Tale of Walmart batteries

When I owned my 2008 Dodge Ram 1500, I plugged a Group 65 Walmart Maxx battery into my truck.

I originally bought a super cheap Walmart Value battery for $50 right after I got it (it needed a battery, tires, windshield, etc.), but that got swapped into a cheap car I sold to a budget buyer.

That 5 year old Maxx battery is still firing up that 4.7 V8 with no problems.

It could be: I bought a factory battery insulator and put it on when I installed the Maxx battery. Maybe that grey mouse fur wrap kept the battery going all this time?

I’ve bought those Menards AC Delco batteries for cars I sell. They are best in domestic cars, and of course add a little originality look to the GM cars/trucks. But I avoid their Group 49 and 94 batteries for imports or my Charger. They don’t have big cold cranking amps (and the Group 94 is rated just a touch too low for my now-gone 2015 Ram 1500).

Are Walmart batteries made to a different specification than the other batteries made by Johnson Controls for other retailers? Assuming they are still made by JC.

Here in DFW TX area, the batteries are made by East Penn.

I needed a battery last year, the WM around me was running out of Group 24A.
I delayed it for a week, the regular battery is available not the Maxx.
Then a month later, I need another 24A, this time the Maxx is available again.

So, it may just be a fluke in the supply chain.
If OP cannot wait, then take the refund and buy it somewhere else at higher price.
That is the nature of business, at least it is still available.

There are Youtube videos on how to convert(inexpensively) your Accord group 51R battery tray, hold down bracket & ground wire to a larger battery such as the group 35 or 24F. These video typically for non hybrid Accords but should get you somewhere close so you will have some different options.

results

I have a bad group 51 Walmart battery in my accord hybrid. It measures 2v.

Not a single one anywhere within 30 miles. No ETA. Can’t order.

Autoparts stores all have them in stock, as does Napa.

So much for WM being useful for battery replacements anywhere.
51R battery in stock in East Brunswick and Old Bridge Walmarts.

I emailed East Penn a few years ago to see which Walmarts around me stock their batteries. They replied back with a list of which stores carried them. Half the stores around here carried them. The ones that did also had JC batteries right along side the EP ones.

After a year of shortages and pandemic buying, is it possible that this is just another facet of the same problem? I get the premise, "everyone" says that Walmart "always" has batteries--but is anything normal at the moment?

Not sure, can you swap in a 24? I picked up a 31531-TK8-A00 and 31521-TK8-A00 for our CRV, for a future 24 conversion--supposedly it fits, but the cables are tight (forget what site I got the p/n's from, it was CRV specific, using Odyssey parts--but you have an Odyssey, maybe you can do a dry run?).

I was going to suggest making patch cables (since it's not used for starting) and cobble it together, but I think this car is too new for hackjobs (that I would do on my stuff).

After a year of shortages and pandemic buying, is it possible that this is just another facet of the same problem? I get the premise, "everyone" says that Walmart "always" has batteries--but is anything normal at the moment?

Not sure, can you swap in a 24? I picked up a 31531-TK8-A00 and 31521-TK8-A00 for our CRV, for a future 24 conversion--supposedly it fits, but the cables are tight (forget what site I got the p/n's from, it was CRV specific, using Odyssey parts--but you have an Odyssey, maybe you can do a dry run?).

I was going to suggest making patch cables (since it's not used for starting) and cobble it together, but I think this car is too new for hackjobs (that I would do on my stuff).

Yeah, we haven't discussed the whole people leaving their cars parked for a long time killing batteries in a while. Not sure if that is still a thing since people seem to be driving.

If you have a Rural King in your area... They have batteries at a good price too.

Agri Supply in my area has East Penn batteries that are very well priced. Group 24F for like $70.
Had an RK Exide battery for 6 years, group 35 for $55. It was a leaker and not maint free. Not my first choice but the felt washers greatly helped.

O’reilleys carries EP batteries but about double the WM price.

Walmart doesn't have a cheap 51 anyway. I second the suggestion of Rural King they usually have both 51 or 51R for about $60.

Mine is a hybrid, so it has very limited space. If more space was available, I would change to a larger, cheaper battery for sure. Maybe even one of the EP value batteries that WM sells - they are working great in my Ram Cummins.
Yeah, we haven't discussed the whole people leaving their cars parked for a long time killing batteries in a while. Not sure if that is still a thing since people seem to be driving.

That might be part of it. The HAH is hard on batteries for whatever reason. But a battery at 2v has something wrong.

Walmart doesn't have a cheap 51 anyway. I second the suggestion of Rural King they usually have both 51 or 51R for about $60.

Don’t have them around here that I know of. Otherwise that would be great since this battery is not doing anything strenuous.

Mine is a hybrid, so it has very limited space. If more space was available, I would change to a larger, cheaper battery for sure. Maybe even one of the EP value batteries that WM sells - they are working great in my Ram Cummins.

That might be part of it. The HAH is hard on batteries for whatever reason. But a battery at 2v has something wrong.

Hybrids are hard on 12 volt batteries because they don't have an alternator charging the 12 volt system. The generator/Converter in-between the trans and the motor charges the EV battery pack and then there is a converter that converts the 144 volt charging system down to 12 volt charging for the "Standby" battery. If your motor ever starts form your 12 volt battery that means your EV battery is very under charged and probably Toast.

As a maintenance its a very good idea to charge the 12 volt battery every couple weeks.

My 06 Accord Hybrid battery is shut off and the generator only charges the 12 volt battery above 1500 RPM's

This reminds me of my SIL who likes to declare I DON'T GO NEAR A WALMART, EVER! Later, it turns out she buys something and it slips out she got it from...drum roll...yes, Walmart.

He offered to make you whole, but you declined. Not sure what more you expected.

Walmart is not for you. Go to a real car parts store.

In my area, a WM group 51 (in stock) is $130, with a 3 year warranty.

Rural King has a group 51 (in stock) for almost half the price ($70), with almost twice the warranty (5 years).

There's something seriously broken with the prices being charged for batteries, at most of these retailers. They're trying to make $150 as "normal".

I have 3 vehicles out in the garage, with 3 Rural King batteries in them. Yeah, they all appear to be from Exide. Last time I checked, an item with nearly twice the warranty, for nearly half the price, still meant something to me.

The RK Exide battery in my Silverado (group 34/78) was installed 1/3/2017. Still under the hood.

eBay should have 51R AGM batteries for about $150 shipped. Haven’t bought one in a while, but I think WM is about $120 w/ the core.

I use this size in one of my garden tractors. I’m going this route next time.

Back