Tale of Walmart batteries

3 years ago I bought a WM battery for my Sienna because it was competitive with what my mechanic was charging, plus instead of an 18 month warranty, they offered 36 months free replacement, and another 24 prorate (they since have just shortened the warranty on this battery, to 3 years free replacement only). Just shy of 36 months, I brought mine in for what I thought would be a recharge. Instead, they told me that the charge was so low they would replace it for free. I was thrilled that they stood behind their warranty like that--had they just shoved a printout in my face with a statement that they charged it up I would never have known the difference.

Anyways, it took me about 4 hours. While I was waiting, I decided that I no longer wanted to wait this long for batteries, so unless I can get a free replacement or close to it on this current one from WM, I'll probably just go with AAA (who will replace batteries in your driveway) from here on out.

Obviously, with this thread, YMMV at WM. I was more than happy to get a new one under warranty, I have to say.

Even if that’s the case, if one needs to be replaced, and there’s none anywhere, how does that serve anyone? The logic with Walmart batteries is that there are Walmart stores everywhere. But no stock makes them all worthless. Auto parts and store managers who can’t order an item to fulfill a warranty obligation are doubly worthless.

Accept that there are two factors.

1) Covid has disrupted supply of many things

2) Lowest priced sellers of a commodity tend to run out first when there's a shortage. Nothing new about that.

WM has them back in stock now, though it seems a pretty high price at $130 (Everstart Maxx) for the small size and CCA rating. I would look into what larger, higher value size might (or might not) shoehorn into the available space.

I would look into what larger, higher value size might (or might not) shoehorn into the available space.
Don't recall what vehicle he has (only recall it's a hybrid, maybe a Fit ??) but the desire to upgrade the typical 51R battery to a 24 or 34 is fairly common but too involved (for many). There's room for the larger battery but you have to replace the metal tray, plastic shroud (or get rid of it) and the hold-down bracket. Even then, I think in some models, the battery leads aren't quite long enough.

The 51R upsize is the group 35 battery and then the even larger group 24F.
Except that mine is a 51, and the hybrid has less space.

6A94EC76-706C-4E45-A291-8B345CB985A5.jpeg
31B01C15-8CAF-47E8-BF76-B3EA44DFB6E3.jpeg
746B53BB-E055-4CEC-AE91-EA9D51C9EBF1.jpeg
5A619650-283A-4537-8B5F-ABD88F987A95.jpeg

I know ^^^^^^^^^

51 and 51R are opposite.

Was responding to the post above mine.

Smaller 51R = larger 35 or 24F

So far Walmart has been treating me well in battery dept.

My trip to Pepboys aren't so. They shutdown their retail recently so they cannot lookup my warranty and I have to go home to look up the receipt with customer service to get it, despite them selling me a 4 year warranty Bosch Platinum AGM that died 3.5 year in. Lots of hoop to jump through with this one.

Back