T-Mobile Home Internet

I work for a trucking company and we have a lot of drivers that have it in their trucks with no issues.
Truckers need this living on the road to make their life more comfortable. Maybe T-Mobile is overlooking it? But T-Mobile doesn’t allow you to use the device as a mobile hotspot.

E71E2537-F603-419C-814A-F4E4BB197C12.jpg

Today I took the Cox modem back and cancelled service, T-Mobile has worked out flawlessly. Some have mentioned the location of the gateway is sensitive to signal strength, but I have not found that to be true, maybe because I am in an urban location and have a single story home.

Also, the built in battery is only used to survey for placement of the gateway, it will not provide connectivity in the event of a power outage...that was a bit disappointing to learn.

Today I took the Cox modem back and cancelled service, T-Mobile has worked out flawlessly. Some have mentioned the location of the gateway is sensitive to signal strength, but I have not found that to be true, maybe because I am in an urban location and have a single story home.

Also, the built in battery is only used to survey for placement of the gateway, it will not provide connectivity in the event of a power outage...that was a bit disappointing to learn.
Did you lose power the other night too?

So glad I went with ATT fiber 1/2 gig. Six months in and no down time. Once it went out when a landscaper cut a line. Back up in one hour.

Woo! It’s finally available at my address! Got my order in, will report how it functions in a more rural setting once I get it.

They also give you up to $500 for early cancellation fees, so I’ll see how easy that is to claim.

Cox is horrible where I am in Las Vegas. Constant small dropouts. They blame your modem until you downgrade to their supplied one. Blaming the house wiring is a new one to me, but I'm not suprised.

Woo! It’s finally available at my address! Got my order in, will report how it functions in a more rural setting once I get it.

They also give you up to $500 for early cancellation fees, so I’ll see how easy that is to claim.
mine just showed as being available , ran right to t mobil and got one , seems to be working great

I have the round version one. We had U-verse at 12mb down and less than 1 up. T mobile is like lightening compared to that. We can stream shows now without having the spinning wheel. I'll have to try it at the campground which is just 6-7 miles from our home. I have fiber at our other home and it does 150mb for $81/mo. No more $225/mo Comcast.

Initial impressions: signal in my house is incredibly variable, but I think I found the “sweet spot.” So far I’m impressed, I’ll give it a few more days before I fully commit. Not bad speed for having a signal that bounces between weak and good.

The upload though… almost 4x as fast as comcast!
9F6C41B2-479C-4694-A9E2-A68C8B980F78.jpeg

Initial impressions: signal in my house is incredibly variable, but I think I found the “sweet spot.” So far I’m impressed, I’ll give it a few more days before I fully commit. Not bad speed for having a signal that bounces between weak and good.

The upload though… almost 4x as fast as comcast!
View attachment 100611
Are those speeds from "peak" evening or morning hours? If so, I'd keep it.

For perspective, here's an article from a writer in NYC who gets 200+ up & 40+ down but doesn't think it's good enough (?):

Are those speeds from "peak" evening or morning hours? If so, I'd keep it.

For perspective, here's an article from a writer in NYC who gets 200+ up & 40+ down but doesn't think it's good enough (?):

That test was at about 8am, at 9:30am I’m getting 137 down and 7.5 up. I’ll test again around 5:30pm to see how it’s doing. We get 15 days to try it, even if it slows down to 50mbps at times I’ll be happy to kick comcast to the curb, I’ll save $25/month for the rest of this year and about $50/month after the promo rate expires… especially since I have to pay $30 extra for the privilege of unlimited data with comcast.

EDIT - I’ll be saving $59 a month after the promo rate expires with comcast.

Last edited:
5pm test. Whether it was signal related, the fact my wife was live streaming the Johnny Depp trial while my son was streaming Star Wars in 4K w/Dolby Vision at the same time and the Xbox doing an update, or just congestion I’m not sure but I’m still pleased.

Already up to 24Gb used for the day according to T-Mobile.
592D6577-1DC0-4BFF-95AA-51242C1D5257.jpeg

That test was at about 8am, at 9:30am I’m getting 137 down and 7.5 up. I’ll test again around 5:30pm to see how it’s doing. We get 15 days to try it, even if it slows down to 50mbps at times I’ll be happy to kick comcast to the curb, I’ll save $25/month for the rest of this year and about $50/month after the promo rate expires… especially since I have to pay $30 extra for the privilege of unlimited data with comcast.

EDIT - I’ll be saving $59 a month after the promo rate expires with comcast.
I will tell you those speeds rivaled the best I saw when I tried it over a year ago (in peak hours I sometimes saw under 10 for both up and down). In my case the price was similar to my existing ATT vdsl service, which was very reliable albeit limited in speed.

I totally understand wanting to escape comcast - they are an absolute last resort for me. Another factor for me was that at that time there were issues with my provided IP address being seen in AL, TN, or MO. According to my neighbor who's had it for about a year, that issue has been corrected (at least in his case).

I can't speak for Cox as it's not available here but they are very similar to Comcast, just recently a fiber company has received contracts to allow them to come into all of the incorporated towns in the county where I live so I will finally be able to ditch them for good... I'm tired of the rate increases every 2 yrs, my friend has fiber with this company and only pays $80 month for their 1gb service and it's both ways up and down, I'm paying $113.95 just for 1gb down and around 35 up and his bill has never increased with them and has been the same as when he first got it.

I didn't realize this company got all of the towns here but I can see Comcast loosing a lot of customers. My friend works for another telco company who contracts with them, he texted me the other day there was a memo that just went out that said they were going to be launching services in late 2022 and offering blazing fast internet service to over 8k homes by mid 2023.

Back