Synthetic oil for CLP?

I don’t necessarily mean to start a “best gun oil” debate but I was wondering if those who use synthetic motor oil could share their experiences.

Currently I use break free CLP for field use and their “LP” after a dedicated cleaning. This is working very well for me and I like the thicker LP a lot. I need to stock up some in my reserves but don’t want to pay Gucci prices.

for those that use synthetic motor oil
1. How does it function as a CLP? Does it require a dedicated cleaner still?
2. How does it do as a corrosion inhibitor? While this might not be critical with certain material finishes used on ARs it still matters a lot on traditional finishes.
3. What weight do you like? I have heard everything from 0w20 to 10w30 and, well pretty much the entire range of PCMO and HDEO. I would think a straight weight might be best but maybe it just doesn’t matter...

on the few semiauto pistols that i own, after cleaning with clp, hoppes or ballistol (whatever is at hand), i put a few drops of mobil 1 on the slides. no scientific basis other than i have a topup bottlle of mobil 1 for my passat and mobil 1 is an excellent lubricant.

For the clean part, you really need a heavier solvent to dissolve the carbon deposits. Engine oil isn't going to cut it.

High Performance Lubricant (a site sponsor) makes a CLP and gun lube. That's what I use.

DSC05482-Resized2k.JPG

I don’t necessarily mean to start a “best gun oil” debate but I was wondering if those who use synthetic motor oil could share their experiences.

Currently I use break free CLP for field use and their “LP” after a dedicated cleaning. This is working very well for me and I like the thicker LP a lot. I need to stock up some in my reserves but don’t want to pay Gucci prices.

for those that use synthetic motor oil
1. How does it function as a CLP? Does it require a dedicated cleaner still?
2. How does it do as a corrosion inhibitor? While this might not be critical with certain material finishes used on ARs it still matters a lot on traditional finishes.
3. What weight do you like? I have heard everything from 0w20 to 10w30 and, well pretty much the entire range of PCMO and HDEO. I would think a straight weight might be best but maybe it just doesn’t matter...

Sure, here we go

By the numbers.

I have cleaned/blued/refinished professionally for decades as well as lubrication engineering so this is a broad based answer based on my experience trying almost every scenario imaginable with just about every concoction around.

Foundation- almost all weapons are boundary lubricated and even then the primary tribological agent is the finish ( asperity control) and material properties ( hardness mostly) with virtually no film required during cycling ( and depending on rounds fired, even if you start with a film, you may not end up with one). Point is that there is very little actual chemical lubrication required for proper operation of most weapons.

Next, as a general rule, "cleaners" generally don't lubricate- lubricants don't clean well and "preservative" is a made up marketing term that's meaningless. Those that do it all together work but how well is in the eye of the beholder.

Cleaning- Cleaning is determined by what needs to be cleaned and with a weapon its usually baked on carbon. You benefit from a good solvent best. I use my parts cleaner (saftkleen) but before that was mineral spirits ( used to be 1:1:1 and varsol but oh well, that's a different world) or brake cleaner. I have used dunking carburetor cleaner before. Ideally you want to flush/rinse and cans of brake clean do get expensive. I have used Dawn and boiled some with good results.

So, "oil" (dino or synthetic) probably isn't the best selection to really give a good GI clean to a weapon but like spit, you rub long and hard enough it will eventually get there but a dedicated solvent is superior.

Corrosion- Be careful here. Few weapons are truly "corroded" (in the normal sense of the term) and surface rust is not difficult to prevent. The thing is that "bluing" is passivated corrosion. Anything that can attack corrosion can attack many finishes. ( this is whys sometimes they get "lighter" with age- that's not "wearing off" usually). When I cure from bluing- its straight 30 (no nothing). Same for lubricating.

Never tried a synthetic straight but I cannot see a difference.

"Weight" isn't going to matter because if you do the proper "thin film" - there is no "weight" to consider. You don't want residue running out into the furniture, holster etc.- it makes a mess so that "coating" is the corrosion layer as well as the boundary film.

I consume average a quart a year on the oil and maybe a vapor /splash loss of about a gallon of cleaner ( when I use mineral spirits)- and that's with a lot of weapons

Sure, here we go

By the numbers.

I have cleaned/blued/refinished professionally for decades as well as lubrication engineering so this is a broad based answer based on my experience trying almost every scenario imaginable with just about every concoction around.

Foundation- almost all weapons are boundary lubricated and even then the primary tribological agent is the finish ( asperity control) and material properties ( hardness mostly) with virtually no film required during cycling ( and depending on rounds fired, even if you start with a film, you may not end up with one). Point is that there is very little actual chemical lubrication required for proper operation of most weapons.

Next, as a general rule, "cleaners" generally don't lubricate- lubricants don't clean well and "preservative" is a made up marketing term that's meaningless. Those that do it all together work but how well is in the eye of the beholder.

Cleaning- Cleaning is determined by what needs to be cleaned and with a weapon its usually baked on carbon. You benefit from a good solvent best. I use my parts cleaner (saftkleen) but before that was mineral spirits ( used to be 1:1:1 and varsol but oh well, that's a different world) or brake cleaner. I have used dunking carburetor cleaner before. Ideally you want to flush/rinse and cans of brake clean do get expensive. I have used Dawn and boiled some with good results.

