Talk Some Sense into an Oil Thickie?

All I can tell ya is when I replaced M1 AFE 0w-20 with PUP 0w-20 the increased Density of the PUP was very noticeable. It seemed so much "thicker" that I may switch to PP 0w-20 for winter for easier starting. I don't wanna go thicker than the the PUP 0w-20 at this time. Just my experience with these 2 oils in my 17 Camry 2.5. YMMV

That's strange because according to past datasheets, Pennzoil tends to target their viscosities towards the lower end of each range, at least that was the case a year or two ago.

But to be perfectly honest I haven't looked closely at their 0w-20 offering. But I did look across their product range enough to feel like that was a purposeful design decision their part and not mere happenstance.

I stand corrected: Here's some data I found:

cSt viscosity at. 104F................212F.............at 302F
Straight 30...........??.....................10.....................3
0W-20..................47 ....................8.8................2.5
10W-30.................62 ...................10.....................3
0W-30..................57 ....................10.....................3
5W-30..................59.....................10.....................3
10W-30................62.....................10....................3
0W-40..................85.....................15...................3.75
5W-50.................120...................20....................4
All per SAE J300 ... they wouldn't have the multi-viscosity ratings they have if they didn't rate per J300.

At 100C, viscosity has to be thick to thin: 50 > 40 > 30 > 20. And in most cases, the HTHS viscosity follows the same ranking.

All I can tell ya is when I replaced M1 AFE 0w-20 with PUP 0w-20 the increased Density of the PUP was very noticeable. It seemed so much "thicker" that I may switch to PP 0w-20 for winter for easier starting. I don't wanna go thicker than the the PUP 0w-20 at this time. Just my experience with these 2 oils in my 17 Camry 2.5. YMMV
Uhhh, M1 AFE 0W-20 has a density of 0.839, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum also has a density of 0.839.

Uhhh, sorry, The PUP has a greater Kinematic viscosity of 46.3 @ 40C than the AFE at 45.97 data from the last product data sheets I saw. The point is, PUP runs 'thicker" in my car vs. the AFE.

Uhhh, sorry, The PUP has a greater Kinematic viscosity of 46.3 @ 40C than the AFE at 45.97 data from the last product data sheets I saw. The point is, PUP runs 'thicker" in my car vs. the AFE.
I'm sorry, but there isn't a snowball's chance that you can feel the difference between 46.3cSt and 45.97cSt, that's within the margin of error for the measuring equipment basically. This is less than half a cSt, it is noise.

I'm sorry, but there isn't a snowball's chance that you can feel the difference between 46.3cSt and 45.97cSt, that's within the margin of error for the measuring equipment basically. This is less than half a cSt, it is noise.

Only one way to find out.....FROZEN OIL LUGE! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I'm sorry, but there isn't a snowball's chance that you know what I feel when I start my engines.

Last edited:
What can I say? I'm sorry, you can't notice a difference in running different oils in your cars.
Blind test/Pepsi Challenge - I'd wager you wouldn't have a repeatable result with a variation in viscosity between 2 oils like you are talking about here. Could just keep the oil the same and tell you it was changed to the one you think is smoother and you'd say "this one is smoother".

Blind test/Pepsi Challenge - I'd wager you wouldn't have a repeatable result with a variation in viscosity between 2 oils like you are talking about here. Could just keep the oil the same and tell you it was changed to the one you think is smoother and you'd say "this one is smoother".
Wager? How much ya got?

Last edited:
2023 Acura Integra, basically Acura's version of the Civic Si. I've got 900 miles on it and am thinking of doing the first oil change this weekend. I just can't wrap my mind around using 0W-20 in a turbocharged engine that will see a lot of high revs.

As of right now I'm planning to find a fully synthetic SP rated 0W-30, with the highest HTHS and lowest NOACK numbers I can find. Am I crazy?

No! Not crazy, thats my professional message board random guy poster opinion. what you are about to experience is the indescribable feeling of pure rebellion as you stare into the abyss of a 0w-20 oil cap an pour 5w-30 Full Synthetic, low ash, high ht/hs texas tea in that turbocharged monster from japan.

My suggestion: https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/for-personal-vehicles/our-products/products/mobil-1-esp-5w-30/

Good luck finding a 5 qt jug. I don't think they sell it by the jug right now. Its pretty rare and out of stock. Amazon will sell you a 6 qt case for about $12/qt.

Second best choice is to drive to every walmart in your county and get a 5 qt jug of:

The new "triple action" bottle is now dexos1 gen3, which lowers the ash by a tick. I would be a little jeolous cuz i just poured the dexos1 gen2 version in my '21 Rav.... But it made me feel like such an independent masculine man dumping that M1 5w-30 EP into a hole labeled 0w-16 GF-6b. Just like you bro i like em THICK!

For the filter, I'd just go with a honda oem or the cheapest supertech... ST are pretty good . If you want to go high efficiency look into a purolator pure one. I KNOW you won't go 20k OCI so you don't need the BOSS.

Let us all know where this adventure takes you!

Lol. I'm just reporting my actual observations re the 2 oils I ran. Nothing more. Did not intend to confuse you.

That's strange because according to past datasheets, Pennzoil tends to target their viscosities towards the lower end of each range, at least that was the case a year or two ago.

But to be perfectly honest I haven't looked closely at their 0w-20 offering. But I did look across their product range enough to feel like that was a purposeful design decision their part and not mere happenstance.
Check the PUP 0w-20 data sheets vs. 3 random 0w-20 data sheets and see what you find.

Exactly, they are far too close in viscosity for that to be a factor.

.00You will not find much difference.
Just referring to the very informative post by Himemsys re 0w-20 oils, on this site, the KV100 can range from 8.80 down to 7.89. That's a big difference 2 me. I prefer the thicker 8.8 to the thinner 7.89, don't you?

Just referring to the very informative post by Himemsys re 0w-20 oils, on this site, the KV100 can range from 8.80 down to 7.89. That's a big difference 2 me. I prefer the thicker 8.8 to the thinner 7.89, don't you?

No.

Back