Tacoma V6 on Rotella?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear All,

Has anyone out there had experience with running one of the newer Toyota Tacoma V6 engines on Rotella Synthetic 5w-40? I purchased a bunch for my diesel Dodge and thought it would be kinda neat if I could use the same oil in the Toyota. Both vehicles see a lot of desert heat, deep sand pulling, and otherwise "hard living".

To be "technical" the Toyota specs 5w-30 SM (although on the engine itself it says "SL" and the manual states that 10w-30 can be used "if 5w-30 can't be located"...) the Rotella is rated for SL service but is obviously 5w-40.

I'm not in the "what ever the manufacturer says is gospel camp"...and I'm MOST interested in the oil that will keep the Toyota alive in 100 degree heat climbing desert mountains. Fuel mileage and Cataylist life are secondary...I HATE WALKING OUT ON A FOUR WHEELING TRIP!

Thanks in advance for the help...

Dan

My 05 manual states SL as well as the engine. I usually run 10w-30.

Rotella will work just fine in the taco.

It will work just fine. I have run it 2003 Camry 2.4, and 1995.5 Tacoma 2.7L and in Mom's 4.7 Tundra once. I also have used it in my Sears Craftman Lawn and Garden Tractor and my Brigs and Straton 5 HP push mower oh and it is currently in the wifes 1997 Buick LeSaber 3.8 V6. So I think I have run it in a suffcient number of vechiles both Toyota's and Domestic products to assure you it will work fine! In fact Toyota's love this stuf! It will probably produce the best UOA you will ever have while running this stuff. It handles long OCI's great too. Their is a BMW UOA on this site running RTS 5W40 for 18,000 miles oil change interval that looks great!Best part is tht it is cheap and available almost any place that has a Walmart!

^lol... But he said he has a Cummins so welcome! Only thing that may suffer is fuel economy by putting a heavier weight oil in gas engines.

Thanks folks for your help on this...Rotella it is. Just don't tell my Toyota it's not a HD Truck...it already has "Cummin's Envy"

Dan

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back