Synthetic oil choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
97 F150,4.2V6,almost 110k miles
Ive been wanting to switch to a full synthetic oil for some time now,and was gonna do it at 110k miles.Ive considered GC,but thats a bit pricey.I'm leaning towards Mobil1 or Castrol Syntec.I'm currently using Motorcraft 5W30 dino.Can I use a 10W30 synthetic instead of a 5W30,being that I live in Tampa,Florida? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanx!
patriot.gif

GC is no more expensive then M1, and even if it was $.50qt more, it's not that big of a deal. If you can get a hold of GC, you should go for it. Their is no better 30wt oil at the moment.

quote:

Originally posted by Steve S:
why switch?

One reason is to go further in OCI.Another is to let my engine run easier with synthetic.I have synthetic differential lube,synthetic transmission fluid,so why not have synthetic engine oil? I want my engine to last awhile so I figure synthetic oil will help that happen.BTW,I seen some GC in AZ Saturday and the batch number on the bottom of the the bottle was "M40...."....is this a good batch?
dunno.gif

I've converted several people from 3k/3mo mineral oil to 7.5k/6 month OCI's with higher mileage vehicles. Lives are busy now and anything to remove an appointment from the calender helps.

10w30 should work. 0w40 and 5w40 are also options.

I don't think that GC made in Germany had bad batches. Its all good.

Don't forget the PS reservoir. I use synth there!

why not try the new M1 EP 5 or 10w-30?

You need to use UOA on truck engines running M1. Its thinness isnt always the best thing, IMO.

Motorcraft syn blend isnt a bad choice.

Mobil clean 7500 seems to be getting high marks, and will be fine for say, 6k OCIs.

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
GC is no more expensive then M1, and even if it was $.50qt more, it's not that big of a deal. If you can get a hold of GC, you should go for it. Their is no better 30wt oil at the moment.

I can't find GC at anywhere near the M1 price ($3.88 / quart).
dunno.gif

I see K-Mart has Mobil1 on sale for $3.99 a quart,so i'll go that route.Now,should I stay with 5W30 or can I use 10W30,being I live in Florida? Ive read alot of threads about how close both of these weights are the same.Will 10W30 hurt my gas mileage?
dunno.gif

Whatever you can get on sale. Pepboys was running a good deal on the new Pennzoil recently. I'd run 10w30 in Tampa with your engine and my first choice would be M1, but I wouldn't hesitate to run GC, Pennzoil or any of the other synthetic oils if I could get them on sale.

I would suggest a shorter OCI for the initial fill on whatever synthetic you choose. I put M1 in my wife's 5.4L Expedition and was amazed at how saturated the M1 became as it removed deposits/varnish from the interior of her engine. 3-4K might be all you can expect for that first OCI. I also know from experience that a good clean Motorcraft PCV valve is a necessity for our 5.4L. I don't have any experience with a 4.2L, but would imagine that it is the same. Other aftermarket PCV valves don't seem to seal as well as the Motorcraft brand.

In 2004, Mobil (on their website) recommended shorter initial OCIs for a customer who changed over to M1 after running dino for an extended period of time. I believe that they recommended a 3K and 4K OCI before going to 5K+ intervals.

I don't think you will have any problem with M1 10W30 in Tampa, especially during the summer.

Blue,

If you go the Mobil 1 route, I think your F150 will treat you very well. M1 is very good synthetic oil, IMHO. Even better if you can get it at $3.99/qt.

FWIW, I just changed the oil in our '97 Expedition today. I used Havoline synthetic, (3) qt's 5w30 & (3) qt's 10w30. I also used a MC FL820S filter. The Expy seems very, very happy.

I got the oil on sale a couple months ago for $2/qt. & have been itching to use it ever since.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back