Takata airbag recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 07 Dodge Dakota's driver's side airbag was recalled. I had the recall done by the dealer without any issues but one thing is bothering me and it didnt dawn on me to ask until I left the dealer. Why would only the driver's side airbag be recalled and not the passenger side? I'd have to assume Takata made all the airbags for this particular model. I can't find any info on this subject.

Takata may have only supplied one side, it is not uncommon for different suppliers for each side part on a vehicle.

This recall is a giant charlie foxtrot. Ford put the 2 Mustang / Ford GT recalls into one. It covers 05-14 Mustangs. The parts we were installing on Mustangs were apparently known defective. So now all of those cars will be recalled. There is a part number for 05-12 Mustangs, but it isn't available until some time in June. There is no part or repair procedure for 13-14 Mustangs.

Best part of all is I have 2 body shops with 14 Mustangs that had an airbag deployment. We cannot supply them with replacement airbags because Ford has a stop sale on them. The recall replaces just the inflator, but all of the airbags in all of the parts warehouses have the defective inflators installed.

It's only getting worse. They just added another 35 million airbags to the recall list. Honda is now up to 51 million recalled vehicles. Some are saying that the recalls won't be done til Dec 2019.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Takata may have only supplied one side, it is not uncommon for different suppliers for each side part on a vehicle.

This recall is a giant charlie foxtrot. Ford put the 2 Mustang / Ford GT recalls into one. It covers 05-14 Mustangs. The parts we were installing on Mustangs were apparently known defective. So now all of those cars will be recalled. There is a part number for 05-12 Mustangs, but it isn't available until some time in June. There is no part or repair procedure for 13-14 Mustangs.

Best part of all is I have 2 body shops with 14 Mustangs that had an airbag deployment. We cannot supply them with replacement airbags because Ford has a stop sale on them. The recall replaces just the inflator, but all of the airbags in all of the parts warehouses have the defective inflators installed.

So it only goes back to the 05 MY, meaning my brother's 98 is not affected? (Just sold his 06 back to CarMax for $8k instead of shipping a 3rd car up here)

Originally Posted By: NortheastPest
My 07 Dodge Dakota's driver's side airbag was recalled. I had the recall done by the dealer without any issues but one thing is bothering me and it didnt dawn on me to ask until I left the dealer. Why would only the driver's side airbag be recalled and not the passenger side? I'd have to assume Takata made all the airbags for this particular model. I can't find any info on this subject.

Not necessarily, and most often, not. I work for one of the other airbag manufacturers, and while we may get all seating positions in a car on occasion, more often than not we may get for example, the side airbags, knee airbag, passenger and curtain. One of our competitors may get the driver airbag. In another instance the plant I work in built the knee airbag, driver airbag, curtain airbags, and passenger airbag. A sister plant built all the seat belts and another sister plant built the steering wheel. but a competitor supplied the side airbags.

It does seem odd that only one of the side airbags would be recalled and not the other. I've never seen an instance where one SAB would be built by one company and the other by another. Perhaps they are just working the odds of occupancy. Since there is always a driver, the risk is much higher of a deployment. The passenger has a much lower rate of deployment. It may be recalled later after the highest risk airbags are replaced.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: earlyre
So it only goes back to the 05 MY, meaning my brother's 98 is not affected? (Just sold his 06 back to CarMax for $8k instead of shipping a 3rd car up here)

Nope, the 98 is not part of the recall.

Even if Takata made both airbags, they are likely not both the same model/part. While the recall is huge, it isn't every one they made.

Thanks for the info guys. All good info. In case you want to check if you have any open recalls on your car enter your VIN # at this website:

https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/

FWIW for anyone waiting I received my recall notice March 2015 and didnt get the airbag done until March 2016. It was about a year wait. (may have been less time but I didnt feel like calling the dealer every week to see if they had one in stock)

My MIL received the recall notice for her '07 CRV several months ago, and figured she'd eventually get around to having it done. The day after they announced the expanded recall this month, she took it into the dealer where she bought it for service, and they wouldn't let her drive it home. They put her in a rental Cherokee from Enterprise, on Honda's dime, and until the work is done. Then they parked it with all the others in the parking lot of an abandoned hotel nearby while they wait on the new parts.

Originally Posted By: yesthatsteve
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Does anyone have an actual complete list of ALL the cars affected by this recall?

Here's the most recent list for the US - the vehicles included in this month's update are still being identified. Click on the make to see which models and years are currently affected. http://www.safercar.gov/rs/takata/takatalist.html

Here's another spot to check, the list keeps growing.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/massive-tak...ected-vehicles/

My 14 Mustang and my fiancee's 07 Mustang are part of the recall. She has had a partial fix done on her car but no word for my car.

The bad part is that I've heard of dealers including Ford, low balling trade values because of this recall. They say they can't legally sell a vehicle with an open recall. I'm not sure if this is true since I know people that have bought used Mustangs from a Ford dealer that are under this recall.

Wayne

I find Ford, Chevy, & Dodge always gave me horrible trade in values. Everything they had in the lot is worth a million dollars but what I have was worthless. My wife is fond of Mazda and I have to say their trade ins were always fair.

Last edited:
My BMW X5 only drivers side is affected. However, when is it going to be done is unknown. I think they are replacing humid areas first since that is where issues are. Since Colorado is dry, probably it will take few years.
Also, BMW stopped sale of all used vehicles with Takata airbags.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
My BMW X5 only drivers side is affected. However, when is it going to be done is unknown. I think they are replacing humid areas first since that is where issues are. Since Colorado is dry, probably it will take few years.

They probably did that at the dealership level, but that doesn't stop used car dealers or individuals from selling them.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: edyvw

They probably did that at the dealership level, but that doesn't stop used car dealers or individuals from selling them.

Yes, at dealership level, not third parties or individual sellers.

I was the OP who inquired about the passenger side airbag and why they were not replacing it. Well as I suspected the passenger side airbag is in fact made by Takata. Received this recall notice below from safecar.gov. I think I'm giving up and trading it in for a Tacoma. Check your VIN # folks and be safe!

Year: 2007 Make: DODGE Model: DAKOTA CLUB CAB 4X4
Number of Open Recalls: 1
NHTSA Recall Number: opens new window takes away from VIN lookup section> 16V-352 Recall Date: July 1, 2016
Manufacturer Recall Number: S43
SUMMARY:
THE FRONT PASSENGER AIRBAG INFLATOR HOUSING MAY RUPTURE WHILE DEPLOYING DURING A CRASH. THE POTENTIAL FOR SUCH RUPTURES MAY OCCUR IN SOME OF THE SUBJECT AIRBAG INFLATORS AFTER SEVERAL YEARS OF EXPOSURE TO PERSISTENT CONDITIONS OF HIGH ABSOLUTE HUMIDITY AND/OR HEAT AGING.
SAFETY RISK:
IN THE EVENT OF A FRONT PASSENGER AIRBAG INFLATOR RUPTURE, METAL FRAGMENT(S) COULD PASS THROUGH THE AIRBAG CUSHION MATERIAL, WHICH MAY RESULT IN ADDITIONAL INJURY OR DEATH TO VEHICLE OCCUPANTS.
REMEDY:
THE PASSENGER AIRBAG INFLATOR MUST BE REPLACED.
RECALL STATUS: Recall INCOMPLETE. Remedy not yet available
MANUFACTURER NOTES:

Last edited:
I am finally scheduled to have my airbag replaced in the BMW next week, more than a year after I received the initial recall notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back