Tale of Walmart batteries

This reminds me of my SIL who likes to declare I DON'T GO NEAR A WALMART, EVER! Later, it turns out she buys something and it slips out she got it from...drum roll...yes, Walmart.

He offered to make you whole, but you declined. Not sure what more you expected.

Walmart is not for you. Go to a real car parts store.

There’s quite a difference between not liking the walmart shopping experience, dealing with hassles and poor inventory control, and practices, and what you’re speaking of.

I certainly do try to avoid shopping at Walmart, but sometimes it’s a good bet. I was a believer in the fallacy that buying batteries at Walmart meant easy warranty service at thousands of locations around the country.

As I’m sure you know, it’s pretty difficult to operate these days without touching a good number of major corporations.

Their warranty was to replace the battery. Their duty is to have the battery in stock to replace it upon certified need/demand. The offer of a refund was only after asking them many times to get a battery ordered or found, and them being unable. Refunding doesn’t really make me whole because I need a battery, not the cash. Most of the way-mart stores wouldn’t offer that under any “policy”, in fact, much the opposite.

Poor practices are poor practices no matter how you look at it. More importantly, the point of this thread was to highlight the fallacy of the concept that because there are wall mart stores everywhere, that if a battery goes bad, you’re set. Much the opposite - my experiences show just how much they are unwilling to help, and how little most of them care.

Last edited:
eBay should have 51R AGM batteries for about $150 shipped. Haven’t bought one in a while, but I think WM is about $120 w/ the core.

I use this size in one of my garden tractors. I’m going this route next time.
My car doesn’t take a 51R, it takes a 51.
In my area, a WM group 51 (in stock) is $130, with a 3 year warranty.

Rural King has a group 51 (in stock) for almost half the price ($70), with almost twice the warranty (5 years).

There's something seriously broken with the prices being charged for batteries, at most of these retailers. They're trying to make $150 as "normal".

I have 3 vehicles out in the garage, with 3 Rural King batteries in them. Yeah, they all appear to be from Exide. Last time I checked, an item with nearly twice the warranty, for nearly half the price, still meant something to me.

The RK Exide battery in my Silverado (group 34/78) was installed 1/3/2017. Still under the hood.
I do wish RK was in my area. Sounds like they have some deals.

Hybrids are hard on 12 volt batteries because they don't have an alternator charging the 12 volt system. The generator/Converter in-between the trans and the motor charges the EV battery pack and then there is a converter that converts the 144 volt charging system down to 12 volt charging for the "Standby" battery. If your motor ever starts form your 12 volt battery that means your EV battery is very under charged and probably Toast.

As a maintenance its a very good idea to charge the 12 volt battery every couple weeks.

My 06 Accord Hybrid battery is shut off and the generator only charges the 12 volt battery above 1500 RPM's
Agreed. I believe the owners manual also recommends against charging it. I suspect they don’t want the diodes in the dc/dc to get fried.

Are Walmart batteries made to a different specification than the other batteries made by Johnson Controls for other retailers? Assuming they are still made by JC.
simple answer Yes. The NC rep, told me that the advance spec was much better than wally world. Heavier plates etc. . That being stated Wally world is all over Saint charles and st. louis, but they should be JC rephave no visibility to another store inventory

simple answer Yes. The NC rep, told me that the advance spec was much better than wally world. Heavier plates etc. . That being stated Wally world is all over Saint charles and st. louis, but they should be JC rephave no visibility to another store inventory
Maybe that’s the case, but I’m not so sure that it’s universal. Battery vendors already have three of more variants for sale.

More likely the alignment of different levels of battery leaves something out on the upper or lower end, but they’re all about the same once you have the alignment.

Their duty is to have the battery in stock
You're still going on about this ? In your case, it's bad luck or bad timing, so too bad. It's not their "duty" to keep every battery size in stock, every day, 24 hours a day, in case of a warranty return. It's not like this is a conspiracy against you that they didn't have one available for you. They did the next best thing, refund your money. You bought a Walmart battery for more than just "convenience", you also bought it because their prices are 25% + less expensive.

simple answer Yes. The NC rep, told me that the advance spec was much better than wally world. Heavier plates etc
People here have compared the equivalent-sized batteries from various auto parts stores, Walmart, and the manufacturer's website (East Penn, for example) and found nothing to support this. Heavier plates, for instance, would mean heavier overall weight and that's just not the case. There were cases where a WM battery spec'd a lower CCA but that could be explained by WM sells JC batteries in some locations vs East Penn in others and on WM's website, they list the lower CCA but what some people get in a store can be a higher CCA. You can't sell "lower" than what you advertise but no one will complain if they get higher than advertised.

You're still going on about this ? In your case, it's bad luck or bad timing, so too bad. It's not their "duty" to keep every battery size in stock, every day, 24 hours a day, in case of a warranty return. It's not like this is a conspiracy against you that they didn't have one available for you. They did the next best thing, refund your money. You bought a Walmart battery for more than just "convenience", you also bought it because their prices are 25% + less expensive.

