Table salt vs kosher salt

My wife prefers table salt but I like kosher salt. We actually have two shakers, one for each.

From what I have read it sounds like it's better to cook with kosher and use table salt after food is cooked but I really don't like table salt, it just tastes odd to me after using kosher for so long.

What is your preference and why?

Table salt tastes odd because of the added iodine. It's ground too fine to use for cooking. Kosher is used for cooking because it's free of the aforementioned iodine and easier to measure out.

You could try using flake salt. That'll add a little crunch but it's expensive unless you opt to make your own (out of Kosher).

I always use coarse ground Kosher or sea salt for cooking. We don't use table salt at all.

Neither table salt or kosher salt will satisfy you after using Real Salt.

We don't use table salt at all.
We really don't either. The main reason I started using kosher salt is I have a seasoning recipe I use on raw veggies that calls for kosher salt. Some times I will put a little kosher salt on eggs but usually just pepper or Frank's hot sauce.

Get some sea salt so both of you can be happy.
It's the coarseness she doesn't like about kosher and isn't sea salt just as course as kosher?

Get a salt grinder and the proper salt.
Proper salt, can you elaborate more on that?

The wife got me some Himalayan Pink salt but it also had a weird to me taste.

Table salt tastes odd because of the added iodine. It's ground too fine to use for cooking. Kosher is used for cooking because it's free of the aforementioned iodine and easier to measure out.

You could try using flake salt. That'll add a little crunch but it's expensive unless you opt to make your own (out of Kosher).

I always use coarse ground Kosher or sea salt for cooking. We don't use table salt at all.

Morton and others have non-iodized table salt.

morton-table-salt-5-250x250.png

But there's a huge range of different types of salt for food. Sea salt. Himalayan pink salt. Gray salt, which is kind of wet. Fleur de sel. Hawaiian red salt. While pure crystalized table salt is just purified salt with anti-caking additives, most salt is made different by different non-salt impurities.

But there's a huge range of different types of salt for food. Sea salt. Himalayan pink salt. Gray salt, which is kind of wet. Fleur de sel. Hawaiian red salt. While pure crystalized table salt is just purified salt with anti-caking additives, most salt is made different by different non-salt impurities.
Which is often full of impurities that are uncharacterized and poorly studied. Those colors didn’t appear out of nowhere and you get colored minerals through metal ions.

Oh but the box said it was good for me.

Which is often full of impurities that are uncharacterized and poorly studied. Those colors didn’t appear out of nowhere and you get colored minerals through metal ions.

Oh but the box said it was good for me.
Are you saying that potassium, magnesium, and calcium, which give Himalayan pink salt its color, are poorly studied? ;)

Are you saying that potassium, magnesium, and calcium, which give Himalayan pink salt its color, are poorly studied? ;)
Mhm. I’d never trust the origin that salt nor the dehydrating process, thanks. People are so quick to blame “chemicals” or “toxins” in various foods yet here we have a substance that is clearly contaminated and yet is marketed or considered as “healthy”.

Maybe my years of working in a chemical research lab has jaded me as to what constitutes a pure substance and what does not.

Mhm. I’d never trust the origin that salt nor the dehydrating process, thanks. People are so quick to blame “chemicals” or “toxins” in various foods yet here we have a substance that is clearly contaminated and yet is marketed or considered as “healthy”.

Maybe my years of working in a chemical research lab has jaded me as to what constitutes a pure substance and what does not.
Ya I get it. It's why I'm a little weary of sea salt.

Neither table salt or kosher salt will satisfy you after using Real Salt.

I was just about to post that. It has a very good flavor:

More like if they don't purify it enough to get rid of those, then there is likely to be other trace things in it too which are variable to the source or process and definitely not all are good for you. Then again you could say the same about the food itself that you're putting the salt on.

You do need some iodine in your diet.

In the old days (before salt was iodized) goiter was frequently seen in places far from the sea. People on the seashore apparently got enough iodine from eating salt water fish. Goiter is an enlarged thyroid recognized by a swelling in the lower front area of the neck.

I've seen photos of people with a goiter but never in person.

You do need some iodine in your diet.

In the old days (before salt was iodized) goiter was frequently seen in places far from the sea. People on the seashore apparently got enough iodine from eating salt water fish. Goiter is an enlarged thyroid recognized by a swelling in the lower front area of the neck.

I've seen photos of people with a goiter but never in person.

Sea salt itself doesn't have a whole lot of iodine though. I've even seen iodized sea salt.

61EK5fHr9gL._SL1500_.jpg

More like if they don't purify it enough to get rid of those, then there is likely to be other trace things in it too which are variable to the source or process and definitely not all are good for you. Then again you could say the same about the food itself that you're putting the salt on.

Depends on how it's processed. Some sea salts are cleaned and recrystallized. Gray salt is not heavily processed. The salt ponds in the San Francisco Bay Area are pink colored due to algae, but it's purified and turned into ordinary table salt. Years ago I was passing through Utah and saw that Morton had salt evaporation ponds around around the Great Salt Lake although I'm not if any of this is used for table salt of any kind. This shows it being used as road salt.

I believe Himalayan pink salt is simply mined and then ground without any kind of washing.

Morton Bulk Safe-T-Salt Type C is solar-evaporated salt produced naturally from brine in Utah’s Great Salt Lake. It is treated with yellow prussiate of soda (YPS) and calcium chloride to meet regional needs.​
Morton® Bulk Safe-T-Salt Type C is solar evaporated salt produced naturally from near-saturated brine. It is impounded in open, shallow ponds where salt crystallizes through slow evaporation by absorption of solar heat and strong wind circulation. Morton Bulk Safe-T-Salt Type C is treated with yellow prussiate of soda (YPS) to prevent caking and calcium chloride to depress the freezing point at the stockpile.​

Back