T-Mobile Home Internet

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
We've been having some intermittent issues with Cox for about 2 months now, swapped our owned modem and router for a rented one from them about a month ago and finally had a service call yesterday after it was out most of the day Wednesday. Tech claims it's the interior coax, I find that hard to believe since it was replaced in 2015 as part of a remodel to the house. We decided to try T-Mobile since it would be a $38/mo savings and might be more reliable. Initial impressions are very good, as a plus the home gateway they provide has a backup battery and a little LCD touchscreen, unlike the Cox unit.

Went to the store yesterday, no activation fees, no charge for the gateway, no commitment. $50/mo inclusive of all fees and taxes. First 15 days are free and they are giving away a $50 Visa gift card to sweeten the already great deal.

Initial impressions are very positive, we're going to test it over the next week and will dump Cox if this works out for us. We both work from home so Teams calls during the day, web browsing and YouTube at night. We have DISH for TV so no major streaming.

PwpMBFl.png

pxSkbat.png

Waiting for alternative to spectrum. They are more $$$ every year.
100 bucks just for home internet.. (practically) ugh.

my county is in on running fiber. probably take 5 years to be ready though.

Do you have CenturyLink fiber in your neighborhood? Been very happy with it here for a couple years now. And $65 a month for life.

This is Wi-Fi to my phone, 3 other devices streaming right now.

4A0CB2C0-C90A-4003-90E6-94BE6CD6741D.png

Do you have CenturyLink fiber in your neighborhood? Been very happy with it here for a couple years now. And $65 a month for life.

This is Wi-Fi to my phone, 3 other devices streaming right now.

I didn't even know fiber was in Phoenix. I checked and it doesn't look like it's available here 😭

I checked a couple streets west and it's available there. I would totally go this route if it was an option.

g8uPo6D.png

I’m jealous and sick to my stomach. We tried T-Mobile home Internet in January 2021, it was a no go, tower needs to be upgraded near us and had to return the equipment. Still stuck with Spectrum and I hate paying the price.
Ironically I just posted in the electronic section that I have T-Mobile and an iPhone 13.
2 1/2 miles from my house I can get data speeds on my cell phone of 800 Mbps.

I firmly believe someday that fiber-optic to a house will be as antiquated as copper telephone lines are. Everything will be wireless.
Great post by the way Dishdude please keep us updated.

Last edited:
I recently switched to Verizon 5G Home Internet. Chose Verizon over T-Mobile as I'm already a Verizon customer so it's dirt cheap. $35/month. Plus I have very negative history with T-Mobile.

Overall it works well. I can definitely tell the difference in latency compared to Comcast/Xfinity when online gaming but I'm not an avid gamer, it's alright. Speeds about 300Mbps down/20Mbps up. Yeah Comcast's 1Gbps down/40Mbps up was faster but I don't run my Plex server anymore so it's good enough. Note I'm not in a place where the "5G UW" Home internet is available so this is just regular 5G/LTE basically.

I’ve had it for a few weeks. I was on a waiting list prior to getting it. Only so many customers are allowed for a certain area I assume.
You cannot take it with you on the road and use it in your travel trailer. When you set it up it gets an assigned tower(s) local to you. During setup, T=Mobile does point out where the tower is at in relation to the address it will be used at and suggest where best to place the device.

I do notice that Some websites like Home Depot and Napa think I’m in Michigan one day and and another day thought I was in Houston. The ping time is a little slower but not enough to notice.

Wife and I can stream two things at once with no issue. The device has its own phone number and I suspect it’s made by Samsung. It does have Wi-Fi 6/AX. The prior T=Moible 5G home service device was a piece of junk from what I read. The new unit has 2.4mhz for legacy Wi-Fi devices unlike the prior one.

I get 3, sometimes 4 bars, 240 mbps down, 34ms ping and 20 upload.

The device has a tiny screen. I have received two text on it that have nothing to do with me. A CVS refill, I've only had a few RX's in my entire life and some protest that is happening Saturday the 14th. I blured the link address out.

Anyone who says, I had a bad experience with T-Mobile, Verizon.. home internet back a year or 3 ago needs to realize that isn't today.
If it sucks today for you where you live, it doesn't mean it will suck a year from now.

IMG_2388.JPG
IMG_2386.JPG

We've been having some intermittent issues with Cox for about 2 months now, swapped our owned modem and router for a rented one from them about a month ago and finally had a service call yesterday after it was out most of the day Wednesday. Tech claims it's the interior coax, I find that hard to believe since it was replaced in 2015 as part of a remodel to the house. We decided to try T-Mobile since it would be a $38/mo savings and might be more reliable. Initial impressions are very good, as a plus the home gateway they provide has a backup battery and a little LCD touchscreen, unlike the Cox unit.

Went to the store yesterday, no activation fees, no charge for the gateway, no commitment. $50/mo inclusive of all fees and taxes. First 15 days are free and they are giving away a $50 Visa gift card to sweeten the already great deal.

Initial impressions are very positive, we're going to test it over the next week and will dump Cox if this works out for us. We both work from home so Teams calls during the day, web browsing and YouTube at night. We have DISH for TV so no major streaming.

PwpMBFl.png

pxSkbat.png
where does the 50$ visa gift card come from , how did you get it?

the pricing is regional that "gigabit" cable is 129$ a month here. (just became available)
only other option is at&t dsl 50mbit max.

I’ve had it for a few weeks. I was on a waiting list prior to getting it. Only so many customers are allowed for a certain area I assume.
You cannot take it with you on the road and use it in your travel trailer. When you set it up it gets an assigned tower(s) local to you. During setup, T=Mobile does point out where the tower is at in relation to the address it will be used at and suggest where best to place the device.

I do notice that Some websites like Home Depot and Napa think I’m in Michigan one day and and another day thought I was in Houston. The ping time is a little slower but not enough to notice.

Wife and I can stream two things at once with no issue. The device has its own phone number and I suspect it’s made by Samsung. It does have Wi-Fi 6/AX. The prior T=Moible 5G home service device was a piece of junk from what I read. The new unit has 2.4mhz for legacy Wi-Fi devices unlike the prior one.

I get 3, sometimes 4 bars, 240 mbps down, 34ms ping and 20 upload.

The device has a tiny screen. I have received two text on it that have nothing to do with me. A CVS refill, I've only had a few RX's in my entire life and some protest that is happening Saturday the 14th. I blured the link address out.

Anyone who says, I had a bad experience with T-Mobile, Verizon.. home internet back a year or 3 ago needs to realize that isn't today.
If it sucks today for you where you live, it doesn't mean it will suck a year from now.

View attachment 99128View attachment 99129
Im trying to understand your post. Typically the home internet device is a small tower in black or silver unless what you have is something new, at least by looking at your photos it looks like a hot spot device.

Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 9.12.08 AM.png

Above is the home internet device, not available to me yet. Tried it last year tower needs upgrading and had to return it..
But the Hotspot device below is available, you mention the screen and a lot of the hotspot devices have screens.

Last edited:
I have the one alarmguy pictured. The front of it has a tiny screen and can receive inbound text messages.
Cool, that seems like the latest one. We had the Silver Nokia tower last year when we tried it.
God I cant wait to ditch Spectrum.
TMobile has it going on. Who knows, may make wired internet a thing of the past in the future, just like home landline phones.

I work for a trucking company and we have a lot of drivers that have it in their trucks with no issues.

Back