Taxis; Police/Fire/Ambulence, PU & delivery cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know what is used to clean deposits in such vehicles?
OK, maybe fire dept is different since they are way more likely to be Diesel, but what about taxis that sit with prolonged idling? Ditto with police cars. An ambulence can arrive and then sit there 1/2 hour. How do they clean up the deposits? Frankly I find it hard to believe they or their mechanics have heard of Neutra, FP, PI, Redline, SeaFoam, or any of the others.
I was reminded to ask since a neighbour had a loss and the limo sat in their driveway quite some time. Another limo on another unrelated day, looked really nice, until the light turned green and what came out of the tailpipe made me quickly roll up the window.
Thanks!
Rob-the-oil-nut

I work for a large county's law enforcement agency and can tell you first hand that they (we) don't do anything special. We have over 400 Crown Vics that see all sorts of extreme duty, idling, stop and go, high speed
smile.gif
, and nothing other than OCIs at 5K.

I am doing a very small scale experiment with Lube Control and Fuel Power in 2 vehicles assigned to me. One is an 02 Crown Vic cruiser used everyday for routine patrol with occasional highway usage. It had alittle over 12K when I started the LC/FP. The other is a new Chevy 2500 delivery van that sees short trip/urban driving daily, 750 miles when the clock started on this one.

We'll see what happens but I doubt the county will do anything more than the routine oil/filter changes unless something dramatic occurs.

I work for a small commercial ambulance service that runs Ford diesel ambulances and Ford gas wheelchair vans. We also run a few Chevy/GMC Tahoes to assist local Volunteer ambulances. These Tahoes see many cold starts with immediate high rpms. Then they idle for a while.

We run Exxon XD-3 15w40 in the diesels and mobil drive clean in the gas engines. We change the oil & filter every 3000 miles without any additives or cleaning agents. No problems yet with over 200,000 miles on some vehicles.

BTW, I forgot to add, that limo that you saw may have been a Lincoln with the Ford 4.6l engine. These engines (Romeo - found mostly in the cars & not the trucks) were known for bad bad valve seals, therefore explaining the smoke that you saw coming from the tailpipe.

I have two former law enforcement Caprices (9C1)- both had 6000 mile oil change intervals. Neither looked real bad when I changed the intake manifold gaskets, but I decided to try Auto RX on one of them. Probably will do Auto RX on the other after UOA that is now on the way to Blackstone - come on USPS: it has been over a week already.
I see posts from other 9C1 owners on other boards all the time, but they seem to have few oil contamination or sludge issues. Lots of high mileage, well abused 9C1s out there running strong.
Terry

quote:

9C1, I have two former law enforcement Caprices (9C1)- both had 6000 mile oil change

I have a 9C1 Caprice myself, currently at 232,000 miles. Bought it with 87k miles and records showed 5k oil changes. Started using synthetic when I bought it and oil consumption/leakage was about 1/2 a qt at 8k miles. It did increase to about a qt per 5k miles last year. Did 2 treatments of autorx and it has used less then 8 ounces of oil in the last 8,500 miles. Will be changing and testing oil at 10k shortly.

This was a small town car so had lots of city driving and idling. Appears its early hard life did not seem to hurt the engine any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back