Target Canada vs Walmart Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: salv
Ha! It seems like half of Quebec is at our Target every weekend. They park their RV's at Walmart and drive over to Target. I think they spend everything they save shopping here just to travel here.

I know the sales taxes up in Quebec are VERY high and there is also a national VAT as well, correct?

I'm pretty sure that Target is owned by a French parent company.

Yeah when those folks travel back over the border I'm pretty sure they have a limit on what they can take back duty free. After that you pay pretty dearly in import duties.

If Canadian customers wish to do their services or repairs at our shop, I will mail their invoices to them. If they wish to do their seasonal tire swaps with me, I will store their tires. We'll always help them dodge their limits and the additional duties that come with making their purchases here in the US.
The more they save here, the more they spend here. I have no problem helping our economy at the expense of the Canadian economy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Between you and I Canadian tire is jealous. Hehehe.

You have PU, and CT doesn't.
wink.gif

@antiqueshell: Our GST isn't that high, and it's not administered the same way as European VATs are. It's hardly an excuse for retailers to gouge us the way they do. Besides, it's a visible tax, not included in the price. WM's "everyday low price" on M1 in Canada is around $50 for a 4.4 L jug, before tax. That wouldn't fly down south.

And salv is right, there are plenty of people who get repairs done down south if they're close enough to facilities. For me, it might not be worth it, with the closest major centre being perhaps Minot. But, for many others, it's a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back