Going on? I’m not allowed to discuss my experience with something that so many plaster as the main reason to buy a battery at WM - because there’s a store everywhere so warranty replacement is straightforward?!?

You think you somehow have the right to question why I’d keep discussing it?

The Walmart battery isn’t 25% less expensive, at least for the group 51. I can get one at Napa for $139, and it’s $129 at WM.

Their warranty is not to give a refund. This was an option offered only by one store, after asking multiple managers what the next steps would be. Ive gone to four area stores that claimed to have stock (three of the four didn’t), and also talked to managers at two others.

The standard response was “sorry, can’t help you”. The standard excuse was that they can’t order batteries, so it’s the luck of the draw when a store might get another battery.

One... one.... store offered to refund purchase price when I asked how I’m supposed to make my car useable with their battery that has an active warranty. One. After I explained my dissatisfaction that nobody owned up to the fact that my battery has an active warranty.

But that approach isn’t the terms of the warranty. The terms of the warranty was a replacement. Thus the expectation is that they would have a replacement, or at least would do the work to find a replacement from other inventory, or at least arrange to order the item so it could be delivered. If any store told me that they didn’t have it, but they could order it and it would come in ____ amount of time, ok.

Imagine if it was my only car, not functional because of the battery.

Heck, imagine if it was your car, and your car’s functionality was hinging on availability of one part, and nobody was willing to order the part, find the part, or do anything to make the car operational. Don’t you think you would be the slightest bit annoyed?

And again, this thread is to highlight the wild goose chase, apathy, and lack of support after the sale that Walmart provides. If you don’t care then you dont have to read it. Very simple.

Last edited:
To close the story, I did find one battery today.

I had been watching the Walmart app... the store I bought the battery from originally all of a sudden claimed to have two. I was told not to believe the website if it says they have one. The stock system is not sufficiently accurate. But if there is more than one listed, it’s likely ok.

Went to the store early, before Memorial Day remembrances. Checked in to the front desk, was sent back to grab one, bare shelves. Stock system indicating two in stock was wrong. Ugh.

Fast forward to this PM, one other store of the many around claimed to have four. This is a store with a tires and oil change area, which most around do not have. Got there around 6pm.

Was told by customer service that they couldn’t process the battery because they had to test it, and the auto service department wasn’t open.

I don’t recall any terms that said that warranties were only processed in the hours thst the auto service center was open. And, none of the other stores around have them. These stores would swap batteries no question without test when brought in. In fact, in all the stores without an auto center, the cs desk was extremely friendly and simply asked me to go grab the replacement.

Manager couldn’t answer why there was a different standard in their store than all the other stores in the area. I asked who else could run the test since I couldn’t be there during auto service hours, and they said they had no trained staff.

Being fed up, I indicated that another store offered a refund since they couldnt honor the warranty. This store told me that they couldn’t (so as noted elsewhere a goodwill refund is NOT standard policy), and they couldn’t help me, and that my only option was to come back when the auto center was open. I finally talked to another manager, who said they would swap the battery if they had another in stock, even though that specific store’s policy was to test all batteries.

So now I have a 6/21 dated replacement group 51 battery.

Morals of the story:
1) Walmart being everywhere is not a guarantee of warranty success
2) Walmart managers are not all empowered to make customer service decisions
3) There are different standards implemented in different stores relative to the warranting of batteries

Caveat Emptor... For common sizes like 24, 75, 78, 65, etc. they are probably a decent bet. Ive used their batteries in our odyssey, and in my Ram, because of the concept that they are priced well, and you can buy a new one, or swap one out, at any walmart, any time.... find a Walmart open 24 hours? Go swap it at 2am in a road trip.

The reality isn’t quite as great. They may not process a replacement any time, at least without significant pushback. They may not have what you need, and if they don’t, likely don’t care. I started looking for a replacement on May 17th. Stock systems sent me on multiple wild goose chases. Finally I have one on May 31st. Imagine if I was truly reliant on the car I needed that battery for.

Since WM now sells East Penn batteries, it’s a good chance to get them. But for more oddball batteries, potentially even batteries like the group 49/H8 and others, certainly the 51 and others, East penn batteries from Napa, which seem to be only $10 more, are a better bet, IMO...

Last edited:

Agreed. I believe the owners manual also recommends against charging it. I suspect they don’t want the diodes in the dc/dc to get fried.
I meant 51. This is the battery, but looks to have gone up.

Attachments

• 444116B9-B4DA-4523-9883-687166951017.jpg
    444116B9-B4DA-4523-9883-687166951017.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 8
You dont want to hear the story of the time it took four hours to get two tires at WM.
I know I have more than four hours into this stupid battery, going to different stores based upon a poor stock system. :(

I can only imagine. The one time we tried to get tires at WM they said it would be four hours. We never went back.

You dont want to hear the story of the time it took four hours to get two tires at WM.
I stopped at the nearby Walmart to have a tire patched once. They told me it could take "all day" and suggested I leave my car there. I do know most of their locations are severely understaffed.

