Techron With GDI Engines Intake Vale Cleaning ?

In most cases Techron gas additive doesn't do much for cleaning GDI engine intake valves because the mixture never reaches the Intake Valves ... *Now I read where just for an instant Hyundai / Kia GDI engines provide a brief "squirt" of gas to the intake vales of their GDI engines at start up so there is a chance some Intake Valve Cleaning cleaning may now be going on ?

I've read that some automakers add an additional pulse of fuel while delaying the closing of the intake port as away to get some fuel mist to wash over the immediate back side of the valves.

Theoretically, fuel could come in contact with the intake valve if the engine is in Atkinson or Miller cycle operation.

The intake valve in these engines is left open longer than Otto cycle to improve efficiency. Less compression stroke, longer expansion. It would also require fuel to be injected early in the compression stroke so vapor could exit the combustion chamber. The charge in a DI engine is not homogeneous so that's an obstacle

Theoretically!

Given typical intake lobe centerlines on any particular engine cam phasing,

There would be absolutely no technical barrier to add a "cleaning cycle" to inject fuel when the valves is fully open.

But you would loose the D.I. benefit of Late -cycle injection and charge cooling and densification.

and - there is a high velocity intake charge washing over the valve.

This may ;lead to hard knock if done under load when fully warmed.

I Would say that a GDI 2000+ psi is a pretty healthy "power washer", but surely not enough volume of fuel is
injected to have high energy droplet impingement on the valve head. I will wet it if for a few milliseconds.

- Ken

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
In most cases Techron gas additive doesn't do much for cleaning GDI engine intake valves because the mixture never reaches the Intake Valves ... *Now I read where just for an instant Hyundai / Kia GDI engines provide a brief "squirt" of gas to the intake vales of their GDI engines at start up so there is a chance some Intake Valve Cleaning cleaning may now be going on ?

Honda placed a multi pattern injector behind the intake valve to do just that.

UD

I only have my Jetta as a lease vehicle for two years, so its back to VW ( if they are still in business in the US)

in 7 months. I would guess the turbo helps in minimising intake reversion and valve coking due to the positive pressure in the valve bowl when the the intake is on the opening ramp at say 10 degrees BTDC

Ive had injectors get weird twice on late model gm truck. I'm hoping regular usage of PEA helps the injectors stay clean as the impact on performance is yuuuge in caparison to valve deposits. For valve deposits i invested in a good catch can. I have heard that ford avoids the problem with phasing and fuel reversion onto the open valves. ...sounds like balancing a stack of dominoes to the moon though.

There are several IVD cleaners on the market that work by introducing them into a vacuum port or directly into the intake while keeping the
RPM's up (but not over 3000RPM)...CRC, STP, Berryman etc....make them. I'm wondering if using Regane or Techron (or anything with PEA)
would work by directly misting it into the intake while the engine is running (a low dose mist to avoid hydrolock). It would be cheaper than
the kits. Thoughts?

Originally Posted by pbm
There are several IVD cleaners on the market that work by introducing them into a vacuum port or directly into the intake while keeping the
RPM's up (but not over 3000RPM)...CRC, STP, Berryman etc....make them. I'm wondering if using Regane or Techron (or anything with PEA)
would work by directly misting it into the intake while the engine is running (a low dose mist to avoid hydrolock). It would be cheaper than
the kits. Thoughts?

Try it and let us know the results.

The pea would only wash off the valves if it as more are doing a 2nd traditional (port) injection system. This allows the fuel to go over the valves and clean them as it had before di. Let it go long enough and some di can require specialized blasting to clean the carbon off using walnut or softer alternative to sand.

Back