Synthetic really worth it for my new 2013 Civic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
$55.00 for an oil change?? My oil changes with my Honda dealer are free for life.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SLCraig
When I traded in my 2011 Civic at 60K miles it was spotless under the oil fill cap and ran like new, mix of dino and synthetic was used. I did use Pennzoil conventional for the first oil change intentionally, it has high moly. I figured could not hurt.

Can all civic owners post their oil "fill hole under the cap" photos ?
One photo with flash on and a second photo without camera flash on.

Then we can define what does "spotless under the oil fill cap" mean ! ?

I will be posting mine from the R18 here soon...

Originally Posted By: flinter
Hi,

I have a 2013 Honda Civic EX sedan, which I loved.

You don't love it anymore?
smile.gif

A $25 synthetic used over 7,500 miles equates to .33 cents a mile (that's 25/7,500).

25 divided by 7500 = .003333... so how did you come up with .33?

Originally Posted By: ccl088
A $25 synthetic used over 7,500 miles equates to .33 cents a mile (that's 25/7,500).

25 divided by 7500 = .003333... so how did you come up with .33?

He is correct. 25/7500=0.003333 or 1/3 of a cent

You both have the same answer, but his is in cents and yours is in dollars.

This engine calls for 0W-20, correct?
Use the recommended oil.
Honda also states very clearly in the OM that the factory fill should be run for a full normal interval, so unless your car is already down to 15% MM or less, it doesn't need an oil change yet.
You can use any 0W-20, almost all of which are synthetic.
I used a P1 for the first oil change on my '12 Accord and it's on a K&N now. Both filters were bought on deals, of course.
I have a large stash of HGMO 0W-20, so that's what's in the engine now.
You can register your car on the Pennzoil and Quaker State sites and get $20.00 MIRs on PP and QSUD, both available in 0W-20.
After that, try calling some dealers, looking online and checking CL. You should be able to find TGMO 0W-20 for ~ $5.00/qt.
If you must buy oil from Walmart, M1 0W-20 looks like their best choice, although Synpower would be pretty okay as well and I doubt that the engine would mind a steady diet of either PP or QSUD, especially PP and QSUD you got for very little outlay after MIR.
You can save yourself some money as well as time and aggravation by doing your own oil changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back