T stat discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
BIG CHANGE!
Left it outside overnight with block heat unplugged.
It ran up to 200 and pretty much stayed right there. I maybe saw 3-5 degrees of swing on the gauge. Perfect! Set the initial timing per sticker @0 hot.
As left after locking the distributor down 1 degree advanced.
Thanks for the help!

I have notice larger temps swings with the cheaper Stant units, but I have used a couple Stant Superstats and they seemed to maintain temperature well with very little variation and no spiking up and down.
If its a hard one to change, I usually go oem.

When we purchased a 2006 Buick Lacrosse 3.8l , a couple of years ago , I replaced hoses & tstat . The tstat is from O'Reilly .

The engine warms up faster than I can remember any other vehicle we have owned . Is this because of the brand of the tstat or the design of the 3.8l V-6 ? I do not know ?

I am very happy with the heater performance .

I would also suggest the OP put the first part in a pot of water to see the opening temperature. That way a faulty install can be ruled out.

I recently installed a Motorad thermostat and it works great. Normally I use OEM or as close as I can get, but Motorad has a good reputation and the price was unbelievable. It was listed as a standard replacement, not economy parts, so I pulled the trigger. Very happy.

Every stat I've ever seen had some sort of a passage. This new one is a little different from others that I've seen. It had 2 slots formed on the side of the pill that would allow for continuous flow.
Back when my pops was racing they didn't even use a stat. They had a washer in it's place. I'm sure there was some science to the size of the hole.

[Linked Image]

vehicles vary! girlfriends 08 2.5 jetta was cold blooded, but heated well eventually + never overheated, her 13 oil burning 2.5 malibu is gone but need a radiator + water pump, both leaked. her 18 kia optima 2.4 is slow to warm but a better car overall than the malibu.

Originally Posted by P10crew
[Linked Image]

That hole will do nothing,it doesn't look like it is going thru, it has to be on the flat of the flange.Like where the top of your letter "E" is.

Last edited:
4 years ago I replaced a leaking thermostat housing on my Ranger. I replaced the thermostat too, since I was in there. I used a Motorcraft thermostat. Now, here I am 4 years and only about 20k miles later, and the engine will not get up to operating temp. 190* thermostat and the coolant never gets hotter than 170*. So much for OEM quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back