? Sure, use anything you want that will prevent rust. Just make sure you clean that stuff out prior to using the gun.

Yes it is fine. Breakfree CLP had large particles of teflon for years and it has been used on more guns than all other products combined and it never caused a problem.

A gun barrel should be free of oil residue before firing.

I just started using TW25B, its got micro particles of Teflon, its being used by the military, in their FAs and jet gatling guns in the F15s,Warthogs,etc.It recommends cleaning/lubing FA bores with it. Claims to increase bullet velocity, decrease 'flyers' on the target and provide metal corrosion protection. Havn't shot my pistols with it yet.Its gotten good reviews from other FA forums.
thanks
Joe

Recently shot my M4 & 1911s oiled with TW25B.Got nice groupings in both my weapons. No jams.So far i've been happy with it.It was easy to clean also.
Joe

Teflon is OK in a bore. There will be plenty of people tell you that it will cause barrel damage because it's a solid, etc, etc...
I guess these people never look in their barrels to see how much debris is left over from firing just one shot... Most teflon used in lubricants is very small. 1 micron or smaller.

I don't really think you gain much by teflon in a barrel either.

Oil in the barrel is not recommended.

I have seen it first hand. The oil can and will reach it's flash point.

I personally have seen and had semi autos fail to return to battery due to the feed ramp getting gummed up with burnt oil residue.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
Oil in the barrel is not recommended.

I have seen it first hand. The oil can and will reach it's flash point.

I personally have seen and had semi autos fail to return to battery due to the feed ramp getting gummed up with burnt oil residue.

Let me guess, it was an AR-15?

Oil(or grease) in the barrel for storage is good.

To much oil or any grease in the barrel when shooting is bad. Most of us should be able to handle that.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

No, many 1911's, and my 92FS.

Originally Posted By: Mr_Joe
Oil(or grease) in the barrel for storage is good.

To much oil or any grease in the barrel when shooting is bad. Most of us should be able to handle that.

I agree. For storage, it's good.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

No, many 1911's

Not the slightest bit of surprise there. It's like trying to slide pumpkins up onto a dock using a nearly vertical loading ramp.

Feed ramp fouling causing feeding problems? Never seen it. And I run my guns wet with lead, semiwadcutter reloads with dirty, fast powder.

The brass casing is MUCH harder than powder debris. It always cuts a channel through the gunk.

Originally Posted By: Slick17601
Be very careful here. Too much oil or grease in the bore can cause damage upon firing.

Explain. Hydraulics?

There was a test were they fired a 1911 under water and nothing happened. The shell ejected and a new round was loaded. I don't know what would happen in a rifle.

Last edited:
If you guys are talking about stuffing grease into a barrel and creating some impacted obstruction, then yeah.... I can see that being bad. If you are talking about the "normal" cleaning and oiling of a firearm being some highly measured and critically exact operation.. I am a little confused on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back