Takata airbag recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally received notice to have the drivers side airbag in the Mustang replaced after a year of waiting for parts.
In the same envelope was the notice that the car was being recalled for the passenger side.
Nice job, Ford.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
Finally received notice to have the drivers side airbag in the Mustang replaced after a year of waiting for parts.
In the same envelope was the notice that the car was being recalled for the passenger side.
Nice job, Ford.

I'm sure that's annoying, but Ford probably uses vastly different p/n's for the two sides; and initially I bet only one was determined to be a problem. [Now it's probably safe to assume anything from Takata after date xyz is suspect.]

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: Tdbo
Nice job, Ford.

I'm sure that's annoying, but Ford probably uses vastly different p/n's for the two sides; and initially I bet only one was determined to be a problem. [Now it's probably safe to assume anything from Takata after date xyz is suspect.]

And will be suspect well into the future:

http://abc6onyourside.com/news/auto-matters/takata-still-producing-ammonium-nitrate-airbags

There is no ETA on the Mustang passenger side inflators. The driver and passenger side ones look completely different if you compare to the other models we are replacing.

FWIW there is no ETA on the driver's side inflator on 13 and 14 Mustangs.

Who is footing the cost for bag replacement? Small companies like Mazda would suffer in comparison with Ford, if the car manufacture must foot the replacement.

Originally Posted By: cjcride
Just got my 2004 Corolla done.

I did as well on the 2005 Matrix, took about an hour. Had the oil changed while I was there but brought my own oil, filter and dealer coupon. Total out the door was $7.96 for labor. The coupon discounts their regular labor oil rate for oil changes. Also had them take an oil sample mid-drain and return the old oil filter to possibly have cut open since it's an MC filter. They also washed it, I had some coffee and a muffin for breakfast there, not bad!

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Who is footing the cost for bag replacement? Small companies like Mazda would suffer in comparison with Ford, if the car manufacture must foot the replacement.

Takata is, hence the massive delay in getting parts.

toyota has been hounding me for quite some time to bring in my 03 tundra. since its a work only truck with only me ever in the cab and its for the pssenger side + you can turn the bag off on the dash wkey switch (i swear) i just ignore them . now i even get notices with a pic of my 03 tundra for the recall on facebook!

Originally Posted By: super20dan
toyota has been hounding me for quite some time to bring in my 03 tundra. since its a work only truck with only me ever in the cab and its for the pssenger side + you can turn the bag off on the dash wkey switch (i swear) i just ignore them . now i even get notices with a pic of my 03 tundra for the recall on facebook!

Hard to blame them. Sending mass mail is cheap, sending spam is even cheaper. One lawsuit from you, even if they win, costs far more (lawyer costs, paperwork costs). I could see them hounding people for years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: Eddie

Takata is,

Not quite. Takata doesn't have the resources to keep operating and keep producing those 60 million airbags without getting paid. So for now auto manufacturers keep paying Takata to keep it afloat, so that Takata can keep cranking out these airbags. It's a mess...

Quote:
The company faces potential fines, as well as the cost of litigation and payouts to victims. At some point it also will have to settle up with carmakers that for now are paying for the replacement air bags. The total could be more than $11 billion, according to an analyst at Jefferies. Takata doesn’t have billions. It has only $520 million on hand and is worth about $340 million, less than one-tenth what it was worth at its peak in 2007. The company had a 17 percent share of the global air bag market then; Upham estimates that will have shrunk to 5 percent by 2020.

On May 25, Takata said it had hired Lazard to help secure funding and negotiate with its customers. That’s a polite way of saying someone else will decide its future.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2...-air-bag-crisis

My fiancee finally got the final fix done to the driver's side airbag on her 07 Mustang GT and recently got a recall notice for the passenger side airbag. Nothing yet on my 14 mustang GT.

I almost got a job at the Takata factory making these things. It would've been good money, but its a dead end job. Takata will die.
Also, Someone who used to work there said he watched a bag of the stuff hit the ground and explode. Blew a hole in a wall. He clocked out and never went back..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back