Tech data for Syntec 5W-40 and BMW Synthetic 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fowvay:

The decal on the engine also has a phone number which will give you the list of BMW approved oils.

I'm switching to M1 in both the E46 and E38.

Double checked with the mechanics (and they are not oil experts like these gents here) and they said "No problem"

quote:

Originally posted by Asmodeus:

The decal on the engine also has a phone number which will give you the list of BMW approved oils.

I'm switching to M1 in both the E46 and E38.

I would still stick to ACEA A3/B3 oil and neither M1 5W-30 nor M1 10W-30 meet these specs so choose carefully or shorten your intervals. I'm sure you'll get good results with 0W-40 you plan to use.

[ August 06, 2003, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: F1Crazy ]

I e-mailed BMW in June 2002 and here's what they wrote:
quote:

Dear Mr. ______________,

I am with BMW of North America, LLC and your Owners' Circle inquiry has been forwarded to me for a response. BMW's approved oils used to top off are: Castrol Synthetic, Mobil 1 Synthetic, and Valvoline High Performance Synthetic with a weight of SAE 5W-30. Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.

Thank you,

Micah Nichols
Customer Relations
800-831-1117

In that e-mail it says "oils approved for top off"; in the maintenance booklet for the '03 330xi it approves M1 5W-30 for an oil service (oil change). I believe the one for the '00 528i says that too. I wonder how M1 5W-30 would perform versus M1 0W-40 (the "European Car Formula" with A3 & BMW LL spec).

-

F1Crazy:

Never said anything about 5W30 or 10W30
smile.gif

0W40 on the E46 and 15W50 on the E38 (summer time) winter time it's back to Castrol 0W30 (German) on the E46 and 5W50 on the e38.

And yes, I am running on short intervals 5000 Km between each oil change, tire rotation and front control arm lubrification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back