~3 years ago Walmart didn't have an H6 in stock and other sizes were sold out too.
~2 years ago Walmart didn't have a G59. My new truck requires a G59 and I was 'just looking'. The shelves were essentially bare.
4 months later, after my G58 test showed fail, that Walmart had shelves full of new batteries. (Yes, my truck came with an undersized battery)
I'd like to think I put it together correctly. (meaning, I doped out where Walmart lands on the service / supply / quality spectrum).
You always gotta remember where you are.

Walmart in Old Bridge on Rt18 has one Group 51 battery built 6/21 in stock. I seen it myself at around 3PM today.
You allways can check inventory on WM website or purchase online and pick up in store.

Going on? I’m not allowed to discuss my experience with something that so many plaster as the main reason to buy a battery at WM - because there’s a store everywhere so warranty replacement is straightforward?!?

You think you somehow have the right to question why I’d keep discussing it?

The Walmart battery isn’t 25% less expensive, at least for the group 51. I can get one at Napa for $139, and it’s $129 at WM.

Their warranty is not to give a refund. This was an option offered only by one store, after asking multiple managers what the next steps would be. Ive gone to four area stores that claimed to have stock (three of the four didn’t), and also talked to managers at two others.

The standard response was “sorry, can’t help you”. The standard excuse was that they can’t order batteries, so it’s the luck of the draw when a store might get another battery.

One... one.... store offered to refund purchase price when I asked how I’m supposed to make my car useable with their battery that has an active warranty. One. After I explained my dissatisfaction that nobody owned up to the fact that my battery has an active warranty.

But that approach isn’t the terms of the warranty. The terms of the warranty was a replacement. Thus the expectation is that they would have a replacement, or at least would do the work to find a replacement from other inventory, or at least arrange to order the item so it could be delivered. If any store told me that they didn’t have it, but they could order it and it would come in ____ amount of time, ok.

Imagine if it was my only car, not functional because of the battery.

Heck, imagine if it was your car, and your car’s functionality was hinging on availability of one part, and nobody was willing to order the part, find the part, or do anything to make the car operational. Don’t you think you would be the slightest bit annoyed?

And again, this thread is to highlight the wild goose chase, apathy, and lack of support after the sale that Walmart provides. If you don’t care then you dont have to read it. Very simple.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Great post JHZR2....

That had to have been quite annoying.

Like you said.... A group 35, 24f, 24, 65 etc probably would have been much easier to work out.

You can thank the corporate bean counters for that most store managers at big chains can't order anything, corporate decided that making a computer auto order is better than entrusting your management to know what they actually sell.

Last edited:

Having done this myself, there are some caveats with Lowe's. They're not a battery retailer so they only get them shipped to the store. Even for home delivery (was an extra $70 in my case) they just ship it to the closest store and then send their delivery crew out. The other thing is that they don't accept battery core returns, which is supposed to be a legal requirement in my state for any retailer that sells a battery. However, I supposed they might not consider the store to have sold the battery but Lowe's corporate. I actually installed it in the parking lot. The manager said it was OK but please don't leave the old battery behind since they'd been warned about hazmat being left behind by customers and were worried about getting fines. Then I tried to return it and was told they had absolutely no mechanism to do that. I had to contact Lowe's corporate with my concern, and the manager called me and said the core fee was refunded to my credit card, and please just find a place to recycle the battery.

I've learned the hardway that cheap and midgrade WalMart batteries don't last more than a week after the warranty runs out. WalMart AGM batteries though are a whole different animal and I had nothing but success with those so far. Best part is that an AGM battery from WalMart usually costs as much as the cheapest battery from auto parts stores. But if compared to auto parts AGM batteries - the Walmart AGM usually is half the price. Case on point below. Vehicle is a 2009 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L 2WD:
Walmart $147 AGM
Autozone $149.99 Lead acid
Autozone AGM $217.99

I've learned the hardway that cheap and midgrade WalMart batteries don't last more than a week after the warranty runs out. WalMart AGM batteries though are a whole different animal and I had nothing but success with those so far. Best part is that an AGM battery from WalMart usually costs as much as the cheapest battery from auto parts stores. But if compared to auto parts AGM batteries - the Walmart AGM usually is half the price. Case on point below. Vehicle is a 2009 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L 2WD:
Walmart $147 AGM
Autozone $149.99 Lead acid
My mom's car has had a $50 walmart battery for the past 2 winters, my Trailblazer has a $50 walmart group 75 battery(undersized even) in it that ran two winters in my dad's Bravada until that car went kaput and one day I was over at my dad's this winter and my battery conked out and we transferred it into my car, it seems to be going still even after 3 winters.

My mom's car has had a $50 walmart battery for the past 2 winters, my Trailblazer has a $50 walmart group 75 battery(undersized even) in it that ran two winters in my dad's Bravada until that car went kaput and one day I was over at my dad's this winter and my battery conked out and we transferred it into my car, it seems to be going still even after 3 winters.
Must be the carolina heat killing all batteries I dealt with, but nearly all lead acid batteries from WalMart died within a few days out of warranty for me. With an exception of one battery for my Tahoe which died 2 months after buying it, and was replaced under warranty thankfully.

Back