Motorad Thermostats

Hi everyone,

I notice Motorad thermostats are the only stats sold in parts stores in my area, The only exception is Napa where I ordered a Mahle stat made in Germany.

I purchased a late model Volvo V70XC about two months ago and noticed the temperature would drop a notch when coasting and return back to normal in traffic or highway driving, The temp gauge needle on Volvos and BMWs stay in the middle at normal operating temperature, Not sure when the Motorad thermostat was installed but I had issues with Motorad stats in the past on other vehicles.

What are your experience with Motorad thermostats?

Pics of old Motorad thermostat I removed and a new Stant superstat, I installed a Mahle stat and so far so good.

The stat with the small green spring is the Motorad and the pic with the thicker spring is a Stant Superstat.

Attachments

• IMG_0742.jpeg
    IMG_0742.jpeg
    202.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0741.jpeg
    IMG_0741.jpeg
    222.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0740.jpeg
    IMG_0740.jpeg
    205.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0739.jpeg
    IMG_0739.jpeg
    165.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0738.jpeg
    IMG_0738.jpeg
    203.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0737.jpeg
    IMG_0737.jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0735.jpeg
    IMG_0735.jpeg
    168.6 KB · Views: 37
100% Agree👍
I agree 110%. Motorrad is mostly what stores carry around here now and I will order an OEM T-stat to avoid them. I've tried 3x and all three failed on me.. Junk

In the past I had good luck with Stant Superstat's, but since they were sold out to Motorrad I assume they are junk too.

I have used the Motorad UltraStat in my last 3 old cars (PN 5200-195) and I love them. One of the best built thermostats for the money (RA has them for about $9 CDN) in my opinion. I installed one last year when I refreshed the cooling system on my Impala and it has been excellent (precise temperature control). If my Tacoma needed a new stat (unlikely) I'd also look to Motorad if available. I am also using a Motorad radiator cap (PN T16 16psi) on the Impala, also very impressed. I do not like or use "safety stats" of any brand, the UltraStat is a normal function thermostat to be clear.

Isn't OEM going to be a Motorad in most cases? Isn't the issues with the Motorad's mostly from their "fail-safe" that lock in the open position for no good reason and often shortly after installation.

Could be worse you could have one of those foresters with the early failing thermal valve that costs $1800
oem only and not as easy as changing a thermostat.. but hey it warms up half as fast as my jeep 2.0T they must have done something right

(note: read with heavy sarcasm)

Edit: the full name is thermal control valve... supposedly fixed now.. was/is a major disaster on the 2019 models.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I notice Motorad thermostats are the only stats sold in parts stores in my area, The only exception is Napa where I ordered a Mahle stat made in Germany.

I purchased a late model Volvo V70XC about two months ago and noticed the temperature would drop a notch when coasting and return back to normal in traffic or highway driving, The temp gauge needle on Volvos and BMWs stay in the middle at normal operating temperature, Not sure when the Motorad thermostat was installed but I had issues with Motorad stats in the past on other vehicles.

Pics of old Motorad thermostat I removed and a new Stant superstat, I installed a Mahle stat and so far so good.

The stat with the small green spring is the Motorad and the pic with the thicker spring is a Stant Superstat.
So I used to only purchase Stant. Unfortunately Motorad purchased Stant a few years ago.

Hi everyone,

3+ yrs ago I installed a new Motorad thermostat, water pump, and coolant in our 07 6.2L Denali. Still works great.

Junk. Even OE is MotoRad in some cases but I’ll trust the OE part.

Actual OE thermostats that happen to be made by Motorad are fine because it was really designed by the OEM just manufactured by Motorad.

However, some of them rebox aftermarket Motorads (like someone here found on an older Jeep), and of course these are inferior :cautious:

I have a 2004 Chev Impala 3.8-K I have put in two motorad in, hooked up my snap on scanner took for a test drive and both of them
had temperature running at 176 - 180 degrees F. Made sure both were 192 degrees F so my engine should be 195 F. Bit the Bullitt
and put in a GM thermostat temp runs 195-103 F all the time even in cold weather. Spend the extra for OEM parts and I would
have only replace the bad on. Replaced the first one because service engine soon light was on trouble code P0128 engine not reaching
regulating temperature. PCM was affecting fuel mileage very important to reach operating temp.
Thanks for all the information!

Back