Techron, Top Tier, Oil Changes

j45

Chevron Techron - I have not paid attention to adding Techron only prior to an oil change.

2016.5 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring
purchased Oct 2016 currently about 36,000 miles
most driving is more or less local with a trip on the highway for about 20 miles each way every week to two weeks Car only occasionally has done longer trips such as to NJ or Cape Cod from CT currently driving about 5000 miles a year
Oil has been Castrol synthetic then dealer switched to Mazda synthetic in future wont be returning to dealer
I change oil almost once a year, as I feel that less is overkill and its full synthetic. (live in North Central CT)
I only use CITGO gas which is Top Tier

I have used a bottle of Techcron maybe twice in the cars life. (on a mostly empty tank) - I want to continue use of it but I don't want to do too much - overkill

I am considering not using a top tier gas, but even if I do, could I just dollop a few ounces every gas fill, for every fill? Or go maybe a few months in between. And yes. do I NEED to get the oil change after I use the tank of Techron?

(only reason I am considering discontinuing CITGO Top Tier is for political reasons. CITGO is owned by Venezuelan Govt. Thats the only Top Tier gas in my immediate neighborhood)

Someone please advise on usage of Techron with my current situation(Top Tier gas) and maybe if I start using a non Top Tier gas. and of course the skinny on the oil change.

Here's my opinions:

1. I do not change oil after using a fuel additive
2. If i have access to top tier fuel i will always use it, completely irrelevant to using a fuel additive.
3. I always use the full bottle on a fresh tank and run it down to below 1/8 tank.
Thanks for this.
I have 15 gal tank Do you use the smaller bottle or the one for 20 gal?
and how often do you use the additive?

Thanks for this.
I have 15 gal tank Do you use the smaller bottle or the one for 20 gal?
and how often do you use the additive?
I use the whole bottle. Using a splash in a tank of gas is pretty diluted, I wouldn't. I use techron a tank before an oil change. I change oil after the techron treated tank is used up.

Here is a dosing chart per chevron. But the bottles are made to be used in 12 gallon and up tanks. They make larger bottles for larger tanks. They make a 12 gallon tank bottle, a 20 gallon tank bottle, and a 24 gallon tank bottle.

Keep using top tier gas. The key benefit is prevention of deposits. Preventing them is way better than trying to remove them later which may or may not be possible. With TT gas being the same price as non TT or within pennies - just not worth it and if you run non TT gas but add the additive - you will be paying more per gallon so not worth it.

It is safe to overdose so get the 20gal bottle for your 15 gal tank vs the 12 gal bottle for it.

You can run fuel cleaners at any time and it is not required to change oil immediately after. Whatever way you decide is fine, however. It is not mentioned on the bottle the need to....

It is safe to overdose so get the 20gal bottle for your 15 gal tank vs the 12 gal bottle for it.

You can run fuel cleaners at any time and it is not required to change oil immediately after. Whatever way you decide is fine, however. It is not mentioned on the bottle the need to....
Yea you don't have to change oil after. I just time mine so that when there is an up coming oci, i treat the tank. I use a tank with a bottle of berryman b-12, then a tank with a bottle of techron, then when that tank is done, change the oil. But you don't have to, or they would direct you to on the bottle.

I used to be a fan of Techron and Gumouts Regane since they both contain P.E.A. (polyetheramine) but I have since stopped. The more I looked, the more I saw proof of minimal effects on deposits. They might make a slight difference, maybe, but I see no tangible results from using them. Do your own research and draw your conclusion. I do believe continual use of TT fuels is the best strategy.

Keep up with the top-tier gas. If Citgo is only what's available close-by, use it.
Keep up with Techron Fuel Concentrate and you can use it right after an oil change. 20 ounces for a 15 gallon tank is really the right dosage for routine maintenance, that's if you want better results and don't we all?

The last sale I found for Techron was 12oz. I used two bottles 24oz for my 18 gallon tank. I've done that numerous times over the decades.

What I prefer is the slow clean method. I won't put-in two bottles 24oz of Techron - then jump on a freeway and travel 350 miles roundtrip that day. I'd rather use the Techron traveling around - over the course of a week or two. Works better that way. That gives it more time to work and slowly dissolve any gunk.

Last edited:
So a respected Ferrari tech I know told me he had a customer that was a retired Chevron research chemist. He told him he would strongly recommend only using Techron fuel system cleaner before an oil change, as it would contaminate the oil in some way. How or why I cannot recall from the conversation...but he decided to heed the warning. I try to follow that recommendation, but don't reliably do so.

Reactions: j45
Chevron Techron - I have not paid attention to adding Techron only prior to an oil change.

most driving is more or less local with a trip on the highway for about 20 miles each way every week to two weeks Car only occasionally has done longer trips such as to NJ or Cape Cod from CT currently driving about 5000 miles a year
Oil has been Castrol synthetic then dealer switched to Mazda synthetic in future wont be returning to dealer
I change oil almost once a year, as I feel that less is overkill and its full synthetic. (live in North Central CT)

I have used a bottle of Techcron maybe twice in the cars life. (on a mostly empty tank) - I want to continue use of it but I don't want to do too much - overkill

I am considering not using a top tier gas, but even if I do, could I just dollop a few ounces every gas fill, for every fill? Or go maybe a few months in between. And yes. do I NEED to get the oil change after I use the tank of Techron?

(only reason I am considering discontinuing CITGO Top Tier is for political reasons. CITGO is owned by Venezuelan Govt. Thats the only Top Tier gas in my immediate neighborhood)

Someone please advise on usage of Techron with my current situation(Top Tier gas) and maybe if I start using a non Top Tier gas. and of course the skinny on the oil change.
If you are only driving 5k per year, I would not add Techron more than once per year. More than that is probably a waste of money.

Last edited:

My suggestion : Techron bought in the store is best used a full bottle every 3,000 to 5,000 miles IF you do not use Top Tier gas . If you use non - top tier gas (i.e Safeway , Kroger , Fred Meyer) then buy a bottle of Redline S-1 fuel system cleaner and dose with 2 oz. at each fill up for maintenance cleaning . You could also choose to use a bottle of Techon in the complete last tank of gas before an oil change.

I never buy top tier gas . A bottle of Techron one or twice a year . My vehicles run fine . It's worked for me for 50 years . No point changing now .

I never buy top tier gas . A bottle of Techron one or twice a year . My vehicles run fine . It's worked for me for 50 years . No point changing now .

It would be cheaper for you to just use TT gas all the time instead of paying extra for Techron. And this way you would always have a better cleaning fuel in there. I only use TT fuel in both of my cars and never bother with any fuel additives.

It would be cheaper for you to just use TT gas all the time instead of paying extra for Techron. And this way you would always have a better cleaning fuel in there. I only use TT fuel in both of my cars and never bother with any fuel additives.
Agreed. Why let potential buildup progress to the point to need a strong(er) treatment than simply running Top Tier all the time? Avoid the buildup. What worked in the good-old-days may not suffice for today's much more finicky high pressure fuel pumps, etc.

Techron additive is great. I always buy a bunch when AutoZone has a BOGO deal. Also the shelf life of Techron is 8 years so I'm not worried storing it in the shelf for a long time.

Agreed. Why let potential buildup progress to the point to need a strong(er) treatment than simply running Top Tier all the time? Avoid the buildup. What worked in the good-old-days may not suffice for today's much more finicky high pressure fuel pumps, etc.
What worked in the good old days is still working for me today with my " finicky high pressure fuel pumps " . :LOL: . I've never experienced this " buildup " that some of you obsess over . Techron at two for $12.00 is just for insurance .

Back