So, "oil" (dino or synthetic) probably isn't the best selection to really give a good GI clean to a weapon but like spit, you rub long and hard enough it will eventually get there but a dedicated solvent is superior.

Corrosion- Be careful here. Few weapons are truly "corroded" (in the normal sense of the term) and surface rust is not difficult to prevent. The thing is that "bluing" is passivated corrosion. Anything that can attack corrosion can attack many finishes. ( this is whys sometimes they get "lighter" with age- that's not "wearing off" usually). When I cure from bluing- its straight 30 (no nothing). Same for lubricating.

Never tried a synthetic straight but I cannot see a difference.

"Weight" isn't going to matter because if you do the proper "thin film" - there is no "weight" to consider. You don't want residue running out into the furniture, holster etc.- it makes a mess so that "coating" is the corrosion layer as well as the boundary film.

I consume average a quart a year on the oil and maybe a vapor /splash loss of about a gallon of cleaner ( when I use mineral spirits)- and that's with a lot of weapons

That's a lot of great info however I have to discount it quite a bit because you phailed to mention which products smelled best.

That's a lot of great info however I have to discount it quite a bit because you phailed to mention which products smelled best.

I'm supposed to be vendor neutral but as a personal preference, I like Breakfree CLP in terms of best bouquet. ( but there's something to be said for Hoppes)

Dibutoxymethane (butylal) is a great solvent that doesn't leave a residue and is relatively non-toxic. I've also used it to get stubborn deposits off cylinder heads, pistons, etc...

I'm supposed to be vendor neutral but as a personal preference, I like Breakfree CLP in terms of best bouquet. ( but there's something to be said for Hoppes)

Any thoughts on Fireclean and the whole debacle about it supposedly just being Crisco shortening?

Any thoughts on Fireclean and the whole debacle about it supposedly just being Crisco shortening?

Sure as long as its clear that I am decoupling the product proper from the company that makes it.

I would never buy or use this specific product under any circumstances but that's because of what I deem unprofessional conduct by the owners and what have to be two of the most ridiculous and poorly contrived lawsuits I have ever heard of. ( after actually following them as I am also a recognized SME in litigation in areas under my license and was curious about the whole thing since it involved lubrication)

I can tell from reviewing the "evidence" they themselves presented plus my own knowledge in the industry ( and discussions with various chemists on other things similar to this product use) and know basically what it is. I immediately default to my " never go any further "list when I go hunting an SDS and technical data sheet and all I get is flowery language full of non-descript adjectives that end up saying absolutely nothing I can measure or relate to.

Its not "Crisco" ( the brand) or anything else at the grocery store, repackaged or otherwise.

It is a vegetable oil blend of whatever mix they came up with and an additive package not significantly different than food grade oils/greases.

I've had several SME's in oil manufacturing confirm that such things are nor only normal but common. The "stigma" is using plant oil on machines. (I get that at times with some of my food clients so I know that's real and out there) Someone like Mola might could school you on how all that works but that's way outside of my skillset.

So I imagine just based on my limited knowledge that its probably just as good a "gun oil" as any but I cannot speak from personal experience for the first reason above.

Man I tried this. Used Mobil1 Vtwin 20w-50 for gun oil but found it doesn't have the solvent properties of a CLP type product and didn't make a dent on carbon.
*Basically only good as a lube for slides , connectors , parts that rub , etc. then you have to clean with something else . The Mobil 1 V-Twin doesn't protect either ... I realized I use so little of the stuff it's not worth it to make a quart of gun oil that really is only good as a lube as it doesn't clean nor protect from rust . The above said , FP10 , Weapon Shield , MPro 7 , SLIP 2000 , G96 , etc. would all last me quite while .

I mix a concoction of mostly syn transmission fluid & lightweight syn motor oil, 0w Royal Purple was the most recent. There are a few recipes that come up on a net search.

I have regular ‘gun oil’ too, just have this homemade stuff in larger quantities.

When I did USPSA a lot of guys used syn motor oil.
does crap at cleaning
oiled the gun enough where we never saw any malfunctions during use 200 plus range sessions are the norm.
used it as a cleaner, but don't really care about copper or carbon build up on a pistol, it gets the pistol clean enough.

I used 5w-30 only cause that what my Toyota called for.

my range toys are blued I saw more from holster wear (actually removed metal) than from any oil I ever used.

about the only oil I ever saw rapid rust from was militec that **** is a rust enhancer.

I shoot all cast bulllets so my pistol are "waxy" wehn done a strip and soak in mineral spirts.
lube with ISO 220 way lube.

I use #00 grease where I do not wont lube running, hood, slide bushing etc this is 1911 the 1 glock gets a light amount off oil or grease on sliding area.

I have used in the past Mobil 1 5w30/10w30 as a clp. It works ok as a lube and cleaner, but where it fails is in rust prevention. Any oil is better than none, but save the motor oil for backup oiling only or to thin out expensive lubes. I have added some motor oil to mil spec clp to thin it out some but would not recommend motor oil as the main clp.

I use 3 IN 1 oil as a lubricant, BALLISTOL, HOPPES, and AMSOIL 5W30.
When my eye drops were used up I cleaned out the little bottle and filled it with AMSOIL 5W30. It's an excellent lube.
AMSOIL.jpeg

Back