Synthetic makes 1NZ-FXE louder. More than once

New oil always sounds quieter. Run it for a couple of thousand miles or so and check back in with your observation.

New oil always sounds quieter. Run it for a couple of thousand miles or so and check back in with your observation.
I agree completely. But my acoustic memory is not good enough to be able to integrate a thousand miles of audio and then make an accurate comparison to new. I'm pretty much stuck with a quick mental comparison to right before I changed the oil.

Even then I'm not completely sure I'm not being fooled by the oil being cold and having a higher MOFT.

I’ve had great luck with super tech over the years, I researched the crap out of it and even called and talked to one of their chemists at the factory that make it about six or seven years ago.
Was this Warren? As I hope you know, Supertech is just the Walmart house label, the actual product has been produced by different manufacturers over both the years and based on location. Warren (who also makes Amazon Basics) is the most common blender, and they recently changed hands, now Highline Warren:

OK clearly you didn’t read the thread. The car was quiet for at least 600 miles with the old oil. I changed it, and it started getting a little louder immediately after the change. I just took out that fresh oil this morning and put in quaker state and now it’s quiet again.

OK clearly you didn’t read the thread. The car was quiet for at least 600 miles with the old oil. I changed it, and it started getting a little louder immediately after the change. I just took out that fresh oil this morning and put in quaker state and now it’s quiet again.
Who are you replying to here?

Pimtac. And wasn’t being rude but the whole thread is about new oil causing more motor noise / they said the motor was loud because of old oil, the exact opposite

Was this Warren? As I hope you know, Supertech is just the Walmart house label, the actual product has been produced by different manufacturers over both the years and based on location. Warren (who also makes Amazon Basics) is the most common blender, and they recently changed hands, now Highline Warren:
Shoot is was a long time ago I don’t remember

Oh of course! It’d be silly to think Walmart Owned and operated a n oil refinery! I don’t think they make anything - they just pay the people that do to put their name on it.

But I did speak to someone there and was impressed compared to Much more costly brands like mobile one and Valvoline. Keep in mind I do like 60 to 70 oil changes per year that aren’t on cars I own. We own six cars personally, and they get mobile one and a factory or wix filter

Prius means it's a hybrid. Is this a full hybrid (i.e., can it run electric-only?), or is the engine always running? If the first, then you'd have a cold engine go to >3000/min frequently. I certainly would want an oil with a reasonably low cold-start-viscosity then. (Not only the w-rating, but also viscosity at 40°C.)

Re sound: some people claim that PAO base oils make engines louder, due to different sound propagation due to molecular structure. I have no idea if this holds true; if so, is homeopathic in effect size - or if this is utter ********.

Prius absolutely is full hybrid, meaning it could go decent speeds with the engine off. All the way back to December 1997 in Japan, and of course 2001 here in America. The Prius that was just discontinued to make way for the fifth generation in 2023 goes at least 55 if not 65 with the engine off, and these are not even plug-in models.

So Prius second generation 2004 through 2009 has, in the United States models not Japanese models, a thermos behind the front left corner of the bumper. It holds probably a gallon of coolant, and I have personally experienced it keep that coolant hot enough to burn skin after six hours sitting in 40°F Outside . That being said, no, the car really doesn’t struggle to stay warm. Although, the HVAC computer calling for heat might make the engine run more than it should otherwise. But, what you were talking about, literally cold starts, typically only once a day. If your Prius sits outside all day when you are at work and it’s winter, it might have a decently cold start when you go to leave to go home, but that thermos injects a decent amount of heat into the motor

Generation three and four, and I am assuming generation five, have a coolant sleeve around the catalytic converter which superheat coolant quite fast on demand. They truly didn’t think of everything. It is amazing to think that 25 years ago, there were cars doing 40 with the engine off, but weren’t restricted to a plug. I am not a fan of electric cars, for a lifestyle like mine and my families, they are an absolute scam. We are adventurous and often go places where an electric car would slow us down because it would need to be charged on 110. A hybrid is the best of both worlds. The only reason we don’t have the new Toyota sienna hybrid is because we are not spending $50,000 to replace our perfectly good 200,000 mile odyssey

My 1nzfe ran on synthetic and never had any noise issues, and I gave it absolute hell almost every time i drove it. Maybe your engine is gunked up and the synthetic has loosened something which has caused a noise.